Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Barcelona
Has anyone managed to install Windows7 with bootcamp in a MBA without a Superdrive?

I have tried anything I could find in the internet, but I am stuck right now.

Thanks

David

dextro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Barcelona

This does not work with Parallels 5. The problem is that when windows tries to restart for the first time and you stop the VM, then the bootcamp volume is not properly mounted.

The solution I found after spending the whole weekend is:

-proceed to the installation as mentioned in the article you mention until the first reboot is necessary. This is actually only to make the partition bootable. Probably it is already when you create it in bootcamp, but as the system works now I don't want to try.
-Stop the VM
-properly unmount the drive with disk utility, remount it
-delete all the contents of the bootcamp partition (do no
-copy the contents of the Windows installation CD (only tried with Windows7).
-reboot the mac and keep the option key pressed.
-select the windows volume to boot.
-proceed with windows installation normally selecting the same drive that contains the installation files (the bootcamp partition).
-when windows boots for the first time you can delete the files and folders of the installation
-install the windows bootcamp drivers
-install the nvidia driver.

DONE

Cheers.

David

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
i havent installed Win7 on my computer using bootcamp (did it through parallels 5) so i might be way off base but....maybe you can download Windows7 onto your computer via the internet? If you havent bought it already, you can do so through the Microsoft Store (http://www.microsoftstore.com/s/windows7?WT.mc_id=pointitsem_win7_download&WT.srch=1). If you already did buy it, perhaps you can give MS a call and see if they will give you access to a download version?

Dan

okdone

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
This does not work with Parallels 5. The problem is that when windows tries to restart for the first time and you stop the VM, then the bootcamp volume is not properly mounted.

-proceed to the installation as mentioned in the article you mention until the first reboot is necessary. This is actually only to make the partition bootable. Probably it is already when you create it in bootcamp, but as the system works now I don't want to try.
-Stop the VM
-proceed with windows installation normally selecting the same drive that contains the installation files (the bootcamp partition).
-when windows boots for the first time you can delete the files and folders of the installation

DONE

Cheers.

David

Hi David,

Thanks a lot. I'm so upset why I didn't reach this thread early. These steps worked for me like a charm on my Macbook 2,1. Here is my troublesome encounter which was finally solved with your help. Thanks a lot.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK

-Stop the VM

DONE

Cheers.

David

Thanks for that guide. Have an i7 MacBook Pro, and fell backwards on icy snow a couple of weeks back, and my bag swang backwards so it was between me and the ground when I fell. Thankfully I got off pretty lightly and the only thing damaged was the DVD drive. Been trying so many different methods to get Windows on without it, none of which worked.

Followed your method, however after copying the USB installer files onto the drive and restarting, it was only showing the OS X drive. Prepared for more disappointment as a last throw of the dice decided to load rEFIt onto a USB stick and gave it a try, picked up the partition and then install went through without a hitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.