Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

111450-virnetx_logo.jpg

Patent holding firm VirnetX yesterday announced that it has filed suit against Apple, Cisco, NEC, and Aastra, alleging infringement of five patents held by the company. As noted by Computerworld, Apple is being targeted for claimed infringement by the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch of a pair of patents related to virtual private networking (VPN) connectivity.

VirnetX, which derives almost all of its revenue from licensing fees and legal judgments related to its patent portfolio, previously sued Microsoft over similar violations, with the two companies reaching a settlement in May that saw Microsoft pay VirnetX $200 million and license the intellectual property in question. One of the two patents Apple is alleged to have infringed upon is that same as one cited in the Microsoft case.
Wednesday's suit claimed that Apple's iPhone -- all models, including the newest iPhone 4 -- iPod Touch and iPad infringed a pair of VirnetX patents.

One of the two that Apple allegedly infringed -- identified as Patent No. 6,502,135 -- was also one of the pair that VirnetX said Microsoft violated.

The patent cited in both lawsuits, titled "Agile network protocol for secure communications with assured system availability," describes technologies for creating and managing a virtual private networking (VPN) connection.
The suit was filed in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, a popular location for patent cases known for its plaintiff-friendly judgments. The judge in the case, Leonard Davis, also presided over the Microsoft case and is particularly known for his willingness to rule in favor of plaintiffs in patent disputes.

Article Link: Apple Targeted in New Patent Suit Over VPN on iOS

cybaster

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
VirnetX, which derives almost all of its revenue from licensing fees and legal judgments related to its patent portfolio, previously sued Microsoft over similar violations, with the two companies reaching a settlement in May that saw Microsoft pay VirnetX $200 million and license the intellectual property in question.

Someone opened the cage doors for patent trolls lately.....

iguanarama

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
Someone opened the cage doors for patent trolls lately.....

They've been flowing for years, but there's been a cluster of 'em recently which have been more widely reported. I feel fortunate that I'll never work for, or come close to working for, these types of patent-chasing companies -- what a way to make a living.

(And I posted a joke about the amount of legal news today, and it got *moderated*? Geez guys, lighten up!)

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Funny friday obviously, anyone else want to sue Apple while we're at it?
Maybe you invented the computer? Or a means to store data electronically?

Contact your local lawyer...

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
Thier lawyers must have been on vacation during the same quarter last year:

• Profitable second quarter 2010 with $200,023,392 in revenues vs. $7,207 in second quarter 2009
  • Income from operations of $115,101,373 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($3,928,346) in second quarter 2009.
  • Net income of $81,112,974 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($3,927,102) in second quarter 2009.
  • Earnings per share of $1.83 in second quarter 2010 vs. ($0.11) in second quarter 2009.
  • Special dividend of $0.50 per common share declared in second quarter 2010.
  • Cash flow from operating activities of $76,656,936 for first six months of 2010 vs. (7,330,109) for first six months of 2009.
  • Cash and cash equivalents of $127,179,912 as of June 30, 2010 vs. $414,735 as of December 31, 2009.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Patent trolls should be killed, murdered and killed!

The patent should be void if you haven't incorporated it into whatever it is you do.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Patent reform?

I get it when Nokia sues Apple, or visa versa. Those are active companies actively producing things. I hate it when patent holding companies sue people. So, you patent something, have no intention of doing anything with it, then wait for someone not only to use it, but make money on it. Then you sue. You don't sue when it first happens, you wait until the pot is sweet enough. These people are vultures in the worst way, and it shouldn't be allowed to go on like this.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Can someone who understands VPN a little better explain how Apple could possibly have infringed on it on the iPhone etc?

afaik VPN is a protocol and software based, and its something that Apple does not support out of the box. Third party software is required.

There isn't some sort of hardware implementation required to create a VPN is there?

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Im getting a bit bored of this. The pont of patents is to stop people stealing your ideas and your product's uniqueness not to fill the coffers of these companies that hoard IP for the purpose of sueing anyone who actually produces someting.
Fair enough if someone starts making a product that infinges a patent you use on your product or licence for someone else to use. Maybe I should patent the idea of flying to pluto, Im never gonna do it but screw anyone else who gives it a go.
I'm beginng to think there should be some use it or loose it clause in patents to stop all this trolling.

omerbaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
To whom it may concern:
I just sent in my patent paperwork and copywrite paperwork. From now on, anytime, anyone uses the letter i in any way, shape, or form, it will be in violation of my intellectual property. Apple, Cisco and Seasame Street, you have been warned. Thank you.

By the way. Does anyone know a REALLY good lawyer?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Can someone who understands VPN a little better explain how Apple could possibly have infringed on it on the iPhone etc?

afaik VPN is a protocol and software based, and its something that Apple does not support out of the box. Third party software is required.

There isn't some sort of hardware implementation required to create a VPN is there?

I could but would just give you a headache, so just take it as simply tunneling thru the internet secured between two points.

But this has nothing to do with the patent. I have not read the patent but I will bet my right one that its broad and has absolutely nothing specific or marketable that could be the reason why they are doing it in TEXAS. Texas is just one of those F up states that is so blind to things like this that they really don't care if it hurts innovation, not exactly a haven of knowledge or intelligence.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Im getting a bit bored of this. The pont of patents is to stop people stealing your ideas and your product's uniqueness not to fill the coffers of these companies that hoard IP for the purpose of sueing anyone who actually produces someting.
Fair enough if someone starts making a product that infinges a patent you use on your product or licence for someone else to use. Maybe I should patent the idea of flying to pluto, Im never gonna do it but screw anyone else who gives it a go.
I'm beginng to think there should be some use it or loose it clause in patents to stop all this trolling.
These companies primarily make their money off of licensing the technology not suing over them.
They resort to suing when they can't get a licensing deal.

Remember.. not everyone who comes up with a patentable idea has the means or resources to turn it into an actual product.
So the suggestion that patents should only be issued to those that can produce and actual product from their idea is absurd.

I'm not saying I agree with every holding companies dispute, but the idea behind a patent holding company is still a good one.
Especially for the guy who has a great idea but lacks the funding and resources to make it happen.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Yup, your friendly local congress critter.

Just because some find ways to abuse the system doesn't mean there's not legitimate cases for protecting people's hard work.
Want to also revoke those antiquated laws 'your friendly local congress critters' enacted to prevent someone from walking into your house to take what they want?
Didn't think so.

Righties always want the government to protect them but not the other guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.