Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
I am trying out the official apple iPad case and have notices a pretty strong odor. Can I wash this thing in warm water with soap? Any other solutions?

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
The Apple Case, like many others is made from a product called PU leather made from leath (Not actual leather, more like leather biproduct) which uses alot of glue and chemicals which result in a very strong smell.

The smell should disappear in about a week with usage as it is exposed to air and daily usage :)

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
The Apple Case, like many others is made from a product called TPU leather made from leath (Not actual leather, more like leather biproduct) which uses alot of glue and chemicals which result in a very strong smell.

The smell should disappear in about a week with usage as it is exposed to air and daily usage :)

Can I wash it to expedite the removal of odor?

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Here is some info on PU leather from my previous thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/945791/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bicast leather
(Redirected from PU leather)
Jump to: navigation, search

Bicast leather (also known as bycast leather, split leather or PU leather) is a split leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed. Bycast was originally made for the shoe industry and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product is cheaper than top grain leather and has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain.

The use of the term "leather" in relation to this bicast treatment is considered a misrepresentation and therefore not permitted in the United Kingdom and New Zealand [1] Furniture made with bicast exhibits none of the characteristics associated with genuine leather; it will not develop a patina or suppleness nor otherwise "improve with age". With constant use the polyurethane layer will crack and split free of its backing.[2][3]

Modern technology permits up to three or four horizontal layers being taken from the one hide. The leather used in the backing of bicast is a thin, otherwise worthless, layer remaining after better quality layers have been removed for traditional leather work[citation needed] and contributes nothing to the look and feel of the end product.

Furniture manufacturers say that the main benefit of bicast leather is its price. Lower grades of leather can be used during the manufacturing process and treating with polyurethane gives a uniform shine and a long-lasting "like new" appearance. Bicast leather looks best, they say, on furniture with taut seat cushions and pillows. It can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth. New bicast leather furniture can have a slight chemical smell, but this typically dissipates about a week after the piece is exposed to air.[4]

As far as washing it, I'm not positive. Probably with a damp cloth but nothing like in the washing machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.