Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDawgES

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
I love my new 12in iBook, but there are three things I'm curious about. If you know any or all of this, please reply. Thanks!

1:
When installing extra RAM, the cheap little plastic switch keyboard thingie between F5 and F6 popped off. What is the purpose of this little guy? And why is there an electrode underneath it to communicate with the iBook? (After installing the RAM, when the computer was asleep, the computer woke up when I popped the little plastic thing back on). What would the OS care if the cheapo lock is in the open or closed position?

2:
The utility Cocktail features a tool to change how long it takes for a drive to spin down when not in use (open Cocktail, click "Disks", click "spindown") The default is 10 minutes, which seems excessively long (since the iBook will, by default and by my settings, sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. But I don't want to set it at 1 minute spin down, because I'd guess that the constant spinning up/spinning down wouldn't be good. What's a good setting, or does it not matter?

3:
When under battery power, when should I put it to sleep and when should I shut it down? I would guess that the process of starting up takes a fair amount of battery power, so my specific question is this:
Given the rate that the iBook draws power while sleeping, it is best to shut down the computer if you don't plan on using it for the next ____ hours.

Thank you all for your help!

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
BigDawgES said:
I love my new 12in iBook, but there are three things I'm curious about. If you know any or all of this, please reply. Thanks!

1:
When installing extra RAM, the cheap little plastic switch keyboard thingie between F5 and F6 popped off. What is the purpose of this little guy? And why is there an electrode underneath it to communicate with the iBook? (After installing the RAM, when the computer was asleep, the computer woke up when I popped the little plastic thing back on). What would the OS care if the cheapo lock is in the open or closed position?

2:
The utility Cocktail features a tool to change how long it takes for a drive to spin down when not in use (open Cocktail, click "Disks", click "spindown") The default is 10 minutes, which seems excessively long (since the iBook will, by default and by my settings, sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. But I don't want to set it at 1 minute spin down, because I'd guess that the constant spinning up/spinning down wouldn't be good. What's a good setting, or does it not matter?

3:
When under battery power, when should I put it to sleep and when should I shut it down? I would guess that the process of starting up takes a fair amount of battery power, so my specific question is this:
Given the rate that the iBook draws power while sleeping, it is best to shut down the computer if you don't plan on using it for the next ____ hours.

Thank you all for your help!

i have a powerbook and i've had it down to 2% battery life, thrown it into sleep mode and it lasted about 2 days and then when i went back to turning it on it was still at 2%.. i then plugged it back in immediately and it was fine. doesn't seem like it draws any power at all really.. it does but it's so small it doesn't make much of a difference. i'm sure others will chime in...

the other two questions i can't necessarily answer. sorry

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
1. The lock and magnet are there to keep the keyboard in place to fell a little lesss spongy.

3. I slept my computer at 100% battery life and it was fully in drained in about 3 days (I didn't expect it to go this quickly). So going by that, I would say shut it down if you don't plan on using it for more than a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.