Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I have the 2010 Mini (specs in sig) and occasionally get these periods of lag while typing. I'll be typing out a message, and the text is a good second or so behind what keys I'm actually hitting. It eventually appears properly but it was rather annoying, especially if you try and backspace to correct a typo.

It seems to mainly happen in iChat. The problem originated in AIM, so I uninstalled it and switch to iChat thinking it was a app specific problem, but it is still happening. It will happen inside of other apps (textedit) but I mainly only notice it on iChat since I do the majority of my typing during the day on it.

I've been watching activity monitor and it doesn't appear to be a resource issue (typically 60% idle on CPU, usually at least 1 gig of ram is free). I also run SMC fan control and keep temperatures at 60c on average (I typically have a game running in the back ground). I do have a Nostromo n52te hooked up via USB, it however it set to 125hz for polling, which shouldn't be a issue.

Any ideas/thoughts on what is wrong?

I should also add this has only happened since I updated to 10.6.4 to get the latest graphics driver update (which has been great for my FPS). But I have a hard time believe it was the update, as I would expect to see more complaints about the issue by now, shrug.

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
I did not see a keyboard in your specs. It could be a delay caused by a Bluetooth keyboard, and it could take a moment to wake up/re-establish the connection before seeing what you typed. If it only happens after a period of inactivity and not all the time, this could be the culprit. If so, try a USB keyboard (even USB wireless) and see if it makes a difference.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I did not see a keyboard in your specs. It could be a delay caused by a Bluetooth keyboard, and it could take a moment to wake up/re-establish the connection before seeing what you typed. If it only happens after a period of inactivity and not all the time, this could be the culprit. If so, try a USB keyboard (even USB wireless) and see if it makes a difference.

It is a bluetooth keyboard, but that is not the issue. I understand how bluetooth connects after being idle (OS X even gives a indicator when this is happening), and that is not the issue. I am talking constant lag for many minutes, well after the bluetooth connection is made.

Not saying there couldn't be issues with how bluetooth is performing in this build of OSX, but it isn't a connecting issue.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I've narrowed it down to only happening when I have a WoW client open. Watching activity monitor, I have plenty of resources left, so not sure why this would have such a drastic increase in typing input. Typing inside of the game itself is perfectly fine, but any other window is unbearable.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Playing with settings, it is definitely a issue with WoWs multisampling interfering with the OS being able to anti alias text on the fly. 1x multisampling is lag free, 2x is slightly laggy, 4x is unbearable typing lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.