Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
There is an app in the store titled Downloads HD. They have a lite and full version. The lite version allows you to keep 7 you tube videos on your iPad for offline viewing while the full version is unlimited. Full version is 2.99. Act now before it gets pulled.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
This has been in the app store for weeks. I'm not understanding why you think it would get pulled.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
This has been in the app store for weeks. I'm not understanding why you think it would get pulled.

Sorry. Because the last two that allowed one to do this were pulled. My bad. Ignore this post.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Wouldn't normally post here but apps like this are useful and get pulled quick. I remember iwhoopie a while back being one of them. There is an app in the app store titled Downloads HD. There is a lite and full version. The app allows you to download you tube videos for later viewing offline. Tried it with two vids a lady and worked great.

Sorry forum, guess this app isn't a big deal. I was informed it's been here for weeks. Just thought all these apps got pulled usually. Sorry for the confusion. Ignore this post.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Interesting. Might be that the approval team hasn't noticed youtube downloads because it's not written in the description. I'm curious if anybody tried it and if really works. This was released July 13 and hasn't been pulled (yet).

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Interesting. Might be that the approval team hasn't noticed youtube downloads because it's not written in the description. I'm curious if anybody tried it and if really works. This was released July 13 and hasn't been pulled (yet).

Making a you tube library as I type this.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I guess I'm just not aware of whatever developer rule this is violating. Is it the local saving of youtube videos that is prohibited?

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Silly question,

But how does it work?
I have downloaded this app but how do you download from YouTube or anywhere else for that matter?

1. Open the app

2. Type in a website, say you tube.com.

3. Get to a you tube video of your choice.

4. There is an arrow next to the space where you type in the web address. If you touch it it will have two menus, they will be bookmark and save current page. Click on save current page.

5. You will then see a number pop up on the icon with the down arrow. This is the download menu. Click on it to see your progress.

6. Only once the video is done you can watch it. To watch it go to file manager at the bottom of the screen. The screen will be blank except for an icon that reads my files. Touch it and your video will be there.

When you get enough ids you can put them in folders. Also I found out not all vids work. I have downloaded 20 ids from you tube but 3 would not start to download due to an error. Not a bad percentage I think.

Hope this helps.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
so other than mitube this is the only alternative to download you tube vids?

To the best of my knowledge , yes. It also webarchives sites for you, with the pictures in tact. Awsome app. Even the light version is good as it allows you to hold seven files at once.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile...outube-downloader-from-the-app-store-2010085/

This article states that downloading you tube content for offline viewing is against Apples policy so I guess it's life will be limited so grab it now.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I followed the instructions, but once in the My Files menu, they will not play.

Edit: Reboot fixed it.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This app has been around for a long time (relatively). I remember MiTube was removed within hours. Someone should create a website or something to track apps that escape the reviewing process and has features that violate Apple's terms. I missed out on Camera+. There is also an iPhone version (with Lite and Full versions).

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Been playing around with this app. Hands down one of the best out there. Beyond downloading YouTube and webpages for offline use you can also:

Passcode lock it.
Wifi file share.
And it has a computer type browser that does not render when multiple tabs are open. You can even import your Safari bookmarks to it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
There is an app in the store titled Downloads HD. They have a lite and full version. The lite version allows you to keep 7 you tube videos on your iPad for offline viewing while the full version is unlimited. Full version is 2.99. Act now before it gets pulled.

Dude, you just hooked me up by posting this. I had no idea an app like this was available. Good job!

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
My app mysteriously started failing. It won't save files anymore. just the "webarchive."

I can still play the files I downloaded, but I can't download anymore video.

I've tried things like "clear cookies," and restarted the ipad, to no avail.

I'll try connecting it to my laptop and see if it clears up any clogged code.

cfs123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
My app mysteriously started failing. It won't save files anymore. just the "webarchive."

I can still play the files I downloaded, but I can't download anymore video.

I've tried things like "clear cookies," and restarted the ipad, to no avail.

I'll try connecting it to my laptop and see if it clears up any clogged code.

Are you using the Lite version? Just got a new ipad from Apple Store due to an issue in my other ipad so I have not used the app since yesterday.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
Are you using the Lite version? Just got a new ipad from Apple Store due to an issue in my other ipad so I have not used the app since yesterday.

Nope. Full version. I'm going to delete it and re-install to see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.