Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proYuzza

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Headphone Solution

What happens if my touch is out of warranty with this problem? I have to jiggle the headphone cord for it to come out both speakers (I've tried with several different cords, so its definitely the jack) and it does it again if the cord moves at all! The Apple store in Orlando told me that it'd probably cost about as much as a new one to fix it on the phone. It's like 2 months out of warranty! Can anybody tell me something good here? Pleas help.

If your ipod touch is 2nd gen or older and running iOS 3.x and older. All you have to do is buy an A2DP Bluetooth streaming piece. I got the Jabra BT 3030 from ebay for $25(canadian). You plug your headphones into it, turn it on. Then turn on bluetooth in Settings/General/Bluetooth on your touch, pair the two and your ready to hear music how it was meant to be. In Stereo not left or Right. Hopes this helps.

chocdom

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
ipod touch headphone jack

my headphone jack went bad on one of my iPod touch units (i've had 6, the first 5 were defective). in my case, audio stopped coming out of one channel.

unfortunately, you'll likely have to get it replaced (with a refurb). (if it stops working again)

ive got an ipod touch 2nd gen 8gb and its headphone jack is faulty. when i plug something in it only comes out 1 side. i also dont have a warranty beacuse i bought it off ebay...what do i do? also i dont want that bluetooth thingy cos i want to play out through speakers...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
ive got an ipod touch 2nd gen 8gb and its headphone jack is faulty. when i plug something in it only comes out 1 side. i also dont have a warranty beacuse i bought it off ebay...what do i do? also i dont want that bluetooth thingy cos i want to play out through speakers...:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Did you buy it with warranty left? It doesnt matter if you bought if off ebay or not. If you still have warranty on it you can take it into Apple, they should fix it even if its out of warranty.

arnie95

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
ipod - speaker and jack plug has stopped working

i was just listening to my i pod and then all of a sudden i changed the song and it starts fuzzing through the speaker and headphones , i tried everything like restoring the i pod and different headphones but no luck, can anyone help because i am very frustrated ..... thanks:)

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
i was just listening to my i pod and then all of a sudden i changed the song and it starts fuzzing through the speaker and headphones , i tried everything like restoring the i pod and different headphones but no luck, can anyone help because i am very frustrated ..... thanks:)
You should probably try a restore in DFU mode. If that doesnt work you should try and take it to apple store because it might be a faulty jack.

Angelessey

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Help!

I just need to confirm a few things here.
A couple of years back I owned a second-gen iPod nano. The headphones actually worked fine; no problems, but they got a bit stringy (white covering had come off) and by then the fifth-gen was out, so last year I bought a new fifth-gen.
Since then I have gone through six pairs of headphones, all of them apple, all of whom have died while using my fifth-gen. :(
and the headphones have all worked on my original second-gen. :confused:
My parents are furious; they think it's my fault that my headphones are breaking, but after reading some of the posts here, I think it may be my iPod. Currently I'm in the process of updating my iTunes, etc., just to see if that's the problem. However, do you guys recommend that I take my iPod to an apple store, just to check if something's wrong?

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
I have a 2g iPod touch, and I've tried the q tip trick described in this thread, but no luck. :( Is there any third party company that has a good reputation for repairing ipods or iPod touch headphone jacks? My jack is physically loose, so its not just dirty, unfortunately. Even a DIY kit for replacing the jack would be fine, although I'd rather send it to a reputable third party company to have it fixed as long as its not to expensive. Anyone?

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
i have always had a first gen ipod touch. so i have a "normal" headphone jack. Because of this, i have always thought the later models' jack was extremely weird. can't apple have an actual speaker? instead of being cheap and adding it into the headphone jack. (btw, the speaker is extremely quiet, and i hate it)

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I just need to confirm a few things here.
A couple of years back I owned a second-gen iPod nano. The headphones actually worked fine; no problems, but they got a bit stringy (white covering had come off) and by then the fifth-gen was out, so last year I bought a new fifth-gen.
Since then I have gone through six pairs of headphones, all of them apple, all of whom have died while using my fifth-gen. :(
and the headphones have all worked on my original second-gen. :confused:
My parents are furious; they think it's my fault that my headphones are breaking, but after reading some of the posts here, I think it may be my iPod. Currently I'm in the process of updating my iTunes, etc., just to see if that's the problem. However, do you guys recommend that I take my iPod to an apple store, just to check if something's wrong?
The Apple headphones are particularly high quality. I suggest getting a different type of fairly inexpensive headphones and see if they 'break' because it could be the headphones. What happens when they 'break'?
I have a 2g iPod touch, and I've tried the q tip trick described in this thread, but no luck. :( Is there any third party company that has a good reputation for repairing ipods or iPod touch headphone jacks? My jack is physically loose, so its not just dirty, unfortunately. Even a DIY kit for replacing the jack would be fine, although I'd rather send it to a reputable third party company to have it fixed as long as its not to expensive. Anyone?
If its a broken headphone jack then Apple should replace it. Even if it is out of warranty. I would suggest going to your nearest Apple store or calling them and see what they say. Im not sure if this will work but you could probably ask the seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-iPod-Touch-.../190429865804?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
I doubt Apple will replace it, seeing as the iPod wasn't mine in the first place and it's at least 2 years old. So I think they would just classify it as normal wear and tear and tell Me to buy a new one. :/ thanks though. Hmm thanks for the eBay link, anyone ever change the iPod touch headphone jack theirselves? If so how did it turn out?

Edit: I live in the Yukon so there's no such thing as an apple store up here xD.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
There is a chance something sticky was on one of your headphone jacks and the port is dirty, and the connectors inside the port can't make a firm connection. IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY, get a Q tip, rip most of the cotton off the end then twist the remaining cotton fibers around the end (not a point) to the size where it will fit in the port. With the Touch turned OFF, get a bottle of 93-98% rubbing alchohol (less water, will evaporate more quickly and completely with less chance of corrosion), wet the stripped end and then slowly, gently twirl it into the jack going the same direction as the fibers are wrapped so that you dont sheer off fibers inside the jack. Twirl it into the port as far as it will go with a little pressure. Remove it and examine it for signs (color change) of dirt or junk. You may need to repeat this step several times. Wait about 10 minutes for the alchohol to dry completely (you can blow at (not in) the port or use a hair dryer with the heat turned off). Check the headphone jacks for dirt or sticky substance while you wait for the alchohol to dry. Once there is no longer the strong aroma of alcohol at the port, you can try turning the Touch back on, and plugging in one of your clean jacks.

I'm going to give this a shot. On my 2g ipod touch 32gb, the headphone jack had been giving me trouble. It stopped bothering me as much for a while but now is starting to bother me more than before - it's really hard to keep playing w/ the headphones & headphone jack all the time to get it working properly - just to lose it again once it moves slightly

lrysvbaby

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
thanks for the q-tip idea. i didn't try it yet, but if i push my head phones in reallly hard it works but i have to hold it. should i still try with the q-tips?

jennydercal

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
thanks

you know what, I remember this same thing happening on my 4th gen ipod turned out the port just got dirty. I just cleaned it out with a Q tip and it worked fine ever since. Guess I'll give it a try.

thx so much
i had the dirty headphones as well and i didn't even know it.. you saved me 300+$ i was gonna get a new one. i have to pay for the stuff i want with my bday money thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my mom will not let me get a job yet school is to important

mm99

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Yes it works!!!!

There is a chance something sticky was on one of your headphone jacks and the port is dirty, and the connectors inside the port can't make a firm connection. IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY, get a Q tip, rip most of the cotton off the end then twist the remaining cotton fibers around the end (not a point) to the size where it will fit in the port. With the Touch turned OFF, get a bottle of 93-98% rubbing alchohol (less water, will evaporate more quickly and completely with less chance of corrosion), wet the stripped end and then slowly, gently twirl it into the jack going the same direction as the fibers are wrapped so that you dont sheer off fibers inside the jack. Twirl it into the port as far as it will go with a little pressure. Remove it and examine it for signs (color change) of dirt or junk. You may need to repeat this step several times. Wait about 10 minutes for the alchohol to dry completely (you can blow at (not in) the port or use a hair dryer with the heat turned off). Check the headphone jacks for dirt or sticky substance while you wait for the alchohol to dry. Once there is no longer the strong aroma of alcohol at the port, you can try turning the Touch back on, and plugging in one of your clean jacks.
I tried this and it really works. No more problem with my earphone jack. Touch works great. Thanks!!!!

playbass06

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
The q-tip solution worked here as well! I only had 70% rubbing alcohol on hand, so I figured I'd just let it dry longer. I waited about 30 minutes; but it wasn't quite long enough, evidently...
It fixed the headphone problem, but then the iPod (2nd gen) stopped recognizing the absence of headphones. It took several hours, but it eventually dried out and corrected itself. No harm done, and now I've saved $300+

Thanks!

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
I had mine replaced last year by the Apple store I got it from. same issues. but it was still under warranty since I've only had it for 3 months then. so no charge. they made me wait for 2 weeks to get the replacement. I've bought more than a dozen apple products, & this is the only time i've ever had problems & i'm glad that they replaced it right away with no questions asked.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I'm having this loose headphone jack issue on my ipod touch 2g. I purchased it two years ago. Any hope that Apple would fix this or is it too far out of warranty?

About two years ago I had Apple replace a power supply for my powerbook g4 that was faulty at no charge. It was about 3 years old at that time...

tgknight

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
thanks for nothing

I did what u said , now the audio wont work at all now.... :mad:

----------

thanks for nothing

tomschwem

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
pick

you may have a problem with lint and if so the q-tip would only push it deeper into the jack, you can try to (CAREFULLY!) use a kind of pick-like tool to remove it. I would recomend bending the last millimeter or less of a small needle or pin and, in very good lighting, try to pick the bottom of the jack clean, but be CAREFULL! it worked wonders on mine. if you want to reduce the risk of scratching the contacts, you can try to use a softer metal (like copper) or even plastic.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
The disassembly process of the 2G/3G models requires prying around the edges of the glass, so a DIY might result in you breaking the glass.

MonoChome

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
OP, it could be your headphones. Try another pair.
If not, clean out the jack with a Q-tip like a previous poster stated.

pavilm

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
It might be hardware issue

I tried the qtip idea. It made the sound slightly louder, but not enough to really matter. I brought it to a shop, where they replaced the whole Jack......still same problem. I seem to remember this problem happening right after an update. I have a 1G 16gb that has this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.