Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

7-Inch iPad to Launch By Christmas?

IDG News translates a new Economic Daily News report that claims a 7" iPad will indeed be launched by Christmas of this year. The Economic Daily reports that Taiwanese companies have won a number of component contracts for the iPad 2. Chimei Innolux will supply 7-inch LCD screens, which use the same IPS (in-plane switching) technology found in the original iPad, which improves viewing angles and color on LCD screens. Touchscreen technology for the screens will come from Cando Corporation, the report says.While talk of a 7" iPad has been circulating for some time, it has recently regained the spotlight with a report from iLounge earlier this month. iLounge offered the above mock-up and suggested the 7" iPad would launch later this year or early next. Meanwhile, Digitimes also reported on the likelihood a 7" iPad just last week.

The currently shipping 9.7" iPad has been seen as a huge success selling 3.27 million units during the first quarter of sales.

Article Link: 7-Inch iPad to Launch By Christmas?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
johnhmeyer123
macrumors member

If Apple doesn't use a Retina display, us developers could use the interfaces for the iPhone 4 to fit this screen. If you're a developer, you can change the iPhone simulator to the iPhone 4, and see it's screen size based on the resolution difference....Very interesting.

This would be a great way to compete directly with the nook and kindle to serve as a smaller, more portable reading device.
johnhmeyer123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
rowanmwilliams
macrumors member

I would love for this to be true. Even better price point!

How would this affect app's that fit the 9" something screen? Would it scale down correctly or would it be yet another size the developer have to account for?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
If it was a fair amount cheaper it would be a pretty sick alternative to the iPad, I guess the iPad is going to go the way of the laptop, multiple screen sizes etc.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
bocomo
macrumors 6502

i guess the 7" would work for some, but i'm going to stick with the 9"

seems like just the right size for me

perhaps they are looking to eat into sales of cheaper eReaders
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

It's imperative that they make a 5.5" model.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7
lozpop
macrumors 6502

A 7-inch iPad could be a good move, but I really hope that Apple won't launch a new 9.7" iPad with more RAM and a faster processor after 5-6 months after the first iPad.

It would be a kick in the ass of millions of people.
lozpop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:32 AM   #8
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

I'd rather see a slightly bigger iphone. It would be interesting to see if the smaller ipad has a market.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:33 AM   #9
greigallen
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to greigallen Send a message via Skype™ to greigallen
Why would anyone want a smaller one?

If you want smaller, get a iPod Touch
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:33 AM   #10
boncellis
macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, I think iLounge had this first. They have been pretty reliable on this kind of stuff when they hear something.

I think it was just a matter of time before Apple offered another version. I just hope they start it at $399.
boncellis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:34 AM   #11
johnhmeyer123
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greigallen View Post

Have you held a nook or kindle?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:34 AM   #12
goinskiing
macrumors 6502a

These rumors are starting to feel like the rumors from last year and the iPod Touch camera. The evidence was mounting then as well. A 7" would be cool I admit, but I don't see that coming so hot on the heels of the original release 9" which I may add is doing superb. I think, for me anyways, I like the real estate of the 9". As far as retina display, I think that should be on the list of annoying buzz phrases of 2010. Yeah the retina display is amazing, but good grief, I'm real tired of hearing about it in the forums ad nauseum.

/rant
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #13
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

Believable as I can see it aimed at those considering the cheaper e-reader devices for reading.
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #14
robodude666
macrumors member

Isn't Chimei the company who was responsible for the Samsung 226BW "C" Panel back in the day? Have they improved their manufacturing since ~2007? I didn't know they produce any IPS panels... Don't most good IPS panels come from LG?
robodude666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #15
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:

For starters, a 7" iPad would compete more directly with a well-established eReader market, so we know there is a demand for smaller tablet devices. Also, it would likely be less expensive, which would definitely spur sales. The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales. Let's not forget that over forty percent of iPad buyers have a self-reported income of over $100,000. If Apple really wants to bring this product category to the masses, they will need to make it cheaper. A smaller, less pricey model would proceed down the correct path. That's one reason why the iPod mini/nano is the best selling model in the iPod lineup.

The iPod touch would not be the same as using a slightly smaller iPad. I own the iPod touch and I use an iPad at work. They are different beasts because of the screen size.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #16
NebulaClash
macrumors 68000

Makes sense to me. Turn the iPad market into another iPod market:
  • The original iPad (iPod)
  • 7" iPad (iPod nano)
  • Some special, larger iPad in the future (iPod touch)

When you create a multi-product line at various price points, you compete well against all competition.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #17
arctic
macrumors 6502a

I think this will be a wise move for Apple since I can imagine this will be priced competitively. Kinda like the poor man's 9.7" iPad. As someone mentioned, this will eat the sales of the cheaper eReaders like the Nook and Kindle.
arctic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:36 AM   #18
greigallen
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to greigallen Send a message via Skype™ to greigallen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhmeyer123 View Post
Have you held a nook or kindle?
Kindle's have just reached us in the UK, but no I ain't.

I'm guessing smaller = better reading.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:36 AM   #19
D0rk
macrumors member

Eh, I would only like this if it were super cheap.

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for app developers if the resolution is different from the iPhone 4 or current iPad?
D0rk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #20
balamw

Quote:

I think this is more Apple's way of making iPads more available. If they keep a 1024x768 IPS display for this device they free themselves of the supply chain constraints for the 10" screen which has been reported as the main limiting factor to how many iPads they can make (and thus sell).

Plus, if they can sell it for $100-$150 cheaper they will make it more readily available to all.

B
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #21
Consultant
macrumors G5

Is it going to be a slate moment for all the knockoff makers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0rk View Post

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for app developers if the resolution is different from the iPhone 4 or current iPad?
Likely to be the same.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #22
johnhmeyer123
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0rk View Post

NOT at all! I'm a developer, see my first post on the top.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #23
NebulaClash
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales.
Well I agree with your post, I'm curious about this statement. Since Apple still cannot make iPads fast enough to keep up with sales, do you mean we hear anecdotally on these boards about people saying the iPad costs too much? I don't see how it could show up in sales figures since they can't keep them in stock.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Nishi100
macrumors 6502a

If the 7 inch iPad has a:
  • Front facing camera
  • More RAM
  • Faster Processor
  • Bigger Hard Drive
  • Back facing camera (don't mind if it does or doesn't)
  • A flash (if it has a back facing camera)
  • Gyroscope
Then I'm getting it.
Nishi100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:39 AM   #25
EvanAgee
macrumors member

I think it's almost a given that they'll release a model that can support full 1080p video. I'm not sure why they're making a smaller version though, seems to get into the territory of the iPod Touch.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion