Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I dont think my phone is charging with the wall charger. The battery indicator does not change to the lightning icon. It works when I plug it into a computer though.

The wall charger is not defective though. I am able to use it to charge my iPod (with the iPod cable). I tried using the iPod cable with the iPhone and wall charger and still the battery indicator does not change into the lightning icon.

Where can the problem be? The cable and iPhone works since I can charge the phone using a PC. The wall charger works because I am able to charge my iPod with it.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Odd. Well if it does not work, take the charger in or if you have access to another iPhone, try it.

I could only think that its not putting out enough juice. Maybe the iPhone demands more for charging than iPods. Yet like may PowerBook adapters, the iPod adapter can maybe charge up to a higher voltage. No clue, just kinda making that all up... sorta.... kinda grasping. I am sure like me, you hate bringing crap back in :(

sabr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
new york city
try doing a soft reset before you plug in the iphone, as instructed on the apple website.

hold the home button and the top on/off button together for 6 seconds. this will bring up the apple icon, do a soft reset.

this may clear up some of the charging issues. it worked for me.

xblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I did a soft reset as well as a retore also and that didnt help.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
does anyone have any speculation as to whether or not my iphone would be replaced if this issue isn't resolved?

rrpp

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I was recharging my iPhone for 8 hours and the battery was still showing it was empty. But somehow it didn't seem to die because of that. So after a soft reboot the battery was fully charged again. I have gotten used to the problem so when it happens I just ignore it. The battery seems to be fully charged anyways.

I have had so much battery problems with Apple products I am willing to say they suck at this. My iPod recharges successfully only two thirds of the times I plug it in to the wall. Sometimes I plug it in and it doesn't even start to recharge. I travel a lot and use my iPod as a photo storage device. I always bring two iPods to be on the safe side, because if one fails I have the other one as a backup. You have to be vigilant about making sure it works. Apple products not always very reliable.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I am having the same problem. At first, I thought that it wasn't charging, but like you said, it is charging but the iphone doesn't know that it is charging. I think it is the dock or cable and not the phone because my phone recognizes that it is being charged when on a friends dock. Oh and I haven't tried the friends phone on my dock yet. Hopefully I can do that tonight.

ronniej

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
iphone not charging

Try powering your iphone down. Plug your wall charger in while it's shut down and restart your iphone while it's plugged into the charger. It worked for me, hope it does for you too.

whiteshooze

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Charger Issue

While I realize this is an older thread, I thought I would add our findings.
We have recently purchased 22 iPhones where I work.
Every single person has experienced the charging issue.
We discovered that the cable is fine, and the phone charges fine when plugged into a computer, a car charger, or a cradle. The supplied charger is definitely the culprit.
We also discovered that when the charger does not begin to charge after plugging in, you can flip the charger over in the wall socket or move to a different wall socket, and that will typically get it working again until the next time. It is as if the charger has some kind of memory of the wall socket that does not reset until moving it to another.
We don't know the cause yet, but at least we have a work-around for now.
Hope this helps a little.

ejeezy87

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
im having similar problems. i can charge it into one socket but not others.. & when i charge it into the others, they wont work but when i plug it into the main socket that didnt work before, it starts charging.. weird huh?

loolool

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Fix

1. switch the mute switch 4 times (up, down, up down)
2. now press home and power for 6-10 seconds
3. wait 30 seconds and turn back on

This should fix it.

bmvcanton

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
I have the original iphone and couldn't get it to charge on anything. I tried the previous posters directions and it worked!!!! I actually just registered to let ev1 know this and say thanks!!

padesatka

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Try powering your iphone down. Plug your wall charger in while it's shut down and restart your iphone while it's plugged into the charger. It worked for me, hope it does for you too.

Thanks- that fixed it for me.

My 3g was not registering a charge over the past few days. It seemed stuck showing 10% or less on the splash and status-bar indicators. Nevertheless I was able to use the phone for hours, which didn't compute.

So I googled up a few threads like this, and your post made the most sense out of a few dozen other ones that I read here and elsewhere. I just powered off and back on with the usb cable connected iPhone to G5, and after boot... Voila it showed a full charge. Woot!

Apparently, iPhones can become confused about their energy state. Sometimes I have the same trouble myself, thinking I'm all run-down when all I really need is a new attitude.

Cheers, and thanks for the useful tip, ronniej!

niftychick1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
After trying all the suggestions on this thread, none worked. The iPhone is still not recognising that is is plugged in to charge via the wall charger. I have reverted to charging via the MacBook and the little blighter is very happy and charging .... but it takes much longer (annoying when time is something you do not have). Sigh.

padesatka

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
I had a second episode of this, and fixed it again by going through the rituals I know from my spotty memory. I do remember where to look up what I have in Settings/General for those interested: I have a 3g running iPhone 3.1.3 build 7E18, 05.12.01 firmware and I use a pwnage jailbreak.

Respringing and rebooting without the charge cord didn't seem to help at all to jog the battery indicator/charge-controller's memory. On charge, no progress was apparent on the indicator, which seemed stuck at 10% or less for hours. I'm not sure if it was refusing or not indicating the incoming power, but I wasn't hapy to see this symptom return after dutifully upgrading the OS. So I unplugged the phone, turned up the brightness, enabled everything, and just left it to "die" which was somewhat gratifying after having my iPhone's meter betray me again.

After my iPhone had entered a full coma, I plugged it in and allowed it to fully charge (which took about 4 hours).

Everything is fine now. It seems to me that booting while connected to the charger can sometimes help with a stuck indication. But the best remedy seems to be a full charge from a complete low-power self-shutdown to full charge. That seems to re-calibrate the charge indicator. So if you're struggling with this just let it die when it's convenient (or not). Increase the power load with all the radios and processes you can enable if you like. Then leave your iPhone to fully charge undisturbed, until it can be awakened fully alert- or leave it charging until it has been made obsolete by the next little Sino-Cupertino marvel.

I expect the 4G won't even have a charging port: Once the power is nearly used up, the next iPhones will automatically withdraw funds from your account and have the next shiny 4Gs, 5G, etc. fully charged up for you and put on the boat from China.

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
try doing a soft reset before you plug in the iphone, as instructed on the apple website.

hold the home button and the top on/off button together for 6 seconds. this will bring up the apple icon, do a soft reset.

this may clear up some of the charging issues. it worked for me.

Thank You! My 3G didn't do anything when I plugged it into my car charger this morning - plugged my iPad and it charged so I freaked. I cleaned the lint out of the phone, still nothing. Rebooting it did the trick though.

The LAST thing I needed was to buy a replacement iPhone after just buying and iPad and the new iPhones around the corner...

maykw777

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
iPhone cable not charging

I tried charging it using a different wall socket and it worked. When i switched back to the original wall socket, it worked again. Wierd.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I gotta try all this wierd stuff.. Maybe something will work for me. Will report back.

I have the original iphone and couldn't get it to charge on anything. I tried the previous posters directions and it worked!!!! I actually just registered to let ev1 know this and say thanks!!

I had a second episode of this, and fixed it again by going through the rituals I know from my spotty memory. I do remember where to look up what I have in Settings/General for those interested: I have a 3g running iPhone 3.1.3 build 7E18, 05.12.01 firmware and I use a pwnage jailbreak.

Respringing and rebooting without the charge cord didn't seem to help at all to jog the battery indicator/charge-controller's memory. On charge, no progress was apparent on the indicator, which seemed stuck at 10% or less for hours. I'm not sure if it was refusing or not indicating the incoming power, but I wasn't hapy to see this symptom return after dutifully upgrading the OS. So I unplugged the phone, turned up the brightness, enabled everything, and just left it to "die" which was somewhat gratifying after having my iPhone's meter betray me again.

After my iPhone had entered a full coma, I plugged it in and allowed it to fully charge (which took about 4 hours).

Everything is fine now. It seems to me that booting while connected to the charger can sometimes help with a stuck indication. But the best remedy seems to be a full charge from a complete low-power self-shutdown to full charge. That seems to re-calibrate the charge indicator. So if you're struggling with this just let it die when it's convenient (or not). Increase the power load with all the radios and processes you can enable if you like. Then leave your iPhone to fully charge undisturbed, until it can be awakened fully alert- or leave it charging until it has been made obsolete by the next little Sino-Cupertino marvel.

I expect the 4G won't even have a charging port: Once the power is nearly used up, the next iPhones will automatically withdraw funds from your account and have the next shiny 4Gs, 5G, etc. fully charged up for you and put on the boat from China.

I tried charging it using a different wall socket and it worked. When i switched back to the original wall socket, it worked again. Wierd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.