Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joegoodone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
my computer is macbook pro(2.4 intel core 2 duo 2,2g 1067MHZ ddr3)
my system is mac os x10.6.4, the startup about 2 minutes! why so slow??

how let is faster? thanks.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Check to make sure you don't have applications in your Login Items. It's normal to have the iTunes Helper there, but if you have a lot of other applications, that can slow things down.

You can also consider running a system cleaning application, such as Onyx. Have it rebuild your system caches as well. Your first startup will be excruciatingly slow, but each successive startup will be much faster.

-Aaron-

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
System Preferences > Startup Disk > Select you OS X disk and click reboot

Also, reset SMC and PRAM and run Disk Utility

joegoodone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
how to check startup items? i check in /Library/StartupItems/ ,is this right? how to remove them? thanks.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
my computer is macbook pro(2.4 intel core 2 duo 2,2g 1067MHZ ddr3)
my system is mac os x10.6.4, the startup about 2 minutes! why so slow??

how let is faster? thanks.

Ok before you go zapping PRAM etc try these steps:

In an administrator account in the terminal (in utilities) run these commands after the prompt type in command hit return you will be asked for the admin password:
sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Run each, one at a time, when done clean your user cache files out:
Go to your user folder/Libary/Caches
Delete the contents Not the folder
There are more cache folders but try this one for starters. Once you've done this run disk utility repair permissions and then restart.

Let me know the results. Also how many fonts do you have? For example do you do graphic design and have a 1000 fonts active or something like that? If so that can cause major slow downs.

joegoodone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Ok before you go zapping PRAM etc try these steps:

In an administrator account in the terminal (in utilities) run these commands after the prompt type in command hit return you will be asked for the admin password:
sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Run each, one at a time, when done clean your user cache files out:
Go to your user folder/Libary/Caches
Delete the contents Not the folder
There are more cache folders but try this one for starters. Once you've done this run disk utility repair permissions and then restart.

Let me know the results. Also how many fonts do you have? For example do you do graphic design and have a 1000 fonts active or something like that? If so that can cause major slow downs.

I already do this , but still slow ,how to do now ? thanks.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Ok, could I get more details about what you use the computer for and when you noted the problem? For example was it after you updated the OS or installed an application etc.

Typical slow machine issues would be resolved with what you have done so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.