Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
look in device manager

it will either be unde graphics adapter (or whatever it's called) near top

otherwise will be lower on page as some form of unidentified device

if it isn't there anyplace, could very well be dead

twenty8special

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
error flashing

I bought this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121376

I am trying to flash it with the xfx rom as I read in a previous thread that it worked. However, when I try, I get an error 0fl01, ROM NOT ERASED. The command I am using is ATIFlash -f -p 0 macxfx.rom. I verified that 0 is the correct ID, I even tried flashing it in a PC with it being the only video card and it still wouldn't work. Any thoughts on what I can try? I was going to try and use the ATIFlash Windows version but it only recognized the card as having 64k of flash.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joe Mac

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I bought this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121376

I am trying to flash it with the xfx rom as I read in a previous thread that it worked. However, when I try, I get an error 0fl01, ROM NOT ERASED. The command I am using is ATIFlash -f -p 0 macxfx.rom. I verified that 0 is the correct ID, I even tried flashing it in a PC with it being the only video card and it still wouldn't work. Any thoughts on what I can try? I was going to try and use the ATIFlash Windows version but it only recognized the card as having 64k of flash.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Joe Mac

I am curious, where did you see that as proper command sequence?

Which version of Atiflash are you using?

If you search for that text string, I think there have been reports of that issue.

twenty8special

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
I've seen it written as:

ATIFlash -p -f 0 macxfx.rom
ATIFlash -p 0 macxfx.rom -f

After googling the error message, I came across the different syntax on misc forums. Neither work and both give the same error.

ben10

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Howdy folks, some really helpful stuff here.

I have the g.1 revision of the ZWFC card, I have flashed the ROM Cindori posted for the G.1, but only 1 DVI works at a time.

From my reading it sounds like this is fixed in SL, unfortunately I am stuck on 10.5.8 for the time being, due to software compatibility issues.

Is there ANY way to get dual DVI on Leopard 10.5.8 with the ZWFC?

I have dual DVI working fine on Leopard on another machine with an older version of the same card (the ZDFC).
I have installed the driver package from http://groths.org/dualdvi.zip just for fun, and it didnt do the trick (makes sense, those are SL drivers far as i know).
Any help would be much appreciated!
($20 via Paypal in it for anyone who can help me get this working, hehe)

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
I have the g.1 revision of the ZWFC card, I have flashed the ROM Cindori posted for the G.1, but only 1 DVI works at a time.

From my reading it sounds like this is fixed in SL

I wasn't able to get stable operation of G.1 hardware under 10.6.4, even though the card runs fine under Bootcamp. On the other hand, emoseman got this same rev card working with presumably cindori's same ROM image under 10.6.4 and hasn't posted back with any problems. So who knows? I'm holding out to see how the rumored graphics improvements in 10.6.5 play with the XFX 4870 before I waste any more time on this.

-Steve

ben10

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks Steve. Yea I wish xfx didnt keep pumpin out different versions of the card. the ZDFC works like a charm!
I am not looking for SL support however, still in the dark ages with Leopard.

Still hopin to get this figured out tho!

yea, so annoying, updated a machine to SL just for fun, and both monitors work fine on the ZWFC. Is there any way to get a SL driver working on Leopard? Oh Apple, you and your bundled drivers.

twenty8special

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
I may have another problem, even with atiflash 3.60, I can't even flash the original rom to it. I'm not sure where to go next. The info on the box says the card is:

E1161U-C G/B EAH4870/2DI/1GD5/ GA R1.0 M1/PARTITION

So i'm guessing its version 1.0. Not sure if there is a rom for this card or not. Anyone care to take a look at the rom I got from it to see if they can get it to work? Still not sure why I can't get ATIFlash to work...

Attachments

• pc1asus.rom.zip
    46 KB · Views: 100

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
yea, so annoying, updated a machine to SL just for fun, and both monitors work fine on the ZWFC.

Which version of Snow Leopard did you upgrade to? The stock collections of graphics drivers in 10.6.2, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 will all work differently on the XFX ZWFC cards.

-Steve

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I may have another problem, even with atiflash 3.60, I can't even flash the original rom to it. I'm not sure where to go next. The info on the box says the card is:

E1161U-C G/B EAH4870/2DI/1GD5/ GA R1.0 M1/PARTITION

So i'm guessing its version 1.0. Not sure if there is a rom for this card or not. Anyone care to take a look at the rom I got from it to see if they can get it to work? Still not sure why I can't get ATIFlash to work...

Is this the Red board from Newegg?

Or is it blue?

There are 2 different versions I know of. One has a small black heatsink that is a solid line, the other has this same heatsink that has cutouts in it to reach some components.

If you are getting the "EEPROM not Erased" message there isn't much good news.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Yes, its the red one from Newegg and yes, I am getting the ROM not erased error. So does that mean that the eeprom is locked or something? Anything else I can try?

I tried 4 different cards like that.

1 flashed just fine is OSX with Zeus. The other 3 all did the "Not Erased" thing.

They did it in PC or Mac. I gave up and just switched out the EEPROMs for fresh ones. There might very well be a way to flash them using some obscure command in ATIFlash. For things like this you should consider digging through the PC Forums for 3D Guru and such. It is quite likely that someone else has had this trouble.

Also, are you 100% certain that someone used Rihldinger's XFX ROM on that card? His was for the XFX ZDDC which is a VERY different card. And as I said, there are 2 different versions of that Asus, and they require different ROMs. Using incorrect ROM doesn't work well.

And a final thing, the Asus cards both work great up to 10.6.2. After that you either need a DVI-VGA adapter on 2nd port, or the "Dual DVI" fix.

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
xfx 4870 Rom

Howdy folks, some really helpful stuff here.

From my reading it sounds like this is fixed in SL, unfortunately I am stuck on 10.5.8 for the time being, due to software compatibility issues.

Is there ANY way to get dual DVI on Leopard 10.5.8 with the ZWFC?

I have dual DVI working fine on Leopard on another machine with an older version of the same card (the ZDFC).
I have installed the driver package from http://groths.org/dualdvi.zip just for fun, and it didnt do the trick (makes sense, those are SL drivers far as i know).
Any help would be much appreciated!
($20 via Paypal in it for anyone who can help me get this working, hehe)

Ben,

What was the procedure you used to flash that card? I have the same one and get kernal panics when i try to boot with it powered up in my 1.1 MP. Did you have to use windows or what? I also cannot seem to find that rom you refer to since i have the G.1 version as well. Is it still on the forms somewhere?

Andy

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
XFX ZWFC Rev G1 + EFI ROM Image

I also cannot seem to find that rom you refer to since i have the G.1 version as well. Is it still on the forms somewhere?

That's wierd, it seems to have disappeared. @Cindori - did you take down your original post? Attached is the ROM image he modified for the XFX HD478A 1GB ZWFC Rev G.1.

Attachments

• XFX_HD487A_ZWFCvG1_EFI.rom.zip
    94.4 KB · Views: 129

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Flashing

That's wierd, it seems to have disappeared. @Cindori - did you take down your original post? Attached is the ROM image he modified for the XFX HD478A 1GB ZWFC Rev G.1.

So i can use this rom directly with ATIFlash on any modern windows pc to flash my card? i had issues putting windows on mine with bootcamp so i'm not going to bother with that anymore.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
So i can use this rom directly with ATIFlash on any modern windows pc to flash my card? i had issues putting windows on mine with bootcamp so i'm not going to bother with that anymore.

I used ATIFlash under HIRENS boot CD with this result.

But note that I currently do not have stable operation of the card in my 10.6.4 system; I had to remove it.

-Steve

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If i were to use this card with 10.5 +whatever the latest update to it is, would the card fully function?

If you are referring to the ZWFC 4870, absolutely not.

While the early XFX 4870s were undoubtedly the BEST 4870s for flashing, it is my personal opinion that the ZWF* cards are some of the WORST 4870s to flash. They are some of the slowest 4870s around, have loud fans that run full bore all day until they seize up in a spiral of heat, and they run exceedingly poor in Leopard, exactly where their forbears were so brilliant.

They are nearly as troublesome as a 4890, without the mild speed kick a 4890 provides. I would avoid a ZWF* at all costs.

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
So i accidently booted up in 10.4.7 and did not get a kernal panic. Should i bother trying to flash my card or look into sending it back and getting a new one?

Sadly, Zeus does not seem to open in 10.4.7.

bbx

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Hi all,
.......I'm having a Sapphaire 4870 512mb .....

4799818215_2ea4b2d02e_b.jpg

I bought the same card. Made a ROM according to the instructions.
Hopefully it helps some of the other posters I've seen out there.

Mine works perfectly ^_^

Cheerio !
- BBX

Attachments

• 4870 EFI ROM.zip
    93.9 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.