Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Anyone know how to make a silhouette of drawing via illustrator or inkscape? I want to know how to do the picture attached, how did they go from the color image to the decal?

Attachments

• snow_white.jpg
    snow_white.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 115
  • il_fullxfull.173074778.jpg
    il_fullxfull.173074778.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 92

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
The only way to do it well enough for a decal is to redraw it in illustrator, of course you can import the photo as a guide, but in the end, you have to redraw it.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
The only way to do it well enough for a decal is to redraw it in illustrator, of course you can import the photo as a guide, but in the end, you have to redraw it.

Really? Trace the lines with my mouse and pencil tool?

nkmo.

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Either put it on a separate layer and trace it with the pen tool. Or print it out and use tracing paper and a pen, then scan it back in. Neither option is very time consuming.

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
Or potentially use Live Trace in Illustrator to get a base and then refine.

Ray Manorak

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
My little tip is you can make the layer with the drawing on in illustrator a 'template' from the drop down menu and then draw in outline mode which is way easier to see what you're doing. It's easy enough to draw with the pen tool. Plus shapes tools plus pathfinder when possible.
Live trace never gives me the right results i find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.