Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
The button at the bottom, in the middle with the arrow pointing down into the box, what does it do? I can't find my e-mails anywhere after I press it and the manual does not tell me what it does. Thanks for anyones help.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    846.1 KB · Views: 121

Noremac4

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Had no idea that button was there until I read your post. Picked up my phone and opened my mail. There it was. Pushed the button and swoooosh my e-mail was gone and have no idea where it went.

So now, like you, would like to know what this is and where the mail goes.

EDIT: I think it's the trash!

swoods93631

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
The button at the bottom, in the middle with the arrow pointing down into the box, what does it do? I can't find my e-mails anywhere after I press it and the manual does not tell me what it does. Thanks for anyones help.

Well the button on my phone looks a little different, but it is the "trash" :eek:

3329lcw.png

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Had no idea that button was there until I read your post. Picked up my phone and opened my mail. There it was. Pushed the button and swoooosh my e-mail was gone and have no idea where it went.

So now, like you, would like to know what this is and where the mail goes.

I just did the same thing. It must be some kind of permanent delete because the e-mail I deleted wasn't even in the trash folder. Also, it only shows up on my g-mail accounts but on my AOL account a trash can is there instead.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have the trash button when I go to all mail. I was thinking trash too but the e-mails are not in my trash folder.

swoods93631

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, at first I couldnt find this icon in any of my mail accounts. Not even Gmail (I have three). I do not have "archive messages" turned on. I turned "archive messages on for one of my gmail accounts and poof that icon appeared.... Seems this is for archiving and in the settings page it says it saves them in an "all Mail Folder"..... meh turn it off!

Edit: And sure enough the mail is in the all mail folder in the indivdual accounts..

JohnThePacifist

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Victoria BC
what does this button do??

yes same problem here. I use it with a gmail account and I keep losing messages by accidentally hitting the button. Very happy with my iphone but this is crazy...it's like a disguised version of the Big Red Button you never push.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
To delete the archive icon and put back the delete icon,
Go to settings, mail, gmail, then turn archive messages off.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
That is the archive button. When you archive a message, it goes into the "all ail" folder. Get out of your inbox and you can find the folder in your gmail account page.

1slicks4

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
the button in mail with the box and arrow pointing down is basically archive button. this should typically appear when your configured using imap. you can find your lost mail in the "ALL MAIL" folder listed within your gmail account folders.. Best wishes!!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.