Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Heya guys,

I'm thinking about buying my 5-year old girl a new iPod Touch or iPad for her birthday.

She already uses my wife's old iPhone 3G (without SIM card) to play games and watch videos & youtubes, so its basically a de-facto iPod Touch. I was thinking the new iPod Touch would allow her to make FaceTime calls to her favorite Grandaunt & grandma, and probably record video & take photos. And she can bring it along on those long car rides when we have driving holidays to nearby countries.

On the other hand, she will be getting into Primary school soon (a.k.a grade school), and an iPad may be more appropriate for that because of lessons & homework & the whole "enabled learning" concept. An iPad could also be used for all the other purposes I mentioned except Facetime calls, photos & videos.

Opinions, guys, or does anyone think this is too much to give a 5year old girl who is going on 6, even in this day and age? I wouldn't want her to get left behind, but I don't wanna spoil her either (no too much, anyway) ;)

ultio

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Germany
I think it's a good idea to get kids to use the latest technologies, but I don't think that an iPad would be appropriate for a 5 year old. It's just too big and too much. I'd go with the iPod.

Ds92

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Hey you're from Singapore too?!

Anyway, in my opinion, getting her an ipad seems a bit much. I mean she'd be better off just using a laptop if school requires online learning.

If you are willing to spend then maybe you could get her the 8gb touch. Otherwise I think you should just get her a refurbished one that's either 2g/3g. After all she's only 5

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
My 2yr old is better at using my ipad and iPod than my folks. She can unlock it, swipe to the page with all her apps on ( i still don't get how she knows which ones are her apps!) And load up the home videos of herself on it!

Shes never dropped it and always is very careful when carrying it. I'd definitely recommend getting one, its improved her speech with the flash card apps loads!

msmarks

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Stu....

if you have to ask for advice you know its not right.

If you knew you were doing the right thing yo'd just have gone and bought it.

If you want to introduce technology to your daughter, buy a product aimed at her age group..

she can still play with the iPhone she uses already.

Or buy a book or another educational toy that helps stimulate learning, intellect or encourages play and interaction with her friends.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
My 2yr old is better at using my ipad and iPod than my folks. She can unlock it, swipe to the page with all her apps on ( i still don't get how she knows which ones are her apps!) And load up the home videos of herself on it!

Shes never dropped it and always is very careful when carrying it. I'd definitely recommend getting one, its improved her speech with the flash card apps loads!

I would never let a two year old carry my iPad...just saying.

But it seems like too much for a 5 year old. If anything get her like a 2gb 8gb. It's not like 5 year olds remember that much music, you can put some games on it.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Put a case on it. Preferably waterproof. I lost an iPod Touch when Master 5 dropped it in the toilet. :( He used to play games on it while "sittin' and thinkin' ". I don't know where he got that habit from. :rolleyes:

When we get an iPad, the kids will be able to use it, but it won't be theirs.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Well, guys, all of you make valid points.

I do suppose it is a little much to buy her a new device. It's just that, being Asian, there is this fear of "losing out", or "getting left behind". You want (for yourself and your children) to be at the bleeding edge of education and technology, as much as financially and humanely possible.

She is already very adept at using iOS devices, and knows more than my wife with regards to using the device. It's because of her that her Grandaunt and grand-Godma are considring buying iPhones.

I don't think current products on the market right now that are aimed at her age group will really interest her. She has been given a few by relatives, but shows only a passing interest in using them compared to the iPhone. Actually, she uses them more as props for her dolls & other toys when she hosts "tea parties" for them.

As for books and reading, I try to read bedtime stories to her when I can to stoke her interest. Thankfully, she is keen on books and reading, and often does her own reading and writing practice happily without us asking.

I'm not really worried about her social skills. She is very sociable, and very popular wherever she goes. She gets invited to parties & places. We, the parents, get the "well, ok, if they must come...... grumble, grumble......" treatment. In fact, my thoughts on getting her the iPod Touch were meant to enhance her sociability, not retard them.

I guess I'll continue what we're doing now: handing down our old iDevices to her as we upgrade.

We'll see what the requirement are when she actually starts school.

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
get the ipod.shes used to using a device of that size and to her the ipod is size of an ipad in her tiny hands.The ipad would be too large for her to carry around.youll also save some cash in the process.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Is it something she would bring to school? That might cause other problems (like loss or damage from other kids). If you set rules like she can only use it home or during trips with you and you limit the hours she spends on it, it will probably be OK.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I would go with an iPod Touch, not an iPad. My 4 year old loves playing with the iPod Touch and is really competent with it and takes decent care of it. I let him occassionally play with the iPad, but only if he is laying in bed where it is somewhat protected.

The iPad just seems a little too big and heavy for a child that size to carry whereas the iPod Touch is perfect.

I do agree with the recommendation to get a case also.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
I was about to say iPad until everyone said iPod Touch here xD I seen my uncle play with my lil cousin, I believe he bought the iPad for himself but he does let the child handle it on his own with the multitude of children applications on the device. He'd buy the book-like protection thing and stand the iPad up so the child can fiddle with it.

But an iTouch is good too xD

INeedAMacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
get her an 8gb 4th gen and a case, dont listen to people telling you to get a book lol, get get her an itouch

mc-hokie

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
My son, now 4 1/2 has been using my touch since he was 2. He loves the iPad, and it has been great. He gets entertainment and education from it. His creativity has taken off this summer, and my wife (a kindergarten teacher) attributes much of it to the iPad. He uses drawing programs, games , educational apps, interactive books and tv shows and movies.

Even my 2 year old girl uses it. I've taught them both that it's not a toy and using it is a privilege. They are very careful with it. This has taught them responsibility as well.

It is unfair for anyone here to tell another that an iPod or iPad is not for kids. To the op...if you trust and can teach them how to use it responsibly, I think it's a great tool for them.

charpi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2006
I'm from Singapore too. I'm not a parent yet, but I work with LOTS of kids (part of my job). I don't think that a 5 year old can properly appreciate an iPod yet, but of course he/she can still enjoy it. However, I fear kids nowadays are being very spoilt. It would be good to get a new iDevice for your kid, but I'd suggest when he/she shows signs of taking it for granted, remove that privilege. Of course, if it helps your child in education, by all means.

If I were you, I'd use this as an excuse to hand down your old touch, then get a new one for yourself. Facetime with your permission, you don't want him to disturb granddad and grandma 12 hours a day do you?

Edit: Oh, and I read about your child going to primary school soon. I doubt they will need an iPad for it, it would mostly be for self-enrichment/learning. In my own opinion, I dislike kids to study with electronic devices because firstly, it is VERY easy for them to be distracted and I don't like kids to be over-reliant to e-learning, although a controlled amount is good. It may not seem like a problem now, but in the future, when your child starts picking things like FaceBook up (from my experience, around pri3), the device will be more of a distraction than an aid.

Ah, gone were the days of school without the internet and a 56k dial up connection usage means that a phone call could drop your download immediately.

StephyWu

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
I do suppose it is a little much to buy her a new device. It's just that, being Asian, there is this fear of "losing out", or "getting left behind". You want (for yourself and your children) to be at the bleeding edge of education and technology, as much as financially and humanely possible.

I'm not really worried about her social skills. She is very sociable, and very popular wherever she goes. She gets invited to parties & places. We, the parents, get the "well, ok, if they must come...... grumble, grumble......" treatment. In fact, my thoughts on getting her the iPod Touch were meant to enhance her sociability, not retard them.

I'm Asian also and there is no such fear of "losing out" with tech gadgets. That's ridiculous. I agree with Charpi, I think you need to be more concerned about spoiling your daughter. :rolleyes:

Plus, a 5 year old being "very popular wherever she goes"... I don't want to be nasty since I'm sure you mean well, but c'mon man.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
My 5 yr old girl is very adept with our iPod Touch 3g 32gb. I have a Rebeltouch case on it and an InvisibleShield on the front - it feels pretty well protected.

She definitely enjoys using it and has alot of educational apps on it she loves. Did the flashcard thing when she was a little younger. Does the letter tracing apps now and loves the US states quiz -she could point out all 50 states on a blank map when she was 2.5.

That said, it's probably a little much to just give her one and make it a clear gift. I would lean (and do) towards the device being effectively available to her most of the time, but not giving her a clear sense of ownership for obvious reasons and some of those posted above.

Your call in the end, but once you give a 5 yr old a gift like that, sure makes it hard to sell them on Barbies . .

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Ehhhh. I think an iPad would be too much, but the Touch is probably finely suited for a 5-year old. Plus, you said she has had experience with a iPhone, so i think a Touch, would be fine. :)

tucker61

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
My daughter is 6 and has been using a iPod touch for the last 2 years.
She currently uses a 16 gb 2nd generation.
I will probably sell her old one and buy a 8th 4 th generation later this year so we can FaceTime and use camera etc.

Buy/give her a iPod, but whatever you don't, don't let her know your iTunes password.
My daughter frequently asks me for mine, but I never tell her the correct password,

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Oh yeah, I forgot to add - I'm flipping the 3g iTouch for new 4g one, mainly for facetime.

Unfortunately, I work past their bedtimes close to half the year, and the clients I work late from have wifi.

So I figure it will be pretty cool to be able to facetime with her when putting her to bed and seeing the younger girl I have as well.

Better than just a phone call. And she loves the front facing camera on my iPhone - can't stop showing off for it.

MikeTheRocker96

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Canada
You've got to be joking! I don't think iPods/iPads should be used by anyone younger than 12/13 years old. Do you really think a 5 year old is going to take good care of it? Even with a heavy duty case I for see a broken iDevice in that future. Why not get your child a book for when he/she learns to read and write? Perhaps a Nintendo DS would be a better choice if you end up getting anything electronic. It's aimed more towards that age group and it would likely provide better entertainment on a road trip. Sorry to rant, just my two cents.

Rocks.

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Personally, I feel that is WAY too much. Don't spoil your child, you don't want them to turn into a spoiled brat. Don't give them everything they want, that's bad. Ipods, especially an Ipod touch or Ipad should be teengers and up. Thats how I feel anyways

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
If you want an ipad and let her use it very occasionally under supervision, that's one thing, but an ipad or ipod touch "for" a child that age? Totally. Ridiculous. Way, way too young and apt to spoil her. And I can't imagine a school, even in Singapore, where the presence of such a device uninvited in a classroom would be at all tolerated.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
If you want an ipad and let her use it very occasionally under supervision, that's one thing, but an ipad or ipod touch "for" a child that age? Totally. Ridiculous. Way, way too young and apt to spoil her. And I can't imagine a school, even in Singapore, where the presence of such a device uninvited in a classroom would be at all tolerated.

To follow these sorts of comments - this is why I would personally recommend not "gifting" the iTouch and thus create a sense of ownership that would likely lead to entitlement.

As a counterpoint to the above three posters though, my 5 yr old takes pretty good care of it and knows how to use it well. Perhaps you guys haven't observed a child that age interacting with one to realize how well they pick it up. Agree though that such devices are def not school appropriate, at least state-side.

Obviously being glue to it for hours each day is not healthy and not the recommendation here, so let's not starting beating that straw man - before anyone gets the idea :). But used in an appropriate manner and with appropriate supervision, they can be both a good motivator and instructional tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.