Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craiger902

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
My wife and I (along with her sisters) are chipping in and getting my 65 year old mother in law an iPad. She's only learned how to use a computer in the last few years and she really only uses it for looking at pictures and sending some emails. Just wondering what would be some good apps to put on the iPad for her. She likes sudoku, knitting, cooking and stuff like that. Any suggestions?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
My mom loves bejeweled! Has since I got her hooked in it for her palm eons ago. :D

I'd probably go with the iTunes card though and a list of some for her to look at on her own.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I would get her some pre installed books/novels
and some pre installed movies and then if she really likes all that, get her an itunes gift card and show her how to use it.
Weather HD is a nice App and if your local paper has as online version you can put a direct liknk to that. Or CNN.com
Solitare
Dictionary (because for some strange reason old people are always looking thing up)
Show her how to use YouTube

EDIT:
Oh and also, you could get her one of those Medical books cause old people are always looking that stuff up too!

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
old?

I would get her some pre installed books/novels
and some pre installed movies and then if she really likes all that, get her an itunes gift card and show her how to use it.
Weather HD is a nice App and if your local paper has as online version you can put a direct liknk to that. Or CNN.com
Solitare
Dictionary (because for some strange reason old people are always looking thing up)
Show her how to use YouTube

EDIT:
Oh and also, you could get her one of those Medical books cause old people are always looking that stuff up too!

65 is the new 45 - save 'old' for geezers. I'd start at 80.:)

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
as a 64yr old female...
My favourites in no particular order.
Koi Pond for older friends in their 80s / 90s and young grandkids to show them how a touch screen works.
Bright puzzles = jigsaws
The Elements
Sudoku Real Edition
Star Walk for iPad
Nick's Ultimate Word Search
McSolitaire Gold (Retina HD)
Converter for iPad (Units & Currencies)
Osmos for iPad
Angry Birds
Matrix Balls
PocketMoney - chequebook, budgets, expenses
Zen Bound 2 Universal.
Hope she loves it ....... 65 is one of the best times of life.
From my iPad. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.