Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I just bought a new 2TB Seagate external hard drive that I want to use for an external back solution. Since my Linksys WRT-610N wireless router has a USB port on the back can I use Time Machine to back up our 27" iMac?

How should I format it? And will I be able to access the hard drive while I'm out on the road? I'm new to this networked hard drive scenario so if there's something I need to set up in the settings of the Linksys router, please let me know. Anything you can tell me about what I'm trying to do is much welcomed.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First Time Machine needs the disk to be OS Extended (the native OS X format). Format it with /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Then do the initial Time Machine backup directly connect to the Mac, because it will be HUGE. Then dismount it and then unplug it from the Mac then put it on you Linksys router USB port. Then go into that Linksys router and make sure it is shared over the network. Then go back to your Mac and hit command key+k buttons and put in the router's IP and mount the drive. Once the drive is mounted over the network go to system Preferences->Accounts, Login Options and hit the + sign to add that drive to your Startup options.

hesbasso

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Time machine buckup though linkysy router.

Hi satcomer,

I have a similar problem. I tried your solution and it´s not working for me. Maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong.

The Linksys WRT-610N does not read OS Extended format, so I had to use FAT so that the router could see it. So now I can access the disk from Finder. But Time Machine does not see it.

So, is there a way to use Time Machine with an external drive with FAT format connected though USB to a Linksys router?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.