Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
sync my ipad, ipod touch and iphone to the computer and i will be able to sync the songs to all them devices? I mean i could play the song i paid for on any of them devices?

Also how many devices can i sync to the same itunes library?

Finally if i networked an imac, macbook, ipad and iphone would the library of songs be populated on the macbook and imac as its the same itunes account?

Matt

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The answer is yes, you can sync your purchased music to all of those devices. As far as I know, there isn't any limit to the number of mobile devices (iPods, Phones, and Pads). For that matter none of the audio now sold on the iTMS has any copy protection at all--it's wide open. (Video sadly but unsurprisingly does.)

As for multiple Macs, you have two options: If one of them is on and acting as a music server, the other Mac(s) can play the music in its library directly over the network. I've done this at home and it works fine. Alternately, you can have up to five Macs authorized to play the content in your iTunes library, in which case you need to synchronize the songs from one to the other. "Home Sharing," when you enable it in iTunes, is designed to do exactly this (although I believe only for iTunes purchased music, not stuff from Amazon or downloads)--it automatically synchronizes the libraries.

And, again, while you can only have 5 Macs authorized as associated with your iTunes account, the songs themselves are unprotected and can be copied to more devices if you actually have more than 5 Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.