Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drmacjazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
toronto, canada
When I sync my ipad with my mac i can see everything on my mac except my Kindle book downloads. Anybody know where Kindle books are backed up to?

cheers

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
They live in the Kindle cloud. If you go to your Kindle account on the Amazon site it's like a master distribution center for all your associated devices. The books will always reside there.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
They're also backed up locally, in the device's iTunes backup file. They are encrypted using Kindle's DRM, but if you want the physical file you can use something like iPhone Backup Extractor to extract it from your backup.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
If your question is how to read books you've bought with your Mac on the iPad, then (as long as it is signed on with the same Amazon account), click on the Archived items button within the Kindle App on the iPad to load them.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Synced to wrong device maybe?

My guess is that you have done what I did at first. I did not change the selected Kindle device from my Mac to my iPad. My Macbook Pro was the default on the buying page. In fact now that I have Kindle on one of my iPhones (don't bother on a 3G - not really readable), when I buy a book, Kindle shows my iPhone as the default device. As someone posted above, you can go on the Amazon website to your account, then Kindle orders and finally manage your Kindle. You can then change the device for download of each book.

Wilson

mikery

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Kindle data from iPad to pc

Hi can you let me know how to extract kindle books from the local iTunes backup? I currently use the kindle books on my iPad kindle app and I was wondering if there is any way that I could remove them from my iPad to my pc. Thanks!

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Hi can you let me know how to extract kindle books from the local iTunes backup? I currently use the kindle books on my iPad kindle app and I was wondering if there is any way that I could remove them from my iPad to my pc. Thanks!

Why don't you just download them again to your PC from amazon.com? Go to "Your Digital Items" (towards upper-right of browser) and then to "Your Kindle Orders". Then, download the one you want directly to PC.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.