Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Analyst Claims Design Fix for iPhone 4 Signal Issue Being Deployed

TheStreet reports on new research from Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar claiming that Apple has developed an internal insulator to isolate the iPhone 4's antenna connection that has been causing signal reception issues.
Quote:
Apple has created "a design fix for the iPhone 4 that more adequately insulates the transceiver," said Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar, who spoke to the company's manufacturing partners.

Apple has told its manufacturers to alter the iPhone production process to include an internal component that will insulate the defective antenna connection that has disrupted the phone's signal reception, said Kumar. This internal bumper will give Apple a non-cosmetic solution and will presumably avoid the need to change the appearance of the phone, said Kumar.
The report notes that the implied change to Apple's manufacturing process is making its presence known in Apple's U.S. online retail store, where shipping estimates have slipped to three weeks from a 7-10 business day timeframe earlier. MacRumors has also received word that Apple has been delaying some iPhone 4 orders that had been carrying delivery estimates for the next few days, pushing them out to delivery next week while citing "an unexpected delay".

It remains to be seen if and how such an internal insulator would be distributed to existing iPhone owners, either on as-needed basis or through a complete recall. It is also unknown whether such a fix can simply be applied to existing iPhones or if units would need to be swapped out for replacement. Further details from Apple regarding the antenna issue are widely expected to be shared at the company's press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Kumar's track record is relatively unknown, as he has only recently begun covering Apple. He has been quite vocal on the idea of a Verizon iPhone, claiming in January that Apple had settled on a CDMA-only chip from Qualcomm for the Verizon iPhone while reporting in late May that Apple had given manufacturing partner Pegatron/Asustek the go-ahead for Verizon iPhone production for as early as November of this year. Kumar has also reported that Apple has secured an 8-megapixel camera sensor from Sony for the 2011 iPhone, a claim that obviously has not been verified or disproved yet.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Design Fix for iPhone 4 Signal Issue Being Deployed
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

If he's right, voluntary recall seems what is getting announced tomorrow.

It would also mean that the 2nd batch of countries getting iPhone 4 would suffer from a delay in receiving their initial shipments.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
vijay007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

TheStreet reports on new research from Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar claiming that Apple has developed an internal insulator to isolate the iPhone 4's antenna connection that has been causing signal reception issues.The report notes that the implied change to Apple's manufacturing process is making its presence known in Apple's U.S. online retail store, where shipping estimates have slipped to three weeks from a 7-10 business day timeframe earlier. MacRumors has also received word that Apple has been delaying some iPhone 4 orders that had been carrying delivery estimates for the next few days, pushing them out to delivery next week while citing "an unexpected delay".

It remains to be seen if and how such an internal insulator would be distributed to existing iPhone owners, either on as-needed basis or through a complete recall. It is also unknown whether such a fix can simply be applied to existing iPhones or if units would need to be swapped out for replacement. Further details from Apple regarding the antenna issue are widely expected to be shared at the company's press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Kumar's track record is relatively unknown, as he has only recently begun covering Apple. He has been quite vocal on the idea of a Verizon iPhone, claiming in January that Apple had settled on a CDMA-only chip from Qualcomm for the Verizon iPhone while reporting in late May that Apple had given manufacturing partner Pegatron/Asustek the go-ahead for Verizon iPhone production for as early as November of this year. Kumar has also reported that Apple has secured an 8-megapixel camera sensor from Sony for the 2011 iPhone, a claim that obviously has not been verified or disproved yet.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Design Fix for iPhone 4 Signal Issue Being Deployed
This is what I like to hear
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4
fishmoose
macrumors 68000

Any word on how this effects international launch that was set to begin this month?
fishmoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5
suade8880
macrumors member

Yes!!! I knew I had faith in Apple all along for a fixed. Now where do we begin with millions that is already been sold? Either way very good news.
suade8880 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Fidget08
macrumors regular

Well looks like im returning mine and waiting a couple more weeks!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:12 PM   #7
sutherland
macrumors newbie

Meh, just an analyst.

This is Apple's Red Ring of Death. Not everyone that has an iPhone 4 reports the issues, so I'm sure that if they do modify the design, there will be some replacement program if you have issues.
sutherland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8
toddybody

Huh?

You mean, it ISNT a software problem?
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #9
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmoose View Post
Any word on how this effects international launch that was set to begin this month?
I would imagine that you're screwed for the time being. If they can't fulfill orders in the US because of a design fix, then there's probably no way they're going to roll them out on time overseas.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Vertigo50
macrumors 65816

Should we start collecting quotes from all the people in the forums of people saying "There won't be a recall people, keep dreaming."?

This will be a very interesting press conference tomorrow.

If they do a recall, I'm really interested to see what Apple's response will be for why they lied about the issue and told people to hold it differently when they knew this was an issue.

Let me guess: They were stunned to discover it.
Vertigo50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Perihelion
macrumors regular

If true, this is the right thing to do. I'll be the first to applaud if this is announced...
Perihelion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:15 PM   #12
henhowc
macrumors regular

Hopefully this will go into the white iphones that haven't shipped yet.
henhowc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

so.....umm...basically, MR is reporting on what some guy has said will happen......and all the other things the same guy has said will happen still haven't happened?

wow.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #14
thetaylor13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
Hopefully this will go into the white iphones that haven't shipped yet.
Guaranteed

If this is true that is...
thetaylor13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #15
baryon
macrumors 68030

So what about the rumours about the non-conductive antenna on Page 2? I can't imagine Apple having two different fixes for the issue! Also, how would internal insulation protect from your finger connecting the external, uninsulated antennas?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #16
fishmoose
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
I would imagine that you're screwed for the time being. If they can't fulfill orders in the US because of a design fix, then there's probably no way they're going to roll them out on time overseas.
Dammit! Might get my relatives in the UK to do me a favor then.
fishmoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #17
fredeil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmoose View Post
Hopefully delayed for a few weeks so that we get the non-defect version.
And I hope the white iPhone will be shipping at the same time as the black ones.
fredeil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:17 PM   #18
vincenz
macrumors 601

Not sure if I buy it. Sounds like another analyst reaching and hoping it comes true so he can claim credibility. Either way, we'll see for sure tomorrow.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:17 PM   #19
Consultant
macrumors G5

Hum can't tell whether this is legit, but would be good if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Great image, but it doesn't use the updated taller bars. =p
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:18 PM   #20
nopple
Banned

Same Dbag who claimed of verizon Ipad in Jan 2010 and t-mobile iphone in July 2010
nopple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:18 PM   #21
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I'd like to see a detailed analysis from a reputable tech site (read non-BGR or Jizzmodo) that can describe how this works, provided that's what's going to happen at the event tomorrow.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:19 PM   #22
tharoc
macrumors newbie

I'll believe it when I see it...
tharoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #23
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
so.....umm...basically, MR is reporting on what some guy has said will happen......and all the other things the same guy has said will happen still haven't happened?

wow.
Well, until Apple decides to tell what they are going to do, there is a vacuum of information, and something is going to fill it. If Apple had been a bit more forthcoming all along, these types of stories wouldn't be needed.
jrbdmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Tyre
macrumors regular

What a day tomorrow will be. iPhones will be hitting the fan (or more likely the TV screen) all across America.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Stay Tuned
Banned

But I thought I was just holding it wrong?
Stay Tuned is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion