Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
First of all, yes I do have the controller driver. My xbox 360 controller works fine with every other game I have (at least the ones that support it). For some reason, even if I select xbox 360 controller as the input device at the startup screen for star wars the force unleashed, it won't work. It worked the first time I did it, but now it doesnt. I didnt change anything since the first time i did it too. How can I get it to work again?

P.S. - I also want to use the controller with prince of persia 4...there arent any menu options for it and it doesnt work when I just plug it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
First of all, yes I do have the controller driver. My xbox 360 controller works fine with every other game I have (at least the ones that support it). For some reason, even if I select xbox 360 controller as the input device at the startup screen for star wars the force unleashed, it won't work. It worked the first time I did it, but now it doesnt. I didnt change anything since the first time i did it too. How can I get it to work again?

P.S. - I also want to use the controller with prince of persia 4...there arent any menu options for it and it doesnt work when I just plug it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Are you using Windows 7 or a different OS? I am playing it off Steam and I choose the xbox 360 controller at the start and it works fine. Are you using a wireless 360 controller or a wired version? It should work fine.

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
Are you using Windows 7 or a different OS? I am playing it off Steam and I choose the xbox 360 controller at the start and it works fine. Are you using a wireless 360 controller or a wired version? It should work fine.

I'm running it in Snow Leopard and attempting to use a wired controller.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I can't help you there because I play all my games in Windows with no problems. The xbox 360 driver on Snow Leopard may need to be reinstalled and it should work. If you bought the game from Steam for the Mac, I think you also get it with Windows as well? You may want to install it on Windows. It's a good game, especially if you love Star Wars! Btw, the first level is a little choppy but it plays smooth during the next level.

jimbchicago

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
My xbox 360 controller won't work either!

Yeah, I've been on the phone with Aspyr and they can't figure it out. They said it was something on my end, but I have no clue. Can anyone help? I love star wars and am an old timer, so I really want to use a controller!

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
A lot of OS X games don't come with the full support of the Windows versions. I've seen a few missing controller options, and pretty much every single one doesn't have surround sound support (but neither really does OS X, unless Apple stepped up with the MiniDP to HDMI option, I only have it in Windows because of my flashed 4890).

Unless someone can confirm that FU has driver support. Don't have a USB gamepad to test it out with, eh?

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
A lot of OS X games don't come with the full support of the Windows versions. I've seen a few missing controller options, and pretty much every single one doesn't have surround sound support (but neither really does OS X, unless Apple stepped up with the MiniDP to HDMI option, I only have it in Windows because of my flashed 4890).

Unless someone can confirm that FU has driver support. Don't have a USB gamepad to test it out with, eh?

Well the boot menu for TFU allows you to select the 360 controller but it never works for me.

vidueirof

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
xbox 360 controller not working in mac

I can't get the xbox controller working with the force unleashed in mac although it has an option to use it.
Somebody know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

LinkMx

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Finally got this working!! Aparently Force Unleashed comes with its own driver, but if you have this driver installed, it doesn't work. I uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled the game and it works perfectly (Maybe you don't need to reinstall the game, so try just uninstalling the drivers and restarting first).

To remove the drivers do the following:

Remove the following files from your system(installed by v0.09)
/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
/Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane
/Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon

Zygon2004

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Is there something else I might be missing. I deleted all those files and restarted my computer.

I deleted the game and redownloaded it so I could reinstall it. But when I start it, it still shows my preferences (resolution, etc.) so I wonder if I failed to actually delete it correctly.

Either way, the 360 Controller still fails to operate.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? :confused:

BruceJuice

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Solved! You need a 1st gen white controller!

I FINALLY got to the bottom of this after trawling blogs, support sites, all over the web, thanks to Aspyr technical support (I hope they update their site and sales materials to share this info properly).

It transpires that SWTFU Sith Edition was written for and only works with the OLD 1st GEN WHITE-COLORED wired XBox 360 controller for windows, and NOT the current BLACK-COLORED 2nd generation wired controller. That's not exactly clear when you are buying the game and this has caught a lot of people out. So bad news if you bought a new controller specially (like me).

If you want to play SWTFU with an XBox 360 controller you need to go looking on Amazon for an OLDER 1ST GEN CONTROLLER (new or second hand) which is WHITE (you can't buy a white 2nd Gen controller). Apparently the original driver (for that older controller) can also be found here http://xhd.sourceforge.net/ or tattiebogle,net may still work. I just found an old controller on Amazon and ordered it, I'll report back if that indeed solves the problem.

UPDATE: the old 1st Gen White wired XBox 360 controller for windows WORKS WITH SWTFU! Again SWTFU has it's own driver and this was written for and ONLY works with the white Xbox 360 controller for windows and not the newer 2nd generation BLACK one. However what I also discovered is that you need to uninstall any Tattiebogle driver you have installed. Instructions on how to do this are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKH_qwJ55Hs This is a pain, since other games (e.g. Tomb Raider) need the Tattiebogle driver. I wish Aspyr would simply update this game to work with Tattiebogle and the newer Xbox controllers!!

Last edited:

gragma

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Hi I now have a first gen controller and can not get starwars to recognise it with or without either of the drivers you have mentioned installed nor with or without the controller option checked at the start up screen.

Is there something really obvious that I am missing?

please help

Grag

neuronadigital

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Mexico City
Cheap and amazing solution

For Mac OSX users, just download Joystick Mapper from App Store, is the best way for play SWTFU with any Xbox Controller (1st, 2nd, 360)

I tested and I loved.

In just few steps you configure all your 360´s buttoms, fast and easy.

For SWTFU gammers I attach my 360´s configuration. Enjoy!!

Reactions: evilswa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.