Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
My phone has crashed and it is vibrating non stop, none of the buttons work and it has a black screen. Can't get into DFU mode, none of the buttons work.

I am thinking of opening the back cover and removing the battery, will that void the warranty? Will Apple be able to tell I removed and reinstalled the battery?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
My phone has crashed and it is vibrating non stop, none of the buttons work and it has a black screen. Can't get into DFU mode, none of the buttons work.

I am thinking of opening the back cover and removing the battery, will that void the warranty? Will Apple be able to tell I removed and reinstalled the battery?

I would just take it in to Apple and let them fix it. Why chance voiding your warranty?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
as long as your phone powers on when you take in to an Apple Store and you don't leave any physical signs that you took the battery out, then No they won't find out. (A Genius employee will not take your phone apart)

But, if you don't have an Apple Store near by and you're going to have to send in your phone to Apple Care, then Yes they will know because they will open it up to determine what's causing the problem.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
The phone was jailbroken prior to this happening so Im afraid if I take it to the Apple store, they will be able to restart it and see that it's jailbroken and therefore void the warranty.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
If it was jailbroken then you basically already voided your warranty anyway so might as well try just taking the battery out.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
AND WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

I removed the back cover and undid the battery connector. I did not have to remove the battery itself, just unplug the connector.
Reconnected everything and the phone fired right up!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
AND WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

I removed the back cover and undid the battery connector. I did not have to remove the battery itself, just unplug the connector.
Reconnected everything and the phone fired right up!

Just removing that back cover just voided your warranty. You would've been better off just waiting for the battery to die

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Since we're talking about batteries. With this design will we be able to replace the battery a lot easier? I haven't really looked at the break downs.

OP congrats on your phone working again. Hope you don't have to have any warranty work done or if you do Apple doesn't be sucky about it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Just removing that back cover just voided your warranty. You would've been better off just waiting for the battery to die

Since we're talking about batteries. With this design will we be able to replace the battery a lot easier? I haven't really looked at the break downs.

OP congrats on your phone working again. Hope you don't have to have any warranty work done or if you do Apple doesn't be sucky about it.

If he didn't damage anything and needed warranty work, he could simply put the old bat in and Apple would never know

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
He didn't switch batts. He just unplugged it to reset it. i was just asking with the new setup would it making switching batteries if needed easier.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and one of the Terms of Agreement that I had to accept was that I will not jailbreak my iPhone because it will void my warranty.

I should have asked the guy if they can find out if I jailbreak my iPhone if I do a restore before I bring it in (not unlocking or changing the modem firmware). I jailbroke my first 3 iPhone and always did a restore and they never said a word, so I found it weird that this is now a Terms of Agreement.

But can they run a diagnostics and find a trace that it was Jailbroken?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010

I highly doubt it. How would they know? Its just two small screws, there arent any markings or tape that gets broken or anything to indicate it was open.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I highly doubt it. How would they know? Its just two small screws, there arent any markings or tape that gets broken or anything to indicate it was open.

U r right. People that say it is voided just by removing the cover do not know what they are talking about.

The warranty wording says "damage that is not covered includes damage that occurs while servicing the unit by anyone other than apple or an authorized service center."

The key is DAMAGE. Damage done while servicing is not covered.

So you can open your phone up all day long, but as long as you don't break something they don't care. If you would have broken the connector in the process, that is what they are referring to.

Besides, there is NO WAY for them to tell that you took the cover off. Don't worry.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
People who say that there is no way for Apple to know if you took off the back cover simply have no idea what they are talking about.

There have been reports all over this forum over the years of people being told that Apple couldn't help them because they could tell the back cover was removed. I believe all they had to do was look for fingerprints.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The moral of the story is to not jailbreak your iPhone. You jailbreak it you mess it up. You have no one to blame but yourself. Why should Apple repair a phone that is malfunctioning because of unauthorized jail breaking? And don't tell me there's nothing wrong with jail breaking. The vast majority of people who JB their phones do so so they can steal apps. Despicable!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
People who say that there is no way for Apple to know if you took off the back cover simply have no idea what they are talking about.

There have been reports all over this forum over the years of people being told that Apple couldn't help them because they could tell the back cover was removed.

You're the one who has no idea what they are talking about.

As above, the iPhone 4 has no identifier (like a seal, tape or sensor) that shows when the back has been removed.

Apple itself does not do anything special when removing the back of an iPhone 4.

The only way Apple will know that the back has been removed is if you tell them or you damage the phone when doing it.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
You're the one who has no idea what they are talking about.

As above, the iPhone 4 has no identifier (like a seal, tape or sensor) that shows when the back has been removed.

Apple itself does not do anything special when removing the back of an iPhone 4.

The only way Apple will know that the back has been removed is if you tell them or you damage the phone when doing it.

You are the one who needs to go back and read what I posted. As I said in my post above, in the past, all Apple had to do was look for fingerprints and they have voided warranties just for that alone.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
the iPhone 4 back cover has the easiest back removal and battery replacement of any iPhone yet.

as long as you didn't strip the bottom screws, it should be fine.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
U r right. People that say it is voided just by removing the cover do not know what they are talking about.

The warranty wording says "damage that is not covered includes damage that occurs while servicing the unit by anyone other than apple or an authorized service center."

The key is DAMAGE. Damage done while servicing is not covered.

So you can open your phone up all day long, but as long as you don't break something they don't care. If you would have broken the connector in the process, that is what they are referring to.

Besides, there is NO WAY for them to tell that you took the cover off. Don't worry.

Sure, don't worry jfyrfytr25 will gladly replace your phone when Apple discovers you've opened it yourself. .

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You are the one who needs to go back and read what I posted. In the past, all Apple had to do was look for fingerprints and they have voided warranties just for that alone.

That certainly wouldn't happen in the UK, and I can't see it happening in the US.

How can they prove it wasn't one of their staff opening the phone up on a previous occasion (they don't always make a note of this)?

How can they prove that they didn't put fingerprints on the device when checking it for fingerprints?

It's not CSI: Genius Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.