Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrockman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I noticed with my 3G I could lock the phone during calls. I also noticed that the iPhone would recognize if I had the phone up to my ear and the screen would black out avoiding any "face hang-ups" etc.

The iPhone 4 will end a call if I hit the lock button. Also, when the phone is up to my ear, I have noticed it sometimes switched to speaker mode or worse hang up!

Anyone else having that problem?

InfoSecGeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Not Just Me!

Same here... I'm used to locking the phone during a phone call to avoid accidentally hanging up on people during a conversation. I did this all of the time with my 3GS, but now with the iPhone 4 I have managed to accidentally hang up on more people than I would like. When I hit the top power/lock button, it just ends the calls.

Also, I have hung up on people while the phone was being held on my ear... I'm not sure if it's because I am trying to adjust my hand so as to "not hold the phone wrong" to avoid reception issues. The calls will either just end, the speaker will suddenly go on, or FaceTime tries to get activated.

Ugh...

I thought it was just me, but it looks like that is not the case.

Any thoughts?

jmccray

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
lol...i actually had someone on mute like the whole time and didn't even know it. guess my face touched the button. then they kept saying "hello hello hello" and i was like "i hear you"....lmao....they thought i had dropped the call....lol.

meaghekm

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Same problem here!!

I waited 16 hours in line yesterday for an iPhone to find out that I cannot lock my phone while talking to someone. I consistently keep hanging up on people.

Why would Apple do such a thing?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That is odd, because I don't ever remember being able to press the Sleep/Wake button while on a call and not have it hang up.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I still don't get that feature... I'm still on a 1st Gen iPhone :eek: I've been using it for 2 years, and I'm gonna buy the iPhone 4 ASAP!
anyway, this feature works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't... first I thought it might be, that if I'm receiving the call, I can lock the screen with the sleep/wake button... and if i'm making the call, I'll hang up when I press it.... but then one day I tried it again, and proved to be hanging up when pressed, yesterday it locked the screen :mad: :confused: :eek:

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
If you hold the two phones (3G/3GS and 4) you will notice that the 3G/3GS had 3 little dots to the left handside of the earpiece, these are what recognised the change in light for your ear during a phonecall, auto brightness etc.

If you now look at the iPhone 4, they have moved this to one small bar above the earpiece (as the front facing camera now covers where they used to be).

Solution? Hold the phone a bit lower lol

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
i just tested the lock button and mine does not hang up on the call when it is pressed. it locks the phone and maintains the call

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Its the proximity sensor, its a known issue for some people. There is a senor on the phone that tells it when is up to your face, its not working for some. Hopefully its a software issue.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
so, I just tried it out yet again...

as it seems, the sleep/wake button locks the screen but keeps the call active, when you have the call on Speaker, or when you're talking through the Apple earphones w/ mic.

and when the call is in normal mode (through the earpiece), when you click the sleep/wake button, the call will be ended, whether the screen was on or off (due to the proximity sensor).

try it out, and let me know...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The iPhone 4 will end a call if I hit the lock button. Also, when the phone is up to my ear, I have noticed it sometimes switched to speaker mode or worse hang up!

Anyone else having that problem?

Yes. Just experienced a random hang up via phone lock. I'm thinking it's part of the proximity sensor issue. First time I've had a wonky issue with this phone.

My first iP4 had the yellow spot isssue which I traded in for my current one. That phone would randomly go to speakerphone mode. Odd, annoying, and potentially embarrassing.

imaginex20

macrumors 65832
Jun 17, 2009
Just tested this and the phone does hang up when pressing the power button while the screen is turned off from the proximity sensor.

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
I also have found what is reported above, the power button is used to end the call (proximity sensor in use or not) when the standard earpiece is activated. When talking via headset, bluetooth (car speakerphone or headset), or iPhone speakerphone, the function is treated as a screen lock.

It would be very nice to have an option in the software, as I don't think there is any other way to lock the screen during a call.

jerethemiah

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
i get so annoyed with this, i keep hitting mute and the other end is like "hello? are you still there?" and i've hit facetime button with my face so many times.

there's already a large red button the the screen labeled "End Call" to hang up, why do we need another button on the top that does the same feature? why would it not lock the screen in a call like the button does any other time you press it?? hopefully they patch this.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Patch what? This has been this way since 2007. Every iPhone I've ever owned (which is the 2G, 3G, 3GS and 4) all work the same way. The power button only locks the screen if you're NOT using the earpiece, i.e. it locks only if you're using the speakerphone, BT, earphones etc.

Any of you saying it wasn't this way on the 3GS are just not remembering correctly.

arcline11

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
iPhone 4 major problem

I've been totally frustrated with inadvertent hang-ups, inadvertent going to speaker, randomly calling others in my address book, etc. while just trying to talk to someone. Never had this issue with my iP3. Bought a case, covered the screen with a protective film; still have major problem. My ear touching the screen makes it do random things. I try locking the phone and it hangs up on my call! Very unhappy with this issue. It's like the iPhone 4 is just oh so fabulous for every thing in the known universe except actually OPERATING AS A PHONE!!! I'm looking for a patch ASAP. C'mon Apple........:mad:

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
I've been totally frustrated with inadvertent hang-ups, inadvertent going to speaker, randomly calling others in my address book, etc. while just trying to talk to someone. Never had this issue with my iP3. Bought a case, covered the screen with a protective film; still have major problem. My ear touching the screen makes it do random things. I try locking the phone and it hangs up on my call! Very unhappy with this issue. It's like the iPhone 4 is just oh so fabulous for every thing in the known universe except actually OPERATING AS A PHONE!!! I'm looking for a patch ASAP. C'mon Apple........:mad:

Such passion... Apple has indicated an update for the proximity sensor is forthcoming

hatei4jared

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Absolutely

This happens to me literally everyday, all day.. I went to a Genius today at an Apple store in Milwaukee,WI. Which took two hours out of my day (for the second time I'd like to point out)...I was able to demonstrate in person to a Genius the inconsistencies of locking the phone while on a live call. Well my I4 didn't let me down on the lock issue, dropped calls, and hang-ups etc. In the end I was left disgusted with the way the Genius/Apple handled it... To hear more on this topic along with many many others just like ours check out, Droppedcalls.net

tuan time

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
The lock/sleep button WILL hang up your call if it is pressed. It doesn't end call if you're using speaker phone or the headphones.

CAsweetgrass

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Figured it out!

So, I was having the same problem and very frustrated. I think I figured out an easy workaround. If you push the home button - the indented button on the bottom of the screen - the screen will go to your home screen, and show app icons instead of the call screen. Then you can't hang up!

SusanDC

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I have had all of these things happen to me when I inadvertently pressed commands on the screen with my face. It muted, hung up and switched to face talk a few times. What a nightmare. I had to try to always use a bluetooth headset but then people can't hear me as well.

frankroshi

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
This happens to me literally everyday, all day.. I went to a Genius today at an Apple store in Milwaukee,WI. Which took two hours out of my day (for the second time I'd like to point out)...I was able to demonstrate in person to a Genius the inconsistencies of locking the phone while on a live call. Well my I4 didn't let me down on the lock issue, dropped calls, and hang-ups etc. In the end I was left disgusted with the way the Genius/Apple handled it... To hear more on this topic along with many many others just like ours check out, Droppedcalls.net

I went to droppedcalls.net. Nothing. However, if I enter http://www.droppedcalls.net I get the website you recommended. Not very helpful. Perhaps a lack of attention plays a role in your I4 difficulties? Just kidding. My sweet little I4 hasn't matured yet and I am getting lots of face presses that lead to muting me. That is frustrating. I don't learn of the muting until I hear, "Hello? Hello? Frank? Hello?" Then I take the phone from my face, shake it, press the mute button, put it back to my face (in a hurry so I don't get hung up on), and then spend a moment explaining the glitch in the conversation.

Frustrating. SO unApple-like. Another reason not to be an early adopter. However, I am pleased overall with the phone. Especially since I jailbroke it and got Style Tap WHICH ALLOWS ME TO RUN MY PALM APPS!!!

So how do you stop the face presses?????

Fanatical Apple customer since 1988.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.