Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I currently use LR2 and use the export feature to keep a separate copy of some of my albums available at lower resolution for use in iPhoto so that I can use them for desktop wallpapers, use with my iPhones, iPads, etc.

I'm considering upgrading to LR3 and at the same time want to do some housekeeping to make this work better.

I'm looking for a way of automating keeping my LR3 albums synchronized in iPhoto, if such a thing is possible. The export method is fine, but it's manual and a bit tedious. I've also occasionally gotten duplicates of certain photos when I export the same album after making changes (or the duplicate with changes doesn't show up unless I explicitly delete the old version 1st which is very difficult).

I know some of you will probably say I should just use Aperture 3 if I want to use iPhoto but I really like the work flow and features in LR and it would be extremely painstaking to edit my thousands of photos in a new management platform.

Does anyone have any advice?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I currently use LR2 and use the export feature to keep a separate copy of some of my albums available at lower resolution for use in iPhoto so that I can use them for desktop wallpapers, use with my iPhones, iPads, etc.

I'm considering upgrading to LR3 and at the same time want to do some housekeeping to make this work better.

I'm looking for a way of automating keeping my LR3 albums synchronized in iPhoto, if such a thing is possible. The export method is fine, but it's manual and a bit tedious. I've also occasionally gotten duplicates of certain photos when I export the same album after making changes (or the duplicate with changes doesn't show up unless I explicitly delete the old version 1st which is very difficult).

I know some of you will probably say I should just use Aperture 3 if I want to use iPhoto but I really like the work flow and features in LR and it would be extremely painstaking to edit my thousands of photos in a new management platform.

Does anyone have any advice?

Just thought I'd update my own thread. I upgraded to LR3 and love it, however integration with iPhoto is a bust. You can export photos/folders and then import them into iPhoto but it's definitely not as integrated as Aperture appears to be.

Currently iPhoto 11 and Aperture 3 don't support RAW files from my LX5, so I will wait until Apple adds this support and then I will probably give the latest Aperture 3 a try to see how it works.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
I use LR3 and love it. I also use iPhoto for my non-serious photos of friends and family, also the wife uses iPhoto extensively.

I keep them sync'd manually, by creating a custom export to a predefined folder, then import into iPhoto. Once the import is finished I delete the exported photos because now they reside in iPhoto.

Three or four export/import processes happen before I do a manual delete of the duplicates, but disk space is cheap. :D

Your post piqued my interest because it would be nice if they would sync more automatically, but then again usually only 10-20% of my LR3 photos should be in iPhoto....

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I use LR3 and love it. I also use iPhoto for my non-serious photos of friends and family, also the wife uses iPhoto extensively.

I keep them sync'd manually, by creating a custom export to a predefined folder, then import into iPhoto. Once the import is finished I delete the exported photos because now they reside in iPhoto.

Three or four export/import processes happen before I do a manual delete of the duplicates, but disk space is cheap. :D

Your post piqued my interest because it would be nice if they would sync more automatically, but then again usually only 10-20% of my LR3 photos should be in iPhoto....

The big appeal to me with iPhoto is the integration with email for sending photo albums, creating projects, and syncing with my idevices.

I currently find the LR3 integration lacking, as you say, all you can really do is export projects into iphoto and manually update them.

Have you used Aperture 3 much? I'm debating switching to Aperture even though I really like LR3 just because of the iPhoto integration piece.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
I agree with you and use iPhoto for the same reasons and others. I simply look at them as different tools for different jobs. My 7D RAW images go straight to LR3, if I want to share, upload, or sync any to my iDevices, then they go to a bulk export to iPhoto. Everything else stays in LR3 for further processing or storage.

My powershot cameras go straight to iPhoto, they never enter LR3. LR3 is a kick butt interface that can leverage my new 3.2 quad 2010 multiple cores and don't have any plans to go anywhere else for my bulk RAW processing needs!

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.