Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Hi

Is the Apple Wireless Keyboard compatible with Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
MacNeXT said:
Hi

Is the Apple Wireless Keyboard compatible with Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

I can't see why it wouldn't be... as long as the computer has Bluetooth. I know my Apple USB keyboard and mouse work fine with Windows.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Even if you got it to connect with Bluetooth, keys on a mac keyboard are different than those on a PC. PCs have ALT Buttons, Windows Buttons...compare the two types of keyboards together, they don't match up. That being said, I would recommend either finding a different keyboard or buying a mac, rather than wasting time trying to make mac specific hardware work on a PC.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
LimeLite said:
Even if you got it to connect with Bluetooth, keys on a mac keyboard are different than those on a PC. PCs have ALT Buttons, Windows Buttons...compare the two types of keyboards together, they don't match up. That being said, I would recommend either finding a different keyboard or buying a mac, rather than wasting time trying to make mac specific hardware work on a PC.

I want to buy the keyboard for an iBook and I also want to use it for my peecee. When using a PC keyboard on the Mac, the Windows button gets the command button doesn't it? Isn't it the same the other way round?

Something else: I really hate those PC keyboards with all those ugly specific buttons you never use. I have been searching for a functional keyboard for the PC but every one seems to be contaminated with the "if it looks like a spaceship it's good" idea. Just like mice btw. Really, the apple keyboard is the only one I like except for some cherry keyboards which are very expensive.

I also like the clicky IBM PS/2 keyboards except for the fact that they consume a lot of desk space. Just like the ADB Extended Keyboard II.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Pressing the Apple key on a Apple keyboard plugged into a Windows box will not work as the Windows key, Alt and Command (Apple/Windows) are switched around on the two layouts.

oopss

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
I am using the apple wireless keyboard on my windows xp fine. I have found that I must using xp sp2 to enable the keyboard, otherwise I have to pair bluetooth pin with my PC every time when I login the windows (after successful pairing each time, it works fine on xp w/o SP2).

on the other hand, the "Ctrl", "Alt", "Windows" also works fine on Windows.
The follow is the keys on the apple keyboard:
PC<->Mac
"Ctrl" - "Control"
"Alt" - "option"
"Windows"-"Apple"

But until this moment, I dont know how to use the four media keys under Windows. Can anyone tell me? thx much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.