Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I'm on holiday and using my 3G iPad to stay in touch with the outside world!

Ive only got GPRS but signal is full, and almost every time i come out of safari the pages reload?

Or if a page is loading and i come out of safari when i comeback to it it wont have loaded and will just be a white screen.

Its really starting to get on my nerves now due to the time it takes to even load a page.

Is it due to the Poor data connection?

I have read about possible ram limitations but surely it's not so bad i cant have 2 pages open?????

Or is it because it's managing 3G as well? My wifi one wasn't this bad

SemlinaPilchard

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
UK
Isn't it just that the iPad doesn't multitask, at least not until OS4 arrives?

So when you come out of Safari it stops loading, it's not happening in the background as you might be assuming. And when you go back to the page, it has to load it again.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Oh really?????

So this thing cant even load a page if you come out of it quickly????? I always thought apples apps, I.e. Mail and safari could run in the background.

This sucks then.....

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I don't think it is a iPad problem in general.

Mine loads a couple of pages at a time just fine on 3G. GPRS is notably slower.

Silly question, but, Have you tried clearing the cache and rebooting the iPad?

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
The behavior your describing seems worse than it should be. It's possible that something is "glitchy" with your iPad state. (maybe an app crashed, or something).

Try powering it off completely (by pressing and holding the menu and power button until the red slide to power off switch appears, etc...)

That will cleanup after any misbehaving apps.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks guys, will reboot it now and report back!

Won't make a difference. You run a few apps and then quit and then keep using Safari and you'll be back with the same issue. The iPad does NOT have enough RAM. It's my biggest gripe with the iPad.

So, truly, get used to it - or sell it. It sucks, I agree.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Well your right..... It's no better.....

May be partly due to the poor data connection its not loading pages correctly?! BUt it's a poor show indeed :mad:

Makes me prefer using my iPhone 4 to be honest!!!!!

I can see this being sold asap when iPad 2 comes out

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well your right..... It's no better.....

May be partly due to the poor data connection its not loading pages correctly?! BUt it's a poor show indeed :mad:

Makes me prefer using my iPhone 4 to be honest!!!!!

I can see this being sold asap when iPad 2 comes out

Yep poor show indeed. I'll be selling my iPad the day iPad 2 comes out.

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
I have the same problem on WIFI. Very frustrating when I go to another tab that I loaded something in to read later, the page pops up and then after teasing me, it goes white and starts to reload.

I'm no computer expert at all, but how can it show the site for a split second but then have to reload due to low memory?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the same problem on WIFI. Very frustrating when I go to another tab that I loaded something in to read later, the page pops up and then after teasing me, it goes white and starts to reload.

I'm no computer expert at all, but how can it show the site for a split second but then have to reload due to low memory?

Just a resident image. Does the same thing on the iPhone 4/3GS if you have viewed the page and then reboot the phone. It still keeps a snapshot of the page but then reloads it completely.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
What version of iOS are y'all using? 3.2.1 cleared that problem. At least it did on mine. (32 gig wifi). It won't reload pages unless I have four to five pages open depending on page sizes. I also start to open a page, depress the home button, and when I go back to Safari the page is loaded.

You can alo try Atomic web browser. It also supports tabbed browsing.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Right I'm now getting sick to death of this!!!!!

From me making this post, I can go to another window and it'll reload, surely this isnt normal?????

Doing my head in big time now

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
What version of iOS are y'all using? 3.2.1 cleared that problem. At least it did on mine. (32 gig wifi). It won't reload pages unless I have four to five pages open depending on page sizes. I also start to open a page, depress the home button, and when I go back to Safari the page is loaded.

You can alo try Atomic web browser. It also supports tabbed browsing.

I agree that 3.2.1 software improved things but it still seems like it could be better. I can now open a full nine tabs and not have any of them need to reload when I switch. The reloading does start again however if on one of those tabs I start to navigate through more and more pages.

To the OP. . . Your problems seem way more extreme than mine. Apples apps do run in the background. Safari will continue to load a page on mine if I leave safari. Try going into - system prefs / safari / clear cache.

I'm not sure I believe that the problem is the RAM like so many are saying. My iPhone 3GS has never noticably had this problem and I'm always opening tab after tab on it. (same RAM)

I have high hopes that the issue will be improved in iOS 4.2. And as I said to begin i'm sure the recent iPad update helped a lot.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks mate, I'll try that now!

If it still does it I'll book a genius appointment gotta go anyway due to iPhone 4 shutting off randomly

Maybe i should try a total restore too?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
It's been driving me mental too mate so I downloaded icabmobile and use that instead of Safari. Problem solved and it's so much better with great additional functionality. Give it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.