Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewallent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
I have 1080p movies in my iTunes... they play fine when I play them from the MacPro I have... What will happen when I stream them to the new AppleTV? Will it stream them as 720p? Will it try and play them as 1080? Will they play at all? Does anyone know how this will work?

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
That's a good question.. And to the best of my knowledge, it will probably just refuse to play them, which will be a shame, as I'd love to play some of my BluRay rips through it.

dduggan

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
I don't think it will play them. My ATV will only play up to 720p content via syncing or streaming. I don't even think the file will show on your ATV when your iTunes library is open on your computer.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't think it will play them. My ATV will only play up to 720p content via syncing or streaming. I don't even think the file will show on your ATV when your iTunes library is open on your computer.

Bingo! It'll be in your iTunes library, and play fine on the Mac, but it will not appear in the menus on the ATV.

Recently, I ripped a Blu Ray and encoded it to 720p for my ATV. But it wouldn't sync. I tried futzing with the bit rate and re-encoding it, thinking that it got a little too heavy for the ATV, but still no joy. Eventually I checked the media detail, and found that it was 29.xxx fps. Had to re-encode at 24 fps AND lower the bit rate to get it onto my ATV. It looks like crap.

Bottom line: the ATV is very picky and will simply refuse to list unplayable media in its menus. It also won't tell you why it's refusing the file, even though it knows...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.