Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:50 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon Announces New Kindles: $139 Wi-Fi, $189 3G

Last night, Amazon announced an all new Wi-Fi only Kindle that starts at only $139 with a 3G-capable one for $189.
Quote:
Amazon.com is excited to introduce a new generation of Kindle. The all-new Kindle has a new electronic-ink screen with 50 percent better contrast than any other e-reader, a new sleek design with a 21 percent smaller body while still keeping the same 6-inch-size reading area, and a 15 percent lighter weight at just 8.7 ounces.
Both models are slated for release on August 27th though Amazon has begun preorders. The new Kindle is also said to offer 20% faster page turns, up to one month of battery life, and double the storage to 3,500 books.

Amazon's dedicated e-reader has been seen as an overlapping market for the Apple iPad. Amazon, however, has been aggressive about expanding the Kindle platform beyond just the hardware device itself. The company has also released a Kindle-compatible app for the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Amazon Announces New Kindles: $139 Wi-Fi, $189 3G
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:54 AM   #2
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Introducing the new amazon kindle, the ereader that's so annoying to get outside America you might as well not bother.

OT, why do people keep on comparing a Kindle to an iPad? The iPad does so much more than a kindle.
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:54 AM   #3
icloud
macrumors 6502

Own kindle & own iPad.

Bar none the kindle is a country mile ahead in terms of being the device that has endeared me to books again. A wonderful device despite the iPad being a world-class device itself.

For really getting into a book, kindle/actual books can't be beat.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:55 AM   #4
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
I like the white case more
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:57 AM   #5
icloud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Introducing the new amazon kindle, the ereader that's so hard to get outside America you might as well not bother.

OT, why do people keep on comparing a Kindle to an iPad? The iPad does so much more than a kindle.
Are you referring to countries that the kindle isn't available in yet? I ordered my kindle to Canada at it was sitting at my doorstep the next day.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:59 AM   #6
EricNau

If Amazon can charge an additional $50 for 3G AND Whispernet, one should wonder why Apple charges $130 for 3G alone.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:01 AM   #7
MorphingDragon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloud View Post
Are you referring to countries that the kindle isn't available in yet? I ordered my kindle to Canada at it was sitting at my doorstep the next day.
Unless you want to spend up to and over $150NZD/AUS on high priority courier Amazon is anywhere from 18 days to a month.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:03 AM   #8
icloud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unless you want to spend up to and over $200NZD/AUS on high priority courier Amazon is anywhere from 18 days to a month.
I hadn't heard of that. That's stings.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:04 AM   #9
clientsiman
macrumors 6502

Super. I think I am gonna buy the wifi one .
clientsiman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:04 AM   #10
MorphingDragon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloud View Post
I hadn't heard of that. That's stings.
The kindle doesn't have to travel overseas to get to Canada.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:05 AM   #11
wjlafrance
macrumors 6502

Okay, I thought long and hard about this, and I can't figure out what this has to do with Apple. Because the iPad competes (and not really, even) with the Kindle, a new revision of that device gets announced here?

Likewise, shouldn't there be a news story every time a new Best Buy or Walmart opens? They sell Macs and iPods.
wjlafrance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:06 AM   #12
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaecasher View Post
I like the white case more
Agreed.

And this just might be enough to get me to upgrade my 1st generation Kindle. The new screen sounds nice and the new battery sounds even nicer! I wonder how much I can get for my old one.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Badradio
macrumors 6502

I can finally buy "natively" from the UK store with free shipping. I might have to finally go electronic - 109 isn't a bad price as I don't need 3G.
Badradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:11 AM   #14
OllyW

Quote:
Introducing the new amazon kindle, the ereader that's so annoying to get outside America you might as well not bother.
It's now had a proper UK launch along with a UK Kindle store.

The free 3G wireless will be supplied by Vodafone.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:12 AM   #15
alectheking
macrumors 6502a

why do we care?
alectheking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:13 AM   #16
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
I'm assuming the 50% gamut increase is in comparison to all other e-readers excluding Kindles, correct? That would be quite a slap in the face to buyers of the old Kindles.
Abyssgh0st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:14 AM   #17
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

I have too much backlight in my life...

Now that the Kindle is in a decent price-range, it seems like a much more attractive purchase. The iPad and Kindle are really not comparable devices. The iPad is a touch computer with eReading capabilities and the Kindle is a dedicated eReader. Because all of the focus has gone into this one quality as opposed to everything else, I believe the Kindle is better for it. There is no doubt that iBooks is an excellent little app and I love the detail thrown into it. However, nothing compares to an electronic ink screen when trying to read a book (except of course, books themselves). The backlight and discernable pixels on the iPad make reading for long stretches a chore. While visiting my dad, I tried to read one of his downloaded books and after about 20 minutes, I was feeling the strain. It's just because I'm exposed to LCD screens ALL the time and sometimes simply need a break from them.

At work, I am in front of an LCD screen. At home, I watch movies, play games and surf the web in front of an LCD screen. When I play a game or open an app on my iPhone, I'm in front of an LCD screen. There's too much backlight in my life. When I read a book, I want it to reflect light, not produce it. When reading is your escape from computers, you don't want to have to use a full-blown computer to do it (opinions of the iPad as full computer aside). I say, long live the Kindle. I think there are enough avid readers out there who would agree that as a dedicated reader, it is the preferred option.
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:18 AM   #18
goobot
macrumors 601

Apple makes kindles?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:19 AM   #19
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post
why do we care?
Because some people here like to read books and are debating whether to buy a Kindle or an iPad for ebook reading?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:24 AM   #20
Banned

I just ordered the 3G version and now will definitely not be buying this year's iPad.
314631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:26 AM   #21
Mr. Penox
macrumors newbie

Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssgh0st View Post
I'm assuming the 50% gamut increase is in comparison to all other e-readers excluding Kindles, correct? That would be quite a slap in the face to buyers of the old Kindles.
Yes, because a company shouldn't try to make the best product possible, right?
Mr. Penox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:29 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBookG4user View Post
Because some people here like to read books and are debating whether to buy a Kindle or an iPad for ebook reading?
Exactly.

I almost bought an iPad this week primarily as a reading device. But Amazon has a far better selection of books, better pricing on those books, and most independent reviewers agree the Kindle is a better eBook reading device. So this new model and lower price couldn't have come at a better time for me.
314631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:29 AM   #23
Shodan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post
why do we care?
Why do we care too see that you have a free bumper with your iPhone 4 in your signature?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:32 AM   #24
Badradio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBookG4user View Post
People like me. This was an astute move on Amazon's part. I was looking at the iPad, but the compromise on eBook functionality was holding me back. Now I can buy a Kindle at a great price and use my MBP for everything the iPad would otherwise do. Not that I'm anti-iPad - I just want the best eBook experience I can get.
Badradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:34 AM   #25
kernkraft
Banned

The iPad can do a bunch of things, but to me it was never a real e-book reader. There's no point reading them with the screen of the iPad.

Besides, the Kindle is quarter of the price of the iPad and it's light. You may buy one and enjoy reading books. That's it, no games, no gimmicks, just books. But when you do that, you can actually see the letters without going blind.
kernkraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion