Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
is this possible? i have an iphone and i would like to sync it to my desktop but also have the need to sync it to my laptop when im away from home. is there any way to do this? any help is greatly appreciated

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I would like to do this too

I have all of my apps and music on a external hard drive so I'd like to be able to add/remove content on my home PC and my work one too. I've looked all over the net, and even tried some of the suggestions, and it never works :confused:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
By logic, you can't "sync" anything with more than one thing. Syncing means mirroring the content of one device with another. Thus, if you synced your iPhone with one computer, than the other computer would have the same content. Therefore, there is no need to sync with more than one computer.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
I have all of my apps and music on a external hard drive so I'd like to be able to add/remove content on my home PC and my work one too. I've looked all over the net, and even tried some of the suggestions, and it never works :confused:

You mentioned that you have content on an external drive. Why don't you just move your iTunes Library onto said external? That's what I do, and it works flawlessly betwixt my iMac and my MacBook Pro. 'Google moving iTunes Library to external drive' and you should get an official Apple document on the procedure (it's not really that hard, even). As long as all your computers are pointed to the iTunes Library on the external drive, everything should be good - I'm not sure if an upper limit exists, but I'm only using two computers with my external at this time.

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
See I have my library moved on my home computer but for some reason when I plug the external into my work machine, and try to point it to the same place, it doesn't work?

GTghost

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
California
You can do it but it is a major pain to set up but once you have it running it works great. I have set up 3 computers (1 Mac and 2 PCs) that allow me sync music/videos to my iPhone.

HowTo

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/30/how-to-sync-an-iphone-with-two-or-more-computers.html

You can also use this program to transfer media content to and from any iphone.

http://www.xilisoft.com/iphone-transfer.html

Thats the same method I am using right now, I only use it to sync music from my laptop and pc, works like a charm.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
See I have my library moved on my home computer but for some reason when I plug the external into my work machine, and try to point it to the same place, it doesn't work?

How did you move your library? I'm making the assumption that this method works on PCs as it does on Macs, but you should first look in Preferences -> Advanced and enter the path to the desired iTunes folder (on the external HDD), then Consolidate your iTunes Library. That last process will copy all your content to the external HDD. Lastly, on your computers, plug in the external HDD, hold down the ALT key, then drill down to the iTunes folder on the external HDD to point that computer's version of iTunes to the iTunes library there.

Not to sound too harsh, but you could've Googled it also. I simply entered "move itunes library to external drive" and it only took 2 seconds, with the Apple doc the first hit in the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.