Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I was going to purchase a Roku HD ($70) this week. I haven't had cable for a year and I've been fine. I'd say 75% of my media viewing comes from Netflix. The other 25% comes from streaming new shows on Megavideo or watching shows on HULU or TV company sites (ABC, NBC, etc.). I've done all this on my computer but now I want to do this through my TV. I also want the ability to rent new releases digitally right when they're released on DVD instead of going to Blockbuster. I NEVER purchase movies and have no interest in doing so. Which is a better option for me? New Apple TV or Roku HD or something else?

Looking for:
Netflix integration
rental ability
ability to watch Hulu, Megavideo, TV shows from ABC, NBC, etc.
(not necessary but would be nice)

Ein2015

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
I'd bet Roku HD would solve your needs (and is cheaper than iTV)... Roku HD-XR is the same price as iTV and has wireless N (instead of G).

Just consider the iTunes TV/movies stuff and find out if it's important to you. If not, I'd say go for a Roku.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
The Boxee Box should be out soon, great variety of streaming content.

To be honest i'd be more enthusiastic if the AppleTV opened up it's internet content to other providers.

Aside from that... most streaming boxes are pretty weak, good format support crippled by terrible UIs and a neglect of metadata.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I'd bet Roku HD would solve your needs (and is cheaper than iTV)... Roku HD-XR is the same price as iTV and has wireless N (instead of G).

Just consider the iTunes TV/movies stuff and find out if it's important to you. If not, I'd say go for a Roku.

I want to be able to rent new releases though. Is this possible on Roku? It's what is drawing me to the Apple TV since I never buy DVDs and always rent.

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I'm using a Mac mini running Plex, Love the setup! you can't beat it.. completely blows AppleTV and Roku away..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.