Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I've had two 13" MBPs, one mid-2009 that was a base model that I upgraded to 4gb ram - great laptop.

I bought this 2010 base model about three weeks ago to replace my 27" i5 and I've noticed it stutters all the time. I'll scroll down a webpage and at times it will just completely pause before continuing to scroll. I'm typing this post right now and as I type it will sometimes hesistate before finishing displaying what I am typing. If I watch 720p videos every 20-30 seconds the whole video will just pause and after a second it will continue to play, albeit playing the last second quickly before catching up to current.

What the christ is going on with this thing? I've heard other complaints of this happening, but not too often. Am I crazy, is my system broken, or is this just common on the new machines? Sitting at the Apple store to talk to a 'genius' isn't really in the cards, as the local store is constantly asspacked with hour plus waits.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Ok, I think I have found the reason. It's a Toshiba MK2555GSXF, this load cycle count is retardedly high for its age so it looks like it's parking the drive EVERY 30 SECONDS... thus the stutter. I wonder if I can get an apple genius to understand this and replace my drive. I ordered a 500gb WD Scorpio Blue last night but I guess I will take it in to get a brand new OEM drive first. I also need a fix for this so it doesn't happen with the new drive.

Ben-

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Just to chime in, my previous 2009 MB and my current 2010 MBP both have that Toshiba HDD and it seems to park its head like no trw! The sound that it makes resembles the click sound from the trackpad when you press on it, but it is slightly softer. The constant clicking sound has been quite annoying ever since I've been studying in a library.

Is this an isolated case for that specific Toshiba HDD model? Could others with the 13.3" MBP chime in as to what HDD model they have and if they also suffer from the same issue?

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Just to chime in, my previous 2009 MB and my current 2010 MBP both have that Toshiba HDD and it seems to park its head like no trw! The sound that it makes resembles the click sound from the trackpad when you press on it, but it is slightly softer. The constant clicking sound has been quite annoying ever since I've been studying in a library.

Is this an isolated case for that specific Toshiba HDD model? Could others with the 13.3" MBP chime in as to what HDD model they have and if they also suffer from the same issue?

If you are hearing a soft clicking it is from a bar holding the logic board in place scratching against the bottom casing. It sounds like the HDD but is really nothing to worry about. I have a 2010 15" i7 and mine stutters and freezes randomly. Not very happy. I'm getting a replacement in 2 weeks.

Ben-

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
If you are hearing a soft clicking it is from a bar holding the logic board in place scratching against the bottom casing. It sounds like the HDD but is really nothing to worry about. I have a 2010 15" i7 and mine stutters and freezes randomly. Not very happy. I'm getting a replacement in 2 weeks.

Are you referring to this sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M)?
I believe that is the logic board bracket sound; a solution was provided here (http://www.tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/).

The noise that I hear is nothing like that. It is a single pop sound or a click sound that occurs every 1-2 minutes when the macbook is idle. It is quite subtle, but it occurs frequent enough that it catches your attention.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I tried disabling putting the HDD to sleep, disabled sudden motion sensor, switched to a WD Scorpio Blue 500gb drive, etc.

It still stutters. Driving me insane, but I don't want to take it back because then I have to swap the stock drive back in, reformat it, etc.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I can't speak for you but I had a Seagate Momentus XT drive and it would do this before it showed it was failing. I now put my original Seagate HDD back in my MBP and there is no more stuttering.

What I'm trying to say is that a HDD issue is most likely at fault.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I can't speak for you but I had a Seagate Momentus XT drive and it would do this before it showed it was failing. I now put my original Seagate HDD back in my MBP and there is no more stuttering.

What I'm trying to say is that a HDD issue is most likely at fault.

That is what I assumed when I bought the computer, but I had already ordered the WD so I figured it'd be a non-issue as swapping the drive would fix it. It did not. I have an appointment for 11:45 tomorrow, we'll see what they do The pessimist in me thinks that they will blame my aftermarket HDD.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
That is what I assumed when I bought the computer, but I had already ordered the WD so I figured it'd be a non-issue as swapping the drive would fix it. It did not. I have an appointment for 11:45 tomorrow, we'll see what they do The pessimist in me thinks that they will blame my aftermarket HDD.

My OEM drive is showing as failing now too. I'm starting to think it's not a coincidence. Going to Apple store tomorrow to figure out my options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.