Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apull

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
chicago
The Mac Pro is the upgradable personal computer. The iMac is an appliance.

If upgradability is a concern, get a Mac Pro.

if i had the money to buy a mac pro, i wouldn't care about upgrading. people like to upgrade because it's CHEAPER than replacing your whole system (or paying an arm and a leg for apple's upgrades).

people who want to upgrade to save cash can often only afford the non-upgradeable iMacs.
selfish elites who don't care about saving a few bucks can afford the upgradeable mac pros. makes a lot of sense.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Apple makes a reasonable deal and people still complain, this is insane. a 256GB SSD is like $600 add parts and labor along with no accidental breakage seems fair to me

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Apple makes a reasonable deal and people still complain, this is insane. a 256GB SSD is like $600 add parts and labor along with no accidental breakage seems fair to me

Haha, labor? It's Chinese wage-slave factory workers, the labor is dirt cheap for them. You're also missing the point, they make user-installation quite tricky when it doesn't really need to be.

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Haha, labor? It's Chinese wage-slave factory workers, the labor is dirt cheap for them. You're also missing the point, they make user-installation quite tricky when it doesn't really need to be.

I'm sure the factory workers gets fair wages and good working conditions. I'm sure Apple would NEVER deal with slave labor.:apple:

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I'm sure the factory workers gets fair wages and good working conditions. I'm sure Apple would NEVER deal with slave labor.:apple:

Slave-labor was hyperbole. Apple is company like any other, profit is the main concern and motivator; just look at the conditions at the factories (such as Foxconn) where Apple products are manufactured.

It's so typical! An eMac is probably easier to upgrade when it comes to adding an SSD (although it might give you a fatal electric shock if you touch it inappropriately).

This approach to purposely limit consumers' choices in terms of upgradeability is just annoying... I wish they listened once...

I don't see why everyone here is making this seem bigger than it really is, that Apple is leaving out the connector solely because they want you to buy theirs. Has anyone here ever thought that just maybe they didn't want to waste time a d money on a bracket and connector that probably wasn't going to be used? If you ordered an SSD then they'll install one, if you didn't why should they bother installing provisions for you? If you really want to install your own SSD then replace the HDD in the regular bay. Remember the iMac didn't even have dual drive slots until now, so it must've been difficult to shoehorn a 2nd bay in there.they shouldn't be expected to put a 2nd bay in there unless it's necessary (in the case if someone ordering a2nd drive)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

User installation of a second drive is exactly the same or easier as with the previous model. There's a lesson to be learned here: Make something better, by adding the option to buy the computer with two drives installed, and people will find something to complain about. If Apple didn't offer the iMac with two drives, nobody would complain. So this is totally irrational.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I just Apple would build-in an easy way to change out the hard drive in an iMac design! I just think they never will because of the tight design the iMacs now have.

Anyone who has been using computers these last five years can confidently say hard drives WILL fail. I guess apple wants to drive third-party houses business or sell another iMac to a user with a bad hard drive in it an iMac.

petermcjanice

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
best of all worlds

I decided I wanted the best of all worlds so installed an intel ssd 160gb for operating system, 2tb 3.5inch for storage, a USB adapter onto my optical drive and an esata port off the optical drive sata connector. I ran the cables for esata port and the usb for the optical drive out through the oval shaped holes in front of the ram slots so i didn't have to make any holes in my imac. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be and iMac retains full functionality and looks. Love it

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
i dont see why they dont have just a regular mid tower computer. like mac pro mini or something. upgradeability but not insanely expensive. maybe an i5 or i7. sell it for like $1000

ashotjp

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
So basically, I can't get an SSD installed since I got the HDD only edition?

Jesus Christ, why ppls always make things so complicated.
Just installed SSD Vertex 3 Max Iops 240Gb and also replaced HDD with WD Caviar Black 2Tb. Since Apple enabled SATA III, why not use full potential of hardware.

bought cable (Slimline 13 pin SATA Female to 22 Pin SATA Female Cable) from Microcables - $8.75 and installed SSD under DVD-Drive.
Cloned everything on SDD. Install HDD Fan Conrtol.

took me aprox 1 1/2 hour for everything.

HDD aprox 140Mb/s read/write
SSD aprox 470Mb/s read/write

Everytihng is flying

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is the sole argument that the windows fanatics have over Mac fans. Unless the Mac Pro Is brought into question.

And that I'm thinking is where I'm going next...I love the iMac, and always go top spec, but I'm now starting to think that a Pro, with it's far more flexible and easy upgrade / addition configuration may be where I go next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.