Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grnamin

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Black on white:
961932201_JGKdC-L.jpg

Has anyone noticed degraded microphone performance, especially when using the speakerphone? I've had to speak closer to the phone since I installed the Vapor. The other party couldn't hear me well enough. Before I installed the Vapor, people could hear me fine. Could the extra material on the ends where the microphones are cause a "funneling" effect with sound?

Has anyone else experienced this?

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Element Vapor and GPS issues

My Element Vapor arrived today and on my way home from work I noticed the GPS was not keeping me on the road. When I got home I pulled the case off and tested the GPS.

The GPS sans case sitting on a kitchen counter inside my home. I used Apple's Map app and found my location. The signal remained locked with a small "circle of error" indicator.

I gently slid on the Element case on both sides and did NOT add screws. After several minutes the "circle of error" grew much larger and remained there.

I removed the case again and the pattern kept repeating with same results.

See attached-
First Image= no case
Second Image = case on

Attachments

• photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    989.8 KB · Views: 142
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    987.1 KB · Views: 149

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Other people have been having the same problem in the Element Case threads... Just goes to show you what extensive testing Element Case put the Vapor through before manufacturing it and shipping ;) Ohh, and according to them... fear not a new version will be coming soon with a fix (a.k.a more holes in the case probably).

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
grnamin said:
Black on white:
961932201_JGKdC-L.jpg

Has anyone noticed degraded microphone performance, especially when using the speakerphone? I've had to speak closer to the phone since I installed the Vapor. The other party couldn't hear me well enough. Before I installed the Vapor, people could hear me fine. Could the extra material on the ends where the microphones are cause a "funneling" effect with sound?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Wow people are spending 80 or more to make their phone even less usable.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Add more holes?? The idea of enclosing the antenna in a metal shield can't make sense to anyone. Version 3 or 4 will have to be a new material that doesn't block the signals. :mad:

There is no way that any testing was done on this case. Ship it out and let the users test it for them.... :(

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
BTW- mine is version 1 as it does not have the sim cutout

Attachments

• photo 2[1].JPG
    photo 2[1].JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 378

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
The reviews haven't been as stellar as I would have liked. Plus I haven't heard a word from Element since I paid them back on July 03rd. I can't give an A+ for customer service at this point even if the case turned out to be fantastic. 2 emails and one phone call from me and nothing in the way of a response from Element. I understand that they are very busy but I'm having a hard time making excuses for their lack of customer service at this point. I'm beginning to think I should do a charge back with Paypal for my two cases and wait until they get the bugs worked out. I believe that those who order one at Christmas time will end up with a far better product than I will for the same price. I'd prolly have more patience if they would make an attempt to reply to my emails.
I'm giving it until tomorrow and if i don't hear something I'm gonna pull the plug.

+1

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Sorry to hear about your issue with gps, I must be lucky I am not experiencing any problems knock on wood. BTW I also have V1. I did a quick test with my wifes 3GS (she's still holding out for white) and my phone was able to pinpoint our location a lot faster.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I received an immediate refund and was offered an exchange for new design.

Does the new design solve the signal loss?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
The only differences I can see with V2 is that it has a sim card slot and a weirdly shaped headphone port... maybe they added that stuff to fix the signal?

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Well i am in order slug 44xx for a pink one and still no word about shipping.
I'm ok with that though since I am just about ready to cancel the order. From the sounds of it there is a form over function thing going on here.

Also I have seriously bonded with my piel frama imagnum case and frankly the form/value/function comparisons between the two cases is remarkable. This is a handmade spanish leather case made with exceptionally refined soft padded leather. All ports are accessible, including using third party accessories and the entire phone is protected. Signal quality is enhanced in the case and best of all the phone can be removed or put back in the case with ease.

I paid $79 for it plus $8 shipping.

So why would I go from that to this curiously crippled contraption?

I'm done with element.

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
I'm ok with that though since I am just about ready to cancel the order. From the sounds of it there is a form over function thing going on here.

Also I have seriously bonded with my piel frama imagnum case and frankly the form/value/function comparisons between the two cases is remarkable. This is a handmade spanish leather case made with exceptionally refined soft padded leather. All ports are accessible, including using third party accessories and the entire phone is protected. Signal quality is enhanced in the case and best of all the phone can be removed or put back in the case with ease.

I'm done with element.

Yes but that case is leather! What is this 1988? Why don't you grab your bomber jacket and go for a motorcycle ride with your girl huh Maverick? Are you going to throw your shirt off and play a little beach volleyball , you and goose vs the Iceman?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Yes but that case is leather! What is this 1988? Why don't you grab your bomber jacket and go for a motorcycle ride with your girl huh Maverick? Are you going to throw your shirt off and play a little beach volleyball , you and goose vs the Iceman?

Are you on drugs? Maybe all car manufacturers should use carbon fiber seats and toss out the leather since its not 1988. For someone that didn't buy this case, you sure are spending the majority of your life being a groupie about it.

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
Are you on drugs? Maybe all car manufacturers should use carbon fiber seats and toss out the leather since its not 1988. For someone that didn't buy this case, you sure are spending the majority of your life being a groupie about it.

If you re read the other post you will see I did pre-order it.

Have fun with your leather case listening to your new flock of seagulls album. Does te leather match well with your white suit huh Crockett?

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008

Good grief you are such a piece of work. You've ripped on element for weeks and now you think otherwise. Good for you.

My shoes are leather, I have ten leather jackets, my car seats are leather, and yeah my phone is in a leather case that btw does not negatively impact my reception. Kinda basic.

Anyway I'm a woman so no bomber jackets for me and no macho fantasies either. Sheesh.

Enjoy your aluminum shoes.

labrat1996

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Lenexa, Kansas

I'm done with element.

I'm Gonna have to check out that Piel Frama case. I LOVE leather and since we seem to have the same taste is cases ...... BTW - Geesh Johnny B Good needs to get a life! I just got a leather SOFA and it smells SO NICE and feels great too! I also am old enough to have seen Flock of Seagulls in concert. Guess I must be living in the 80's. I refuse to wear shoulder pads again, however!

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
Add more holes?? The idea of enclosing the antenna in a metal shield can't make sense to anyone. Version 3 or 4 will have to be a new material that doesn't block the signals. :mad:

There is no way that any testing was done on this case. Ship it out and let the users test it for them.... :(

I can only guess that they never even considered signal loss when they came up with the idea of a metal case. I do like the looks of the case from pictures I have seen, but I can't understand anyone ordering the case knowing that they may have gps issues or additional signal loss.

Maybe a carbon fiber vapor case would be a better idea? Probably too expensive, and not something a few guys in a garage can make.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Yes but that case is leather! What is this 1988? Why don't you grab your bomber jacket and go for a motorcycle ride with your girl huh Maverick? Are you going to throw your shirt off and play a little beach volleyball , you and goose vs the Iceman?...Have fun with your leather case listening to your new flock of seagulls album. Does te leather match well with your white suit huh Crockett?

Good grief you are such a piece of work. You've ripped on element for weeks and now you think otherwise. Good for you.

My shoes are leather, I have ten leather jackets, my car seats are leather, and yeah my phone is in a leather case that btw does not negatively impact my reception. Kinda basic.

Anyway I'm a woman so no bomber jackets for me and no macho fantasies either. Sheesh.

Enjoy your aluminum shoes.
She shoots, she scores!

Rack her!
2.gif

Pwned, johnnyboy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.