Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Can someone explain this to me?

Firstly, I'm a hardcore Mac fan and think that Time Machine was great idea.
I know it does COMPLETE backup, including software and applications.

My question is what is preventing the user from installing a time machine restore of another mac on a new one thus giving the new mac the same expensive software for free?

Example: I got a refurbished 2009 i7 iMac and would like to have Photoshop on my iMac too, it currently resides on my MBP.

Could I simply do a time machine back up from my MBP to my iMac and get the application pro bono?

I'm not an immoral person, but I don't want to fork over a few hundred dollars if I can legally do it without cost. Thanks MR!

UPDATE: Just used Migration Assistant and it worked flawlessly! Much better than using time machine. Good luck. :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you have the legal licenses for the software what's stopping you from using it on the new machine?

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
If you have the legal licenses for the software what's stopping you from using it on the new machine?

Exactly, you bought it but not attached to A mac you should be able to install it on your new machine whether you backed it up or not.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010

Wow. Fast responses. :)
I'm a bit confused when you say 'legal license'? :confused:

I purchased the software legally from their sources. I purchased Photoshop from Adobe and so fourth. I was under the impression that you could only download these one time though... Can I really just use the same serial number for my new machine???

To reiterate, I am of the belief that I have a legal license, not multiple.

C'mon, has anyone here actually used time machine for a system restore??? Where your applications transferred? Thanks again.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Time Machine by design doesn't work across devices. It locks backups down by MAC address unless you hack it.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
As in legally obtained.

The answer to your question is easily obtained by searching MRoogle or Google.

*FacePalm*
I clearly said from Adobe. Do you seriously think that I have more than one license to these programs? As if I wouldn't remember buying more?
And what exactly does that have to do with anything in the first place? Like I said earlier:

1) I paid for Photoshop
2) Installed on MBP
3) ...
4) Bought an iMac
5) Asking this question!!!

To reiterate for those not paying attention: When you do a backup from time machine, are your applications still running? That is the question that I am asking.

Thanks.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Time Machine by design doesn't work across devices. It locks backups down by MAC address unless you hack it.

No, it doesn't. It does uniquely identify them by MAC address, but it doesn't "lock" them down. There is certainly a "browse other Time Machine backups" option in the Time Machine menu, and at a minimum, you can browse the "Latest" backup and pull things out manually. I recently restored a backup from a computer which had a failed hard disk to a different computer. No hackery. The Mac OS X boot DVDs support this functionality as well.

The crux of it is that it's entirely no different than installing the software onto multiple computers using the vendor's disks. What will stop you is a) any machine locking/activation/security/whatever put into an application by the vendor (eg: Adobe), and b) your conscience.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
By "hack it", do you mean holding down the OPTION key as your click the Time Machine icon on the menu bar and then choosing "Browse Other Time Machine Disks..."? :D

You can also manually go into any machines backups via Finder and get what you're looking for too.

Orange™;11014405 said:
*FacePalm*
I clearly said from Adobe. Do you seriously think that I have more than one license to these programs? As if I wouldn't remember buying more?
And what exactly does that have to do with anything in the first place? Like I said earlier:

1) I paid for Photoshop
2) Installed on MBP
3) ...
4) Bought an iMac

To reiterate for those not paying attention: When you do a backup from time machine, are your applications still running? That is the question that I am asking.
First off, you don't need Time Machine to do this. You can connect your MBP and your iMac via Firewire or Ethernet and use the Migration Assistant to copy your applications (like Adobe, etc), settings and user documents from one Mac to another.

Second off, it depends on the application. I think apps that require an 'activation', like Adobe, can't simply be copied between machines (and run without being reactivated). The program certainly can figure out it's all of a sudden on a different Mac and react accordingly.

Most apps don't have a problem with being moved to a new Mac. Some do. I don't know of a definite list that says which do and which don't.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
No, it doesn't. It does uniquely identify them by MAC address, but it doesn't "lock" them down. There is certainly a "browse other Time Machine backups" option in the Time Machine menu, and at a minimum, you can browse the "Latest" backup and pull things out manually. I recently restored a backup from a computer which had a failed hard disk to a different computer. No hackery. The Mac OS X boot DVDs support this functionality as well.

The crux of it is that it's entirely no different than installing the software onto multiple computers using the vendor's disks. What will stop you is a) any machine locking/activation/security/whatever put into an application by the vendor (eg: Adobe), and b) your conscience.

That's what I was thinking...

My conscious, eh? Hmm....

Say that I ran a time machine restore from my MBP to my iMac and wasn't even aware that the software was transferred over. Then, upon starting up my iMac, I discover the programs are there. Are saying that you should delete those programs that are ready to use because it's unethical even though everything you did was legal? The software brought the applications over, isn't there a reason for that?

IDK, I'm not a pirate but this does seems bit different. Most students my age would probably torrent this stuff to begin with, I bought a legal copy and now want it on my iMac (far better screen for editing)... Is this really a moral problem?

I transferred the music I purchased for my MBP was transferred over, so what's the difference with the software? It's not like I'm selling hard drives full of software to people. So, how is this not legal?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Check out the license agreement with Adobe; in many cases you are allowed to install on a laptop and desktop at the same time; but use only on one machine at a time.
Didn't used PS for some time but I also would assume that PS need some kind of activation. As you moved between complete different HW there is a good chance that you need to reregister.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So, how is this not legal?
It's totally up the software creators' licenses that you're almost always required to "Agree" to before you can initially install their software on your computer.

Some creators are more lenient than others in their licensing and usage terms.

So I guess, to answer your question "how is this not legal?", you'd really need to go read through all of the licensing agreements that you agreed to. Perhaps it is legal for some.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
It's totally up the software creators' licenses that you're almost always required to "Agree" to before you can initially install their software on your computer.

Some creators are more lenient than others in their licensing and usage terms.

So I guess, to answer your question "how is this not legal?", you'd really need to go read through all of the licensing agreements that you agreed to. Perhaps it is legal for some.

By "hack it", do you mean holding down the OPTION key as your click the Time Machine icon on the menu bar and then choosing "Browse Other Time Machine Disks..."? :D

You can also manually go into any machines backups via Finder and get what you're looking for too.

First off, you don't need Time Machine to do this. You can connect your MBP and your iMac via Firewire or Ethernet and use the Migration Assistant to copy your applications (like Adobe, etc), settings and user documents from one Mac to another.

Second off, it depends on the application. I think apps that require an 'activation', like Adobe, can't simply be copied between machines (and run without being reactivated). The program certainly can figure out it's all of a sudden on a different Mac and react accordingly.

Most apps don't have a problem with being moved to a new Mac. Some do. I don't know of a definite list that says which do and which don't.

You've been really helpful, thanks a bunch! I'll report back here in a few days and see tell you guys the results.

Cheers

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Say that I ran a time machine restore from my MBP to my iMac and wasn't even aware that the software was transferred over. Then, upon starting up my iMac, I discover the programs are there. Are saying that you should delete those programs that are ready to use because it's unethical even though everything you did was legal? The software brought the applications over, isn't there a reason for that?

Bottom line - you'll have to check your license agreements (yeah, all that fine print crapola) for each and every app to see what sort of legal rights you have.

Some apps will be OK with you having and using the same app on multiple computers. Many will not.

That's the legal aspect. Ethics is something else altogether, although if you have the legal right to use multiple copies of an app, I wouldn't worry a lot about the ethics side - they gave you that right. But I doubt that most apps are distributed that way.

Note, many apps these days can "phone home" and report your usage of the software. I don't have any Adobe software, but I'm under the impression that Adobe does this, plus software key enforcement.

Bottom line, just because Time Machine "gave" you copies of apps doesn't mean that you can freely use them. You may find that you're locked out or that your usage is monitored. You'll have to scour the agreements to find your legal status.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Most software vendors allow you to install the software on 2 or 3 machines, with one license.

I have a feeling the OP was looking for help to illegally transfer software, which some of you have helped him with.
:rolleyes:

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Most software vendors allow you to install the software on 2 or 3 machines, with one license.

I have a feeling the OP was looking for help to illegally transfer software, which some of you have helped him with.
:rolleyes:

How about you leave this thread and... not come back? :eek:

On a completely unrelated note, another lamentable user has posted an incredibly unhelpful and quite inept comment with the classic moronic use of the rolleyes icon. :rolleyes:

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I clearly said from Adobe.
And I should believe you because ...?

Like I said earlier:

1) I paid for Photoshop
2) Installed on MBP
3) ...
4) Bought an iMac
And as I said earlier, your answer is easily found by searching. People have been discussing this for years now. Do you really think you were the first to think about it? With your attitude and the inability to know if you're looking into this for legitimate reasons, telling you that the answers are easily found is all I'm willing to help with. If you can't take the time to search then you're not worth helping.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Why aren't you using the Migration Assistant application?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

I think people are suspicious because you are using an unorthodox method of transferring files/applications to another computer. Not to mention your thread title and your focus on the licensing aspect of this procedure and not the procedure in itself. Most software licensing measures don't go so far as locking a piece of software to a specific machine or prevent you from running multiple copies on the same network, but some do. If you are simply upgrading to a new Mac and want to move your software to the new machine, I wouldn't think you would have a licensing problem, but you may want to check with the vendor. The question is why are you using Time Machine to move the files?

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
As others have said, Migration Assistant is what you should use to migrate your apps, settings, and data from one mac to another. You can use MA to migrate from a Time Machine backup if you like. But don't "restore" a nice fresh mac with the TM backup from an old mac - you'll get all the old crap you don't want. Use MA to do it - it works really well, and just brings the stuff you want onto the new OS, and not the garbage from the old OS that you don't want.

Yes, some apps will require reactivation on the new mac, but most won't. Yes, in most cases, it's perfectly legal and correct to do this as long as you don't continue to use it on the old machine.

Duncan

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I used the migration assistant like some of you advised and it worked great. It's what I wanted from the start, I'm glad some of you knew about this. :)

So now photo shop is on both my macs, I can only use it on one mac at a time though which actually doesn't bother me so thanks a lot guys. :eek:

And a special thanks to angelwatt for contributing nothing to this thread but libelous accusations and unhelpful comments. You were a real help. :rolleyes:

Why aren't you using the Migration Assistant application?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

I think people are suspicious because you are using an unorthodox method of transferring files/applications to another computer.
I must admit that I had completely forgotten about Migration Assistant, it's exactly what I wanted. Auch easier to use than time machine and know I only have the applications, not the baggage from my other mac. :)
If you are simply upgrading to a new Mac and want to move your software to the new machine, I wouldn't think you would have a licensing problem, but you may want to check with the vendor.
Yeah, it turned out fine. Adobe allows it to be installed on two computers but the catch is that they can only be used one at a time. Not a problem for me so cool.
The question is why are you using Time Machine to move the files?
I foolishly forgot about Migration Assistant, that was much better. I thought the only way to move the files was a restore from time machine, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The title was to get some attention on this subject(I was basically asking how to move the software on my new mac for free or even if I could, I only knew of time machine...), unfortunately it attracted some wrong users...

This thread can die now. Thanks MR :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.