Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
alright let's see what systems everyone has. please share what you have. i'll start:

home built system
i7 930 @ 3.79 ghz
6 gb ram
gtx465
gtx260
running windows, bigadv units and gpu

alienware computer
i7 920 @ 3.75 ghz
9 gb ram
2 x gtx260

asus computer
i7 920 @ 3.82 ghz
9 gb ram
gtx 260
liquid cooled - i added myself a corsair H50

2006 mac pro (1st gen)
2 x 2.66 xeon
14 gb ram
gts 250
2 x 9800GT
running windows, advmethods units and gpu

ps3 folding

and that's all i have folding right now. i've got a few laptops around, but i'm not folding with them. if i get close to 100k ppd, i might start them up to put me over the hump.

i would love to sell some of these and get a new mac pro. we'll see

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
1) Mac Pro 2007 8 cores 3Ghz. 22k PPD with bigadv

2) iMac 2006 2.13 1.1k PPD

3) Mac Mini 2007 2Ghz 1k PPD

4) MacBook 2006 2.13 1k PPD

5) MacBook Air 1st gen 1.6 400 PPD unless I miss the bonus dealine

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

1- ps3 folding

2- my home build i7 quad core (4gb ram (ATM about to go to 8gb )

3- sometimes nvidia graph card on above system

Seems kinda little but I'm 15 so I don't have much hard ware I like thread starter have 2 laptops and a netbook I could use but don't

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

TheShinyMac said:
What is folding? No really. What is it?

Short for folding at home basically in short it's a project started and maintained by Stanford uni where you install software on your computer and it uses your hardwares orocesing power to simulate protines folding basically this reasearch helps them understand about misfolding protines and basically in short the reaserch helps them find cures for all sorts of stuff like cancer and altsimers ect for a more detailed explanation wikipedia write a good explanation but also google fah and look on their website

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding%40home?wasRedirected=true

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

1- ps3 folding

2- my home build i7 quad core (4gb ram (ATM about to go to 8gb )

3- sometimes nvidia graph card on above system

Seems kinda little but I'm 15 so I don't have much hard ware I like thread starter have 2 laptops and a netbook I could use but don't

what is your folding name?

what client are you using with your i7 machine? you should get a good ppd with that machine

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Originally posted by TheShinyMac
What is folding? No really. What is it?

Short for folding at home basically in short it's a project started and maintained by Stanford uni where you install software on your computer and it uses your hardwares orocesing power to simulate protines folding basically this reasearch helps them understand about misfolding protines and basically in short the reaserch helps them find cures for all sorts of stuff like cancer and altsimers ect for a more detailed explanation wikipedia write a good explanation but also google fah and look on their website

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home?wasRedirected=true

Like Matty-p says! here is a link to their website . It's a way for us to help medical research.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
folding name whiterabbit

I'm at work so this is from memory...

1) 2009 Macpro 8 core 2.66mhz
6 gigs of ram, Mac OSX 10.6.4
40-50k ppd running -bigadv

2)home built rig in server box
i7 980x at stock speed
12 gigs of ram, Ubuntu Linux
?? ppd standard a3 units
this is the one that will get windows and a gtx 480 so it can run -bigadv + gpu

3)home built rig in server box
i7 920 at stock speed
6 gigs ram, Win 7
??ppd standard wu
2x gtx 275 gpu 7k ppd each
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

4)home built rig in server box
AMD cpu 6 gigs ram, win 7
??ppd standard wu
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

i7 980x at stock speed
?? ppd standard a3 units

i7 920 at stock speed
6 gigs ram, Win 7
??ppd standard wu
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

??ppd standard wu
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

man you could be getting a lot more PPD if you overclocked the 2 home built i7 machines. of course windows is where the bigadv units are right now, so that's where the points are.

i am curious, what do you do when you get a new video card or processor, with the old one? in other words, do you use the old stuff, or just take it out and let it sit around?

that's the hardest issue i have with upgrading. i'd love to upgrade my system to a 6-core, but then i'd have my 4-core just sitting there

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
man you could be getting a lot more PPD if you overclocked the 2 home built i7 machines. of course windows is where the bigadv units are right now, so that's where the points are.

i am curious, what do you do when you get a new video card or processor, with the old one? in other words, do you use the old stuff, or just take it out and let it sit around?

that's the hardest issue i have with upgrading. i'd love to upgrade my system to a 6-core, but then i'd have my 4-core just sitting there

I've had problems with stability trying to overclock but maybe when I have some time I can do some tweeking.

Well so far old stuff just sits around :D I have 4 identical naked amd rigs I should get on ebay, they were too slow to make a difference in my points, plus other odds and ends I don't use any more.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

i7 980x at stock speed
?? ppd standard a3 units

i7 920 at stock speed
6 gigs ram, Win 7
??ppd standard wu
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

??ppd standard wu
1x gt 260 gpu 4k ppd

Update: on PPD the gtx 275's are getting more like 9k ppd and the gt 260's are getting about 7k ppd

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've had problems with stability trying to overclock but maybe when I have some time I can do some tweeking.

Well so far old stuff just sits around :D I have 4 identical naked amd rigs I should get on ebay, they were too slow to make a difference in my points, plus other odds and ends I don't use any more.

well if you are having trouble overclocking, i'd be happy to help you out. i'm not the best either, but i've been learning.

so did you upgrade to that 6-core processor? or did you build a new system around it?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well if you are having trouble overclocking, i'd be happy to help you out. i'm not the best either, but i've been learning.

so did you upgrade to that 6-core processor? or did you build a new system around it?

I built a new system with a gigabyte x58a-ud3 and stock cooler, which is massive. It can handle 2 x16 cards, I probably didn't need all that ram though for a single cpu and I already had a 650 psu but if that isn't enough power I will have to swap the 480 into one of the other systems which have 1200 watt psu's.

I have one more 650 psu that I want to use this fall for another build so that I can put the 275 gpu's into the 650 psu builds and 2 each 400 class gpu's into the 1200 watt machines, does that make sense? Anyway I will end up with: 2 builds with 650 watt psu's and 4 gtx 275 gpu's and 2 builds with 1200 watt psu's with 4 400 class gpu's.

My goal is to reach 1 million points per week!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I built a new system with a gigabyte x58a-ud3 and stock cooler, which is massive. It can handle 2 x16 cards, I probably didn't need all that ram though for a single cpu and I already had a 650 psu but if that isn't enough power I will have to swap the 480 into one of the other systems which have 1200 watt psu's.

I have one more 650 psu that I want to use this fall for another build so that I can put the 275 gpu's into the 650 psu builds and 2 each 400 class gpu's into the 1200 watt machines, does that make sense? Anyway I will end up with: 2 builds with 650 watt psu's and 4 gtx 275 gpu's and 2 builds with 1200 watt psu's with 4 400 class gpu's.

My goal is to reach 1 million points per week!

oh ok. so you will primary fold with just 4 systems, or 5?

right now i have 4 primary systems that i'm folding with, and i would love to build another, but not right now with the heat. maybe when it gets colder. sometimes i wish i had a basement to put them!

just so you know, you can fold with a 200 series and 400 series gpu in the same system. it took a little for me to get it to work, but it does.

let us know when you start building another rig. and how the overclock is coming!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
oh ok. so you will primary fold with just 4 systems, or 5?

right now i have 4 primary systems that i'm folding with, and i would love to build another, but not right now with the heat. maybe when it gets colder. sometimes i wish i had a basement to put them!

just so you know, you can fold with a 200 series and 400 series gpu in the same system. it took a little for me to get it to work, but it does.

let us know when you start building another rig. and how the overclock is coming!

I'll still use the mac pro so that would be 5 systems.

Heat is a problem for me too so the overclocking will have to wait a while and a new build will have to wait a couple of months.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'll still use the mac pro so that would be 5 systems.

Heat is a problem for me too so the overclocking will have to wait a while and a new build will have to wait a couple of months.

oh ok. yeah 5 systems is quite a bit. i think for right now 4 is my limit. so for me to get anything else, i'd have to sell something. but we'll see. i'd love to build a 6 or 12 core system

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So I got the GTX 480 and was messing around with getting it running without any luck. I'll have to spend some more time with it and getting windows installed on the 980x machine. I tried swapping it with a gt 260 but it didn't want to run, it was getting errors.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
So I got the GTX 480 and was messing around with getting it running without any luck. I'll have to spend some more time with it and getting windows installed on the 980x machine. I tried swapping it with a gt 260 but it didn't want to run, it was getting errors.

you have to run the gpu3 client to get it to work. it has to get a core15 unit. gpu2 uses core11 (you can actually get core11 in gpu3, but they only work on 200 series gpus)

i can help you with this if you need it. are you running just the 480, or the 480 with another card?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've put the 480 back into the 980x machine and installed windows and everything was fine until I installed the latest Nvidia driver, which is required to do folding in the gpu, now the video is flashing on and off, black screen, more off than on so it's impossible to do anything :mad: I checked Nvidia's web site and it seems that this may be a known issue. Oh, it also runs for a couple of hours then shuts down for no reason :mad: So at present I'm stuck until they get the driver fixed, and who know how long that will take. I can't even get the folding software loaded until I can see the screen at least most of the time :mad:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've put the 480 back into the 980x machine and installed windows and everything was fine until I installed the latest Nvidia driver, which is required to do folding in the gpu, now the video is flashing on and off, black screen, more off than on so it's impossible to do anything :mad: I checked Nvidia's web site and it seems that this may be a known issue. Oh, it also runs for a couple of hours then shuts down for no reason :mad: So at present I'm stuck until they get the driver fixed, and who know how long that will take. I can't even get the folding software loaded until I can see the screen at least most of the time :mad:

oh man. that's not cool.

take a look here. there is a link to a driver sweeper. direct link if the other doesn't work.

let us know if you are still having trouble and we'll try to help

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
oh man. that's not cool.

take a look here. there is a link to a driver sweeper. direct link if the other doesn't work.

let us know if you are still having trouble and we'll try to help

Well I fixed the video problem... I have been using a KVM to route all video to one monitor that way I don't have to keep unplugging the monitor from each machine as I check it, so I decided to see what would happen if I hooked the monitor directly to the 980x and it works perfectly that way.

Then I tried to load the folding apps and that didn't go so well so I have some more work to do to figure that out.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well I fixed the video problem... I have been using a KVM to route all video to one monitor that way I don't have to keep unplugging the monitor from each machine as I check it, so I decided to see what would happen if I hooked the monitor directly to the 980x and it works perfectly that way.

Then I tried to load the folding apps and that didn't go so well so I have some more work to do to figure that out.

well glad you got it figured out.

as for the folding apps, let me know what you tried, so i can help you get it working!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well glad you got it figured out.

as for the folding apps, let me know what you tried, so i can help you get it working!

All is well now, I have a bigadv unit started on it as well as gpu folding. I took some fiddling around trying figure it out but it's cranking now, should see results soon. It did run one normal a3 unit in very quick time and the gpu is hitting about 14k ppd which is slow :p but I think the cpu is hogging all it's cycles.

I'll need to figure out how to adjust things to get them both running at best speed. And when the weather gets cooler I can try oc'ing this rig as well as the other 2 rigs.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
By the way - I feel like a traitor running 3 (legit) copies of windows for a mac team, Ubuntu is still on some of the disks but not running on anything now. At least I have Mac OSX running on the Mac Pro with maybe another Mac Pro coming next year... sometime...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
All is well now, I have a bigadv unit started on it as well as gpu folding. I took some fiddling around trying figure it out but it's cranking now, should see results soon. It did run one normal a3 unit in very quick time and the gpu is hitting about 14k ppd which is slow :p but I think the cpu is hogging all it's cycles.

I'll need to figure out how to adjust things to get them both running at best speed. And when the weather gets cooler I can try oc'ing this rig as well as the other 2 rigs.

glad you got it working! if you think the cpu is taking away from the gpu, then run -smp 11 in your case (12 logical cores right?) that will give a little to the gpu (i have 8 logical cores, and on one machine i run -smp 7 to give to the gpus)

yeah you gotta overclock to get the real points

By the way - I feel like a traitor running 3 (legit) copies of windows for a mac team, Ubuntu is still on some of the disks but not running on anything now. At least I have Mac OSX running on the Mac Pro with maybe another Mac Pro coming next year... sometime...

i don't feel bad really. i still use macs everyday, just not for folding right now.

dang you would really put up some points if you got another mac pro!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.