Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matx5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Hey all,

Yesterday my macbook stopped working, when i pressed the power button nothing happened. So I decided to open it to see if I could fix it. I've found the problem but it's a really weird one:
If I connect the power supply and press the on button, nothing happens.
If I connect the power supply, disconnect the battery and press the on button, nothing happens.
But if I connect the power supply, then press the on button and after that disconnect the battery the macbook starts booting.

Has anyone had this problem before and knows what's the part to replace?

Thanks in advance,

Matjas

Might be a firmware problem?
Have you tried resetting the SMC?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

I don't know that the SMC would really have an effect on this one...but it never hurts to try. You can also reset the PRAM (I don't even know what it stands for haha). Or, you can also boot in safe mode, and see if you can diagnose the problem from there. I've heard that the mac safe mode is accessed by holding down the shift key while pressing the power button. Hope some of this helps :eek:

I've tried these solutions, but it didn't work.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Well, it sounds like a hardware issue to me. I really have no idea what it is honestly...but a genius might be able to help you out. How far away do you live from your nearest apple store? If it's too far away, you might just be able to call them up and see if they can at least tell you what's up so you can get it replaced. Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance to you :/

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Run Hardware Test, on your install disk?

Try a different power supply?
(I believe that the power supply has two power sources, one which powers the Mac the other which charges the battery. So it's possible that your power supply has its knickers in a twist. Long shot though)

Does the charger charge the battery when the Mac is off? If it is, one of the LEDs on the bar graph on the battery should flash.

When you're booted, can you re-insert the battery OK? If so, go to System Profiler > Power and look at the battery info. Does it recognise the battery? Does it say Condition "Good" or "Normal"? Here's what mine says, for comparison....

Model Information:
Serial Number: 9G94406JQ8VNC
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0003
Hardware Revision: 0002
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4875
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5072
Health Information:
Cycle count: 103
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1061
Voltage (mV): 12195

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

Long shots!!! Best of luck

matx5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
@Blondie : thx for trying :), if paxes idea doesn't work I'm gonna call apple

@pax: I'll try to get my hands on a different power source and my install disk tomorrow.
The battery is not charging while the macbook is switched off. And when I reconnect the battery while the macbook is on, it switches of instantly.

matx5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
I got another power supply and the install disks today but there was no change in the behavior of the macbook when I changed the power supply. And for the hardware test, I can't run it cause when I boot from the cd de macbook shuts down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.