Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacforPres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Hi,

I'm running a G5 quad with 2x320GB Western Digital HD (striped RAID 0). I want to back up the entire system and programs to an external drive(s) I can boot from, in case the main drive(s) fail.

What are my options for doing this? I want to have an exact copy of my system, in other words.

Thanks!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Easiest way is to pick up a large external hard drive, a 1TB model will easily do the job, and download Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. Then simply run one of those programs, and it will create an exact backup of your system, which is also bootable. If your computer has firewire 800, I would get a hard drive with a firewire 800 interface. That would be much faster than USB.

MacforPres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Thank you. What speed should the new drive be? 7200?

Easiest way is to pick up a large external hard drive, a 1TB model will easily do the job, and download Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. Then simply run one of those programs, and it will create an exact backup of your system, which is also bootable. If your computer has firewire 800, I would get a hard drive with a firewire 800 interface. That would be much faster than USB.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I believe just about any external hard drive you get will be 7200 RPM, especially if you get a desktop version (which I would strongly recommend over a portable one). Another thing to note, if you can't find "FireWire" look for IEEE 1394b

MacforPres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Where is a good place to buy drives these days? I haven't bought a drive in years. I'm in Toronto, Canada. Will buy local, or online. I have looked at Best Buy and eBay, but it's tough finding a 1TB Firewire800 drive.

I believe just about any external hard drive you get will be 7200 RPM, especially if you get a desktop version (which I would strongly recommend over a portable one). Another thing to note, if you can't find "FireWire" look for IEEE 1394b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.