Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hello i have a G5 mac and i a PC on the same desk, i would like to have both of them running on the same monitor (new apple 23") where i could switch between the 2. How can i do this?

If there is no way can someone please give me a better idea then have 2 monitors and 2 desktops, thanks.

p.s. I know the mac are 10x better and i agree but i need a PC aswell (gaming).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Use a KVM. There are bajillions for sale and findable via Google/Froogle. You'll want to shoot for a DVI KVM (to support your monitor) and start using USB on your PC if you want to only use 1 keyboard and mouse.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Might need a new video card for the PC, too - does the current one support DVI?

Edit: I agree that USB keyboard and mouse is a good idea, but I've used a PS/2 to USB adapter with my older KVM so I could switch between my Linux box and my Powerbook. At work I've got both hooked to a 21" CRT and one of those MS split ergonomic keyboards.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
The only problem is if you get a kvm switch it will cripple your max resolution output for your monitor. And the ones that don't are so expensive that your almost better off buying a new monitor. I havn't shopped around for them in a while so maybe someone might know one that I don't that has the resolution of a 23" screen and fairly affordable. I know I would be interested in hearing about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.