Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I just made a quick video review for the Atlona AT-HD620 connected to A directv box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWi5JnLPPc

You can basically connect all kind of devices using this converter.

The image quality is good, but due to the upconversion you will see some video noise.

The upconversion is one of the drawbacks, since you are not able to change the output resolution.

The other problem is that you cannot really calibrate the IMAC display. But this is an IMAC issue.

I ma very happy with the purchase.

You can reply to the thread if you have any questions. I will be testing it with a Blu-ray later on.

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
WindowsTraitor you rock! Love the credits at the end.

I started a thread asking some questions about this device. I plan on getting it along with http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-3x1-1.3b-HDMI-Automatic-Switch-with-6ft-Pro-HDMI-Pigtail-and-3D-Support.html

I will be hooking up my xbox 360 and an HD cable box to it, along with my DSLR at times and figured this would be the best solution so I am not unplugging things all the time.

Have you compared this to the other devices that only output to 720p? If so does this thing blow it out of the water? I don't plan on playing blu-rays so I think for HD tv and 360 gaming it should be fine.

Thank you

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010

I started a thread asking some questions about this device. I plan on getting it along with http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-3x1-1.3b-HDMI-Automatic-Switch-with-6ft-Pro-HDMI-Pigtail-and-3D-Support.html

I will be hooking up my xbox 360 and an HD cable box to it, along with my DSLR at times and figured this would be the best solution so I am not unplugging things all the time.

Have you compared this to the other devices that only output to 720p? If so does this thing blow it out of the water? I don't plan on playing blu-rays so I think for HD tv and 360 gaming it should be fine.

Thank you

Dude, most games on xbox / ps3 run natively at 720p, if you scale the resolution it doesnt make it better.

Atleast not on a 27" screen.

I dont why people think xbox games run at full hd natively, no one does almost.

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Dude, most games on xbox / ps3 run natively at 720p, if you scale the resolution it doesnt make it better.

Atleast not on a 27" screen.

I dont why people think xbox games run at full hd natively, no one does almost.

I never said that. And some games do. But why would I go with the other adapters that max out at 720p when I will be watching HD TV programming on it.

I don't get why people have to assume things because it makes them look like an @ss

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
I never said that. And some games do. But why would I go with the other adapters that max out at 720p when I will be watching HD TV programming on it.

I don't get why people have to assume things because it makes them look like an @ss

Well if you believe you are going to notice a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 27" screen you are wrong.

Hell most people cant notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on 40+" TV's when doing blind tests.

Also when you take the original source and convert it, you are going to add of alot grain/artifacts

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Well if you believe you are going to notice a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 27" screen you are wrong.

Hell most people cant notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on 40+" TV's when doing blind tests.

Also when you take the original source and convert it, you are going to add of alot grain/artifacts

Are you really so certain about that? Because I have seen on other forums where people have tried these out side by side and the Atlona was a better picture hands down.

I'm sorry but maybe you do not have good eyesight or you are just being a debbie downer but I work with different video formats as a professional and there is a difference.

You are not bringing anything to this discussion about this product the OP has mentioned. Yes we know most of 360 games are running 720p. Yes we know that the Blu-Ray videos from a PS3 are not going to be as good as if it were on a HDTV. But now you are assuming again that I won't be able to tell the difference.

And of course there is going to be grain converting to the Apple's display. What's your point man? The OP mentions that from the get go.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Are you really so certain about that? Because I have seen on other forums where people have tried these out side by side and the Atlona was a better picture hands down.

I'm sorry but maybe you do not have good eyesight or you are just being a debbie downer but I work with different video formats as a professional and there is a difference.

You are not bringing anything to this discussion about this product the OP has mentioned. Yes we know most of 360 games are running 720p. Yes we know that the Blu-Ray videos from a PS3 are not going to be as good as if it were on a HDTV. But now you are assuming again that I won't be able to tell the difference.

And of course there is going to be grain converting to the Apple's display. What's your point man? The OP mentions that from the get go.

Well i have worked with TVs and projectors for about 15 years now, and i have currently worked as assistant manager in on the countries biggest HIFI stores. There is also numeros sites that have blind test on big TVs and tell them what they think the resolution is. Conclusion is that they are all wrong, and cant spot the difference, so no there isnt any wrong with my eyes ;)

So i know what im talking about. But if you believe the hype go right ahead :p You wont be able to spot the differnce from same source. You will notice the difference between bad quality 720p and good 720p but not he resolution apart. Atleast not on a game.

The screen is so small and it wont make a difference

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Well i have worked with TVs and projectors for about 15 years now, and i have currently worked as assistant manager in on the countries biggest HIFI stores. There is also numeros sites that have blind test on big TVs and tell them what they think the resolution is. Conclusion is that they are all wrong, and cant spot the difference, so no there isnt any wrong with my eyes ;)

So i know what im talking about. But if you believe the hype go right ahead :p You wont be able to spot the differnce from same source. You will notice the difference between bad quality 720p and good 720p but not he resolution apart. Atleast not on a game.

The screen is so small and it wont make a difference

I think what you are missing is the fact that the reasoning behind getting this adapter over say the Kanex HD is the fact that when I have 1080 coming through my cable box, is where the difference is.

So can you tell me why I would bother limiting myself with a 720p adapter when one that supports up to 1080p input is on the market? I mean since your such an expert best buy employee tell me why I would do that? The hype? If I have 1080p images coming through why would I use an adapter that limits it to 720p?

I'm waiting Debbie...

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you

I do not have any other device to compare it too, but I may pick up a Belkin at the apple store and compare it.

Nevertheless I do not think I will get "a blow it out of the water" effect.

I changed the output resolution of the Directv box to 720P and you see more noise. You can really see the difference at the same viewing distance compared to the 1080i of the directv box(keep in mind that the max broadcast now is 1080i not 1080p). But if you increase the viewing distance you cannot notice the noise anymore.

What you can notice at all distances is the color rendition. The more data the monitor gets, the richer the colors. Because of this, I really prefer to have the higher resolution.

This box is more expensive than the others, but I think it gives you more flexibility.

I use this set up in my bedroom, so for me was cost effective. (a tv would have been at least 300$) I paid 199 - bing.

Mr Freezetag

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I do not have any other device to compare it too, but I may pick up a Belkin at the apple store and compare it.

Nevertheless I do not think I will get "a blow it out of the water" effect.

I changed the output resolution of the Directv box to 720P and you see more noise. You can really see the difference at the same viewing distance compared to the 1080i of the directv box(keep in mind that the max broadcast now is 1080i not 1080p). But if you increase the viewing distance you cannot notice the noise anymore.

What you can notice at all distances is the color rendition. The more data the monitor gets, the richer the colors. Because of this, I really prefer to have the higher resolution.

This box is more expensive than the others, but I think it gives you more flexibility.

I use this set up in my bedroom, so for me was cost effective. (a tv would have been at least 300$) I paid 199 - bing.

Sounds good to me.

So you are going to buy the Belkin just to compare it?

Aven SkyGazer

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
I just made a quick video review for the Atlona AT-HD620 connected to A directv box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWi5JnLPPc

You can basically connect all kind of devices using this converter.

The image quality is good, but due to the upconversion you will see some video noise.

The upconversion is one of the drawbacks, since you are not able to change the output resolution.

The other problem is that you cannot really calibrate the IMAC display. But this is an IMAC issue.

I ma very happy with the purchase.

You can reply to the thread if you have any questions. I will be testing it with a Blu-ray later on.

Hey Traitor, I watched your video review. Very cool setup. Just wondering, did you ever connect a Blu Ray player up to that AT-HD620 ---> iMac? If so, how did it look overall? Do you have a video review for that?

Thanks a ton.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Hey Traitor, I watched your video review. Very cool setup. Just wondering, did you ever connect a Blu Ray player up to that AT-HD620 ---> iMac? If so, how did it look overall? Do you have a video review for that?

Thanks a ton.

My current set up is with a Samsung 3D BR player until my plasma is up and running again.

The quality from the 1080p(BR) source is better.

Aven SkyGazer

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
My current set up is with a Samsung 3D BR player until my plasma is up and running again.

The quality from the 1080p(BR) source is better.

If I understood that right, do you mean that your 1080p Blu Ray player is hooked up through your AT-HD620 into your iMac? If so, is the Blu Ray quality being projected through the iMac clear and without any flaws?

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
If I understood that right, do you mean that your 1080p Blu Ray player is hooked up through your AT-HD620 into your iMac? If so, is the Blu Ray quality being projected through the iMac clear and without any flaws?

Yes, but due to the upscaling you will see some pixelation when you are close to the screen. When i watch movies I sit at about 4 feet and i do not notice it too much. The quality is very good

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
With the EyeTV HD you can get 720p AND 1080i. Plus you can record, edit, and watch in a smaller window while you work because it's through USB and not the DisplayPort input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.