Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
My iOS4 apps just got the "ready for sale" email and should be in the App Store shortly. Here's a "Find My iPhone" alternative.

iTunes Link: itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trackmyphone/id368149172?mt=8

iTunes Description:
Unlike the other "fake" phone tracker apps out there, TrackMyPhone can be used see where your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0 has been. Using the background significant location change methods, your phone location is stored and the history able to be viewed from any web browser. Simply start the app, register or sign in, and select your desired accuracy. That's it. Then any time your device detects a significant location change it will submit the new location to the server. To view your location history, simply log into the website with your app username/password. You can then view the coordinates with matching timestamp, and plot the point on a map.
This is useful in lifestyle mapping, keeping track of your kids/spouse, finding the location of a lost/stolen phone. Similar to Apple's "Find My iPhone" (although not as robust).

Please note: The app will not update if the phone is restored or someone deletes the app/signs out of the app. The app needs to be installed and signed in for it to update locations.

Your information is private. Data is transmitted over SSL and your location data is only visible by you

Features I'm already working on for update:
-Track locations from within the app
-Mobile web interface
-Location tagging
-Account bridging
-Send a push notification to display a message or play a sound to help find a lost phone
- Will be constantly updating the web interface for a better experience.

Please send any feedback and suggestions. Will post some promo codes for MR users later tonight.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Will there be any fix on the location arrow icon being displayed always? Or you really just have to re-install it? And where exactly are the locations stored?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I just got this application. Works great! I would like to see the application being password protected. This way when a push notification is sent and the person with the phone unlocks it, it will just go to a passcode screen and they won't know what it is. But that starts the application up again. :D

I will wait and see how the battery life is.

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Just downloaded this app! It works! Quick question, To my knowledge it doesn't constantly use the location services right? I wouldn't want it to drain my battery too much.

jakej914

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Ok. First, I downloaded the app a while back and it has been working great for the most part. I have the accuracy set to "Better" (as opposed to "Good" or "Best"), and have not noticed any degradation of battery life...and I use my iP4 a lot. The accuracy is really good, and if you have a passcode set, this is a great alternative to MobileMe.

In response to an earlier post, location services are only used when your location changes somewhat significantly. So, no, it is not using GPS all the time.

In response to accuracy compared to the Latitude app...Google Latitude is only a webapp. Therefore, it cannot take advantage of iOS 4's geographical change API. However, accuracy is pretty spot on. Load times vary by device, weather, location, etc. But you won't really be worrying about load times. The point of this app is to track your location in the background so that, in case your phone is stolen (or you just lost it), you can track it down.

aronmc94

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Work when sleeping?

Hi guys,

Just wondering, does this app still manage to update the location when the iPhone is sleeping/locked somehow? I have passcode lock on, so a combination of that and this app would protect my iPhone considerably should something happen to it, providing a viable alternative to MobileMe.

Old-school reader, n00b poster, btw. ;)

Cheers.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded to questions! Just letting you know, version 1.1 is in review and should hopefully be approved any day now. Addressing some of the things posted:

- web interface now HTTPS (and new interface coming when the v1.1 goes live)
- a passcode unlock is now an option in the app (and if using an iPhone 4 the front camera will take a picture if the incorrect code is entered)
- monitoring should be more accurate and more frequent.
- new UI and app icon (much nicer thanks to the guys at Keherance).

To the person that asked about the location services arrow. I consulted with someone from Apple on this and they informed me that due to changes that were made to location services, any time an app is using the significantLocationChange methods the arrow will always be visible, not just when it's doing an update. So in the case of this app, it is normal if the arrow is permanently displayed unless you sign out of the app. It is not using extra battery. All my testing on 2 devices showed no battery difference with the arrow always visible.

To the person asking about the phone locked/sleeping, I know for a fact it works when the phone is locked. I put my phone in my car and leave it there all day. Work for 8+ hours then drive home. Points on my drive to work are logged and then points on my drive back home are logged (obviously nothing is logged while at work since the phone isn't moving).

Lots of other updates I'm still working on. I'd really like to make this an app people want to have. So please send any suggestions and feedback to support@trackmyphoneapp.com. I love the suggestions users are sending in.

aronmc94

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Excellent!

Wow - brilliant! This app is sounding better and better! As soon as 1.1 is approved I'm making my purchase! :) Oh, psst.. any discount for us long term followers/supporters of this project?! :p

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Promo codes will be posted.

agjake01

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Any chance you can incorporate a daemon that would install in the background and delete the app for more covert tracking? I know iLocalis used this method a while back and it worked well for keeping tabs on the phone without the user knowing it was installed?

acssprez1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Just bought it

Seems to work as advertised :) Does this app automatically monitor if the phone has been rebooted?? I see the GPS arrow but not sure if its running in the background or not. Guess I could go for a ride to find out on my own :)

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded to questions! Just letting you know, version 1.1 is in review and should hopefully be approved any day now. Addressing some of the things posted:

- web interface now HTTPS (and new interface coming when the v1.1 goes live)
- a passcode unlock is now an option in the app (and if using an iPhone 4 the front camera will take a picture if the incorrect code is entered)
- monitoring should be more accurate and more frequent.
- new UI and app icon (much nicer thanks to the guys at Keherance).

To the person that asked about the location services arrow. I consulted with someone from Apple on this and they informed me that due to changes that were made to location services, any time an app is using the significantLocationChange methods the arrow will always be visible, not just when it's doing an update. So in the case of this app, it is normal if the arrow is permanently displayed unless you sign out of the app. It is not using extra battery. All my testing on 2 devices showed no battery difference with the arrow always visible.

To the person asking about the phone locked/sleeping, I know for a fact it works when the phone is locked. I put my phone in my car and leave it there all day. Work for 8+ hours then drive home. Points on my drive to work are logged and then points on my drive back home are logged (obviously nothing is logged while at work since the phone isn't moving).

Lots of other updates I'm still working on. I'd really like to make this an app people want to have. So please send any suggestions and feedback to support@trackmyphoneapp.com. I love the suggestions users are sending in.

Thanks for this post to confirm couple things. I can't wait for the update!

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Promo codes will be posted.

Just curious when we could expect these promo codes? I am very interested in this app!! Just want to make sure I don't miss anything ;)

aronmc94

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Code?

Just curious when we could expect these promo codes? I am very interested in this app!! Just want to make sure I don't miss anything ;)

Ditto! Also, how do you mean by 'code'? Because like the guys above, as far as I know, there is no 'promo code' system for the app store? :S

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
Ditto! Also, how do you mean by 'code'? Because like the guys above, as far as I know, there is no 'promo code' system for the app store? :S

I have never used a promo code either so I am curious how this process works as well. Thanks! (from the newbie on promo codes)

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Any chance you can incorporate a daemon that would install in the background and delete the app for more covert tracking? I know iLocalis used this method a while back and it worked well for keeping tabs on the phone without the user knowing it was installed?
Can't be possible with App Store apps :(

Just wondering, how do you use discount codes when purchasing the app on the iphone?
They only work in US store. Just go to the Featured apps, scroll all the way down, and tap on "Redeem."

As soon as v1.1 is approved.

I got a rejection notice this afternoon. Apple didn't like the way I was using the camera. I made the changes they suggested and immediately re-submitted it. Hopefully I don't need to wait another 7+ days.

surferrob

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Seems like Apple doesn't care about junk apps like fake "cell phone trackers" going through by the dozens, but legitimate apps like yours get nitpicked over. What could they possibly not like about the way you were using the camera? Don't you just turn it on, snap a pic and send it? I don't understand why there'd be an issue over that. :confused:

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
Seems like Apple doesn't care about junk apps like fake "cell phone trackers" going through by the dozens, but legitimate apps like yours get nitpicked over. What could they possibly not like about the way you were using the camera? Don't you just turn it on, snap a pic and send it? I don't understand why there'd be an issue over that. :confused:

just like wi-fi sync, they probably want to take credit for the idea

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.