Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tutankhamark

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I have always admired Banksy's work but I struggle to really work out what each individual one means. I think it is called 'Flower Bomber'.
I would like to know what the true meaning of this piece is?
The reason I'm asking is that I want to use it to make a skin for my macbook on uniqueskins.com

The final skin design is shown, the apple will be the lighting apple logo from the macbook, not black though

Attachments

• banksy chav.jpg
    banksy chav.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 97,853
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,195

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
It means Peace.

edit: at least that's what it symbolises to me. Only Banksy really nows. It might mean he hates the bourgeois excesses of franchise florists.

edit x2: I can't help but think the image of him lobbing the bouquet at the Apple logo changes the meaning. Perhaps for the better.....

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
why would that be for the better though?
Perhaps a statement against Apple's control everything business model? Or an even more edgy anti-capitalist statement? Or just a hatred of Apples :p!

I think you might be reading a bit too much into it. If you like the skin go for it. Only Banksy knows the true meaning. Or even if he's entirely happy with it being used in such a way.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things but it looks like the flowers all contain colours from the old rainbow apple logo and maybe that's the significance.

Tutankhamark

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things but it looks like the flowers all contain colours from the old rainbow apple logo and maybe that's the significance.

its so weird you said that because about 3 hours ago i ordered that skin and a retro apple logo cover to go on the logo. i made this quick on PS to see what it would look like. i like how the flowers and the apple match....

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    23 KB · Views: 452

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Simple: Instead of using a fire bomb or explosive to promote violence, and pain, you use flowers instead, to promote peace, and love.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Its Irony.

The Man is protesting for something he loves, but in the place of a molotov etc. is a Bunch of Flowers. Kinda like the make love not war thing in America.

qwertydave123

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
it is exactly what MattZani, I know people who know banksy, im from Bristol too. i love all banksys work, this particular piece of work basicly means he will fight for something he loves. Its a shame tho that some ****s ruin his work and paint over it :mad:

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
instead of using a molotov cocktail in a riot, or fight, throw a bouquet of flowers, promoting peace, love, and harmony between the people...

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I have no idea how no one manages to catch him doing this stuff. His speed and efficiency amaze me even more than his talent.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Instead of throwing a rock, he replaced it with flowers to mean peace.

Last edited:

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
I have no idea how no one manages to catch him doing this stuff. His speed and efficiency amaze me even more than his talent.

Stencils (as said above) and he allegedly dresses up in a reflective coat, so people walking by assume he's a guy working for the council. Also *apparently* other people help him fill in the stencils but I don't know, though it would make sense.

His surprise gallery at the museum last year was pretty cool though.

tyw112

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013

You do know that it wasn't originally a mac decal right? It's Banksy's "Molotov Man". It symbolizes replacing weapons with love.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just watched the HBO documentary about his month long residency NY last night. Pretty interesting. I think his ability to capture an audience with a profound statement is quite unique these days. I looked at this website, but didn't see much new work. Anyone know what he's been up to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.