Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I would like to know if I also have to purchase from AT&T their monthly charge in order to run the iPad. I have an iMac and on that it has wifi so I am told and if I activate it I would be able to use my iPad at home.
Is this true?
Thanks

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Well you can buy the 3G iPad or the WiFi only model.

If you buy the 3G iPad, you do not have to activate the 3G service if you don't want it. It works on a month by month basis. So if you want it one month, go into the settings app and activate it. Then if you decide you don't need it the next month, go and turn it off. Very simple.
More info here

If you do have WiFi, you don't need a 3G iPad unless you want to get internet access in places other than your home or other places with WiFi.

Does that help answer your questions?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I would like to know if I also have to purchase from AT&T their monthly charge in order to run the iPad. I have an iMac and on that it has wifi so I am told and if I activate it I would be able to use my iPad at home.
Is this true?
Thanks

1) iPad model=> use at home, library, motel, Starbucks, down the street, where-ever there is a wifi network (that functions right).

2) 3g+wifi +> also have the option of using cellular network. No contract. Just need to get a SIM and pay month by month (in advance) if you want to use the cellular.

Simple.

Well you can buy the 3G iPad or the WiFi only model.

If you buy the 3G iPad, you do not have to activate the 3G service if you don't want it. It works on a month by month basis. So if you want it one month, go into the settings app and activate it. Then if you decide you don't need it the next month, go and turn it off. Very simple.
More info here

If you do have WiFi, you don't need a 3G iPad unless you want to get internet access in places other than your home or other places with WiFi.

Does that help answer your questions?

Yes, but the GPS/location servies might be something that someone wants, even if they use an App that installs all the maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.