Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
After using third party software on my dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5, I had to force shut down by holding down the power button because the computer had completely frozen up. When I pressed the power button to turn the machine back on, there was a flash and a loud explosion from the computer. The G5 no longer boots, and is completely unresponsive. Any ideas as to what happened? Is there any way to fix this, or do I need a new computer?

After using third party software on my dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5, I had to force shut down by holding down the power button because the computer had completely frozen up. When I pressed the power button to turn the machine back on, there was a flash and a loud explosion from the computer. The G5 no longer boots, and is completely unresponsive. Any ideas as to what happened? Is there any way to fix this, or do I need a new computer?

I would guess the third-party software had little to do with it. Sounds like the power supply cooked off/shorted out.

I would venture to say, she's given all she has to give. You wanted a new Mac Pro anyways, right?

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
Nothing abnormal inside

Have you disconnected the power and looked inside the PowerMac for any visual confirmation of some kind of damage?

There is no physical damage on the inside of the G5. I cleaned it out with some canned air, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
The flash and bang came from the front panel of the G5, near the power button. Don't know if this is important, but throwing it out there in case it is.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OMFG :eek: You'll be lucky if it's only PSU damaged (i guess it's lobo too). If you can afford new computer then go for it. I've seen many dying/dead G5, but no one was end with explosion...

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
I was browsing the internet trying to find out more information on the explosion, and found this at http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic4026.html.

"You can add my G5 2.0 DP to the list.
Yesterday, I went to turn it on and when I pressed the power button there was a very loud pop with a bright blue spark from around the button and now the machine is completely dead.
Looks like there are others having the same problem."

I also read that the explosion may have been caused by a blown capacitor in the front panel.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
The flash and bang came from the front panel of the G5, near the power button. Don't know if this is important, but throwing it out there in case it is.

Hmm, it's little changing things... but not much, i think. Front panel is burnt for sure. To remove it you must disassembly almost whole unit: CPU, PSU and lobo. To test rest of components, you will need to get working one (or other G5 case). If you want to try and don't know how to disassembly your G5, PM me your email address, and i will send you service source (if you don't have one).

mannyrm

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
Sounds like the Thermocouplers blew. Could be due to a faulty Magneto Hydro propulsion inducer. :eek:

I've seen this happen before, As a PC repair tech, I normally pull out the p/s and try to see if it gives a burnt oder.

If the Mac P/S has a fuse, it could have blown to protect the unit.
:eek:
Good luck

applegeek13

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
I would take it to an Apple store and see if they'll fix it or replace it for free. Even out of warranty, they might repair/replace due to manufacturer error, e.g. Leaky G5 Quads. If not, no harm done, either fix it yourself or buy a new Mac. Good luck! :)

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008

From my experience as an Apple tech I can all but guarantee your PSU fried (and might of taken more hardware with it). We had quite a few machines come in with your same problem.

Take it in for repairs but it's up in the air as to what happens. Some shops have the parts to do the job and some don't; supplies are all but dried up on G5 replacements. Just before I left my job, we were told by Apple not to touch G5s anymore and to give the customer a number to call (Some customer's were given Mac Pro's free of charge).

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
I will be taking the G5 in for repairs tomorrow. Hope it's not completely fried. If it is, I'll probably be better off getting a new 8 core Mac Pro anyway...

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
If it is fried, consider ebaying the enclosure instead of letting Apple have it. There's quite a demand for them, and they often go for well over $100.

Apple2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Providence, RI
I came home from work, and found a Mac Pro sitting on my desk. It seems my parents felt generous. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!

SPECS:
8 core 2.26ghz
6gb RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Mac OS-X Snow Leopard

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I came home from work, and found a Mac Pro sitting on my desk. It seems my parents felt generous. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!

SPECS:
8 core 2.26ghz
6gb RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Mac OS-X Snow Leopard

Sweet. Now I know they'll be updated tomorrow for sure. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.