Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hello :)

I'm leaving for Spain (Mallorca) tomorrow. Do anyone of you have any first hand experience from using the iPad with a prepaid data plan (without the need for a contract)?

Who's the best carrier?
How much did it cost?
What APN settings did you use?

Also, if you have any tips about a store on Mallorca that might have the camera conection kit I'd be really happy to know about it :D

Kind regards,
Karl

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I just got back two weeks ago. We used a prepaid movi star sim in our iphones and tethered my iPad, and GFs laptop.

Worked amazingly, although wifi was easy to find for the most part.

Sorry I'm not sure on the details because she arranged everything. I know that it was very inexpensive compared to other countries we have traveled to. ($150 per week in Japan last year ouch). I think it cost us around $50 per week. I'm not sure if they offer micro sims as prepaid, so you may need to bring an exacto (in your checked luggage!!)

Another benefit to using the iPhone is downloading the app Line2 which lets you make free voip calls over 3g. I just forwarded my calls to my line2 # and left it in the background. We were able to make and receive calls as normal for free.

I'm jealous I wish I was back there for the World Cup Victory.

Eat some Tapas, and drink a tinto verano for me!

36995_1452659149925_1036656373_31274475_7978156_n.jpg

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
I just got back two weeks ago. We used a prepaid movi star sim in our iphones and tethered my iPad, and GFs laptop.

Worked amazingly, although wifi was easy to find for the most part.

Sorry I'm not sure on the details because she arranged everything. I know that it was very inexpensive compared to other countries we have traveled to. ($150 per week in Japan last year ouch). I think it cost us around $50 per week. I'm not sure if they offer micro sims as prepaid, so you may need to bring an exacto (in your checked luggage!!)

Another benefit to using the iPhone is downloading the app Line2 which lets you make free voip calls over 3g. I just forwarded my calls to my line2 # and left it in the background. We were able to make and receive calls as normal for free.

the OP is from sweden, not the US.

line 2 is a US only app...

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009

:D
Thank you for your advice! I'll send you a thought while sipping on the wine and browsing on my iPad ;)

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Karl,

Can you tell me about the availability of prepaid data SIMs in Sweden and Norway? I will be traveling there in a few weeks with my iPad 3G.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Karl,

Can you tell me about the availability of prepaid data SIMs in Sweden and Norway? I will be traveling there in a few weeks with my iPad 3G.

Thanks,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Hijacking my thread, aren't we ;)

I don't know about Norway, but there's several options for you here in sweden. You can chose among Telia, Tele2, Telenor or 3 (there's a few more but they use any of the aforementioned networks). None has micro-sim but as the iPad is around the corner they aren't far off. You need to trim the card (but I'm sure you already knew this)

All networks offers prepaid by the day, week or month. A month (max 5gb) is about $30. You kan by the cards at the newsstands and gas stations.
:)

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hi Kevin,

Hijacking my thread, aren't we ;)

I don't know about Norway, but there's several options for you here in sweden. You can chose among Telia, Tele2, Telenor or 3 (there's a few more but they use any of the aforementioned networks). None has micro-sim but as the iPad is around the corner they aren't far off. You need to trim the card (but I'm sure you already knew this)

All networks offers prepaid by the day, week or month. A month (max 5gb) is about $30. You kan by the cards at the newsstands and gas stations.
:)

Sorry for the hijack, and thanks! :)

Kevin

Mac Martyn

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Birmingham
I travel to Spain 6-7 times per year and i have been using a Yoigo prepaid sim the charges are €3 per day unlimited usage i have found it great as Yoigo uses the movistar network when it cannot find its own so you get the best of both worlds:)

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
... i have been using a Yoigo prepaid sim the charges are €3 per day unlimited usage...
That sounds great! Do you pay for the number of days you plan to use when you buy the sim card? Were do they sell the card (newsagents etc)?

What APN setting did you use?

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
While we're hijacking, is there a way to buy a sim that will work in multiple countries in continental Europe?

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I travel to Spain 6-7 times per year and i have been using a Yoigo prepaid sim the charges are €3 per day unlimited usage i have found it great as Yoigo uses the movistar network when it cannot find its own so you get the best of both worlds:)

My parents are going to Spain this weekend and I hope to let them use my unlocked iPhone to connect over there, and share a data connection. I initially started with Vodafone, because that seemed like the best deal, but now I realize that going with someone like Movestar might have been smarter since they have experience with the iPhone.

So while I'm technical, my parents are not. Can someone tell me what is the SIMPLEST way to get an iPhone working on a prepaid data plan over there? The voice calls don't mean much, but data is everything. If you know it, please include how much it costs per day to use data, and how much data you get for that price. I learned how important those questions are when using it in London and Dublin.

Thanks!

Factor1

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Stopped at an "Orange" kiosk, they had no idea what I was talking about. Stopped into an Orange store and they knew exactly what I needed. I paid 30 Euro for the card and it comes with 20 Euro credit. Each 24 hour period of use is 3.50 Euro. You can recharge the card online (from what I understand).

The only trouble that I had, was after I followed the instructions- I had to sync with my computer in order to update the settings (it needs to collect some data to enable the different micro-SIM maybe?).

So once installed, synced to computer, I was up and running!

Here are the full instructions (where I found the instruction to sync)
Configure iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.