Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Gartner: U.S. Mac Sales Market Share Nearing 10%

Research firms Gartner and IDC yesterday both released preliminary reports detailing U.S. and worldwide PC shipments for the second quarter of 2010, with both firms showing sales growth of Apple's Mac product outpacing that of the industry as a whole.

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-2Q10 (Gartner)
According to Gartner's report, Apple placed fourth among U.S. computer shipments with a 9.8% market share on unit growth of 24.7% over the year-ago quarter. The nearly-10% U.S. market share for the quarter marks a new high for Apple over the past 15 years or so according to Gartner's numbers, up from the previous quarter's 8.0% and from 9.1% in the year-ago quarter. Apple also climbed back into fourth place for U.S. shipments, taking back the spot it ceded to Toshiba two quarters ago in the face of strong netbook sales.

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)
Overall, Gartner saw a healthy 16% gain in U.S. PC shipments over the year-ago quarter, but pointed to slower growth in netbooks, reportedly due to cannibalization by Apple's iPad, which is not included in the study's numbers.
Quote:
"The consumer PC market registered double-digit shipment growth, but consumer mobile shipment growth slowed. This was due in part to slower growth of mini-notebooks," Ms. Kitagawa said. "Surging popularity of Apple's iPad temporarily cannibalized mini-notebooks, as well as consumer notebook sales to some degree. It is not certain at this stage if the cannibalization will continue with the current price point of media tablets."
IDC similarly reports Apple's U.S. Mac sales growth as outpacing the overall industry, but to a smaller degree. IDC puts Apple's U.S. market share for the quarter at 8.8% on a unit increase of 15.4% from the year-ago quarter, when it held an 8.6% share of sales. Still, that performance moves Apple back into fourth place ahead of Toshiba and outpaces the more modest overall U.S. industry growth of 12.6% seen by IDC.

IDC's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)
Neither Gartner nor IDC saw Apple break into their top 5 vendors for worldwide shipments, where Gartner sees Toshiba holding down the fifth spot with 5.1% share and IDC has Toshiba and Asus in a virtual tie at 5.3% at the bottom of its list.

Article Link: Gartner: U.S. Mac Sales Market Share Nearing 10%
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:07 AM   #2
bowler357
macrumors member

Woo Hoo a post that's not about the iPhone
bowler357 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Veri
macrumors 6502a

What proportion in business? Undergrad laptops?
Veri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
devinher
macrumors newbie

This is great news - and doesn't even tell the story of Apple's much stronger margins and dominance of the higher end segment.
devinher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Full of Win
Banned

Do they break it down on cost per unit? I'd be willing to bet that 20% of money spent on computers are done so on Macs, given their price premium over 299.99 Dells and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler357 View Post
Woo Hoo a post that's not about the iPhone
Yeah, except your post.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Yet tech pundits on MacBreak Weakly, Leo included, ask stupid questions like, "Is Apple turning its back on the Mac? Will iOS replace OS X?". Um, yeah sure, with more than a third of its revenue coming from Macs, Apple doesn't care about Macs. Idiots.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
xxgilxx
macrumors regular

As long as they do not put antennas on them I will expect more market growth. I love my Mac!!!
xxgilxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:18 AM   #8
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

OK Apple, you are on the verge of being significant. Release an updated Mac Pro already. Pretty please.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
LagunaSol
Banned

So much for the "Mac is dead to Apple" chestnut the haters like to throw around.

In the meantime, Dell and HP battle to see who can lose the most money selling bottom-barrel-budget PCs at razor-thin margins while submitting their monthly tribute check to fat-and-happy Microsoft.

An astounding business plan.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #10
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full of Win View Post
Do they break it down on cost per unit? I'd be willing to bet that 20% of money spent on computers are done so on Macs, given their price premium over 299.99 Dells and the like.

Yeah, except your post.
If you were so inclined you get close to guessing it by looking at the Mac segment total revenue and estimated gross margins and total unit sales.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #11
fishmoose
macrumors 68000

What were the worldwide numbers?
fishmoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:24 AM   #12
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgilxx View Post
As long as they do not put antennas on them I will expect more market growth. I love my Mac!!!
Expect to be disillusioned, then. Ever heard of Bluetooth?
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #13
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgilxx View Post
What about WiFi?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #14
Full of Win
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
Yet tech pundits on MacBreak Weakly, Leo included, ask stupid questions like, "Is Apple turning its back on the Mac? Will iOS replace OS X?". Um, yeah sure, with more than a third of its revenue coming from Macs, Apple doesn't care about Macs. Idiots.
To be fair, the end conclusion of the discussion was that they will likely not give up on the desktop market. It was Alex Lindsey pushing the stupid idea/prediction that Apple will open source the full OS X in the next five years. It seems everyone else was watching acting like a fool.

If you could distill Apple down to one word, it would be CONTROL. Whatever they do in the future will revolve around them maintaining or increasing control.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #15
johnnymg
macrumors 65816

This is excellent news.

The caveat to this news is that the average unit price (% wise) is declining almost as fast as the unit growth is increasing. The net affect is that the rev growth is only 10% ish. Nothing to sneeze at but the fanboys need to understand that MAC sales are becoming increasingly irrelevant (less important......) to Apple's overall financial state.

cheers to the longs
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Shackrat
macrumors newbie

We did our part...

We replaced two PCs with Macs in our household last month along with an Airport Extreme... At least with market sharing continuing to grow it will provide incentive for Apple to continue to innovate the platform.
Shackrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:35 AM   #17
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full of Win View Post
To be fair, the end conclusion of the discussion was that they will likely not give up on the desktop market. It was Alex Lindsey pushing the stupid idea/prediction that Apple will open source the full OS X in the next five years. It seems everyone else was watching acting like a fool.

If you could distill Apple down to one word, it would be CONTROL. Whatever they do in the future will revolve around them maintaining or increasing control.
After Andy beat them over the head for even considering it...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Iphtashu Fitz
macrumors member

And I'll personally see to it that they will grow by one more unit if they ever get around to refreshing the Mac Pro line...
Iphtashu Fitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:36 AM   #19
alexk82
macrumors regular

happy to say

happy to say like most of you here are part of that 10%
alexk82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:42 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

What I find most interesting is that the iPad is said to be taking boat loads of sales away from netbooks but iPads do not show up in Mac sales numbers.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Bimmi
macrumors regular

On the one hand, I want to welcome this as good news; on the other, I'm typing out this post on a very expensive computer that doesn't work all that well, with a visibly-aging OS that I can't even upgrade thanks to Apple's sloppy code testing.

I fear the only message this is going to send to Apple re the Mac is that they don't even have to try all that hard anymore. Or rather, it will reinforce that message, because I don't think they've been trying very hard for a while now.
Bimmi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:47 AM   #22
Journojulz
macrumors 65816

Braving the imminent chair throwing, does these figures include the iPad?

To further risk life and limb... Shouldn't they?

I Know it isn't a "proper computer" in the eyes of the techies, but it is kicking the netbook market square in the fork AND is up to the tasks most users users use most computers fore most often.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:48 AM   #23
Neerazan
macrumors member

These figures are pretty healthy, and actually in a couple of ways underplay Apple's success.

The iPad doesn't get included in these figures for Apple, but all the other PC makers have their netbook sales included. Looking at Acer and Dell, these numbers are pretty high in the mix of their unit sales.

Also, Apple is first and foremost a consumer focused company, whilst certain industries have used Macs for years, they don't have a massive footprint of sales into business.

Looking at the consumer market (where individuals are choosing to spend their own cash, not IT departments often making lowest common denominator type descisions for 100s or even 1000s of PCs at a go), Apple are a massive player in a way that many analysts have yet to realise.
Neerazan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:49 AM   #24
Porco
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
I agree, but Leo often puts points and counterpoints and changes his mind several times in one show(!). It's just a discussion. On MacBreak Weekly, I think Andy Ihnatko's analogy as the iOS devices being the new baby that needs attention was spot on... the mac can look after itself ok for a while (evidently if market share is still rising), the iOS stuff requires more promotion and attention while it is establishing itself.

I am personally a little bored with all the iOS focus too, but I can kind of understand why Apple feel they have to concentrate on that a little more than the mac. I don't think it means they are ready to stop making computers anytime soon though - I think they became Apple Inc. because they don't only make computers/software, not because they wanted to ditch the computers.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:50 AM   #25
abhimat.gautam
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to abhimat.gautam Send a message via Yahoo to abhimat.gautam
Wait, there's actually Mac news on MacRumors?!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion