Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
HELP! The coaxial cable from my antenna will not unscrew from the back of the tv. I think the cables got crossed. I do not want to ruin the female end on the $2500 tv.

I tried needlenose pliars, but all they did was strip away the shape of the actual screw part.

Any suggestions?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Don't use any tools for removing the coax unless it's a last resort. Start with the least damaging method and work your way up.

1. Use your fingers. If you have to take the TV off the wall or move it so you can get a better angle at the connection, then do so.

2. If fingers alone won't work, then use something like a "jar top" opener. It's basically a foamy plastic sheet that will give you a little more leverage and grip.

3. Try a cresent wrench (if you haven't already stripped the nut on the coax). Use as little leverage as possible.

If the cresent wrench doesn't work, then a pair of vise grips, but at that point, you've probably damaged the connector's threads. But that can be remedied by using a slip-on f-type connector.

Good luck.

ft

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Coax F type connectors usually have a nut shaped area on the body designed for use with a spanner, the most common being 7/16". If you've ruined this area with pliars, pliars being the worst things you could have used, then before attempting to use any other tool I would put a couple of drops of a light penterating oil on the exposed threads of the socket and leave it half an hour or so to work it's way into the threads. DO NOT use oil out of a spray can as you risk it going into the TV.

Kafer Mike

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
The male coax fitting on the TV should have a nut shaped base. Secure it with a wrench before putting anything more than finger pressure on the coax cable nut. If it doesn't have a nut shaped base, try to secure it on the visible threads w/ needle-nose vice grips. The last thing you want to do is twist the coax fitting off the main circuit board in you TV. It doesn't take much to do -- and it will cost you $$$ to fix... :eek:

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks everyone! I finally got it off with the needle nose pliars. I need to get a set of crescent wrenches. The cable is shot, but the TV is unscathed. :rolleyes:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Glad to hear you've got it off:) Next time use the proper tool for the job:D All you need is a 7/16" open ended spanner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.