Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monniewolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,
Yesterday, around 6 pm, I lost two Applications: Adium (an IM client), and Adobe Acrobat. Adium was open at the time. I received an IM message, went to click on it, and nothing happened. Then I noticed the icon was grayed out. I opened Applications folder and it was gone. A spotlight search revealed nothing.
Just now I noticed Adobe Acrobat was missing. A look at Time Machine told me that it happened between two consecutive updates at 3:45 and 7:30 pm yesterday, so I assume it happened roughly the same time Adium blinked out of existence.
A search of this forum revealed one similar post about a year ago, but it seemed related to an OS X update issue. I have a unibody macbook (not pro) that shipped with 10.5 and the only only updates I have done are minor (to 10.5.8).
A disk utility scan verified my drive as being OK and a virus scan with Clam AV (just to be safe) revealed nothing.
I am a little worried about other programs suddenly going poof! just when I need them the most. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I re-installed Adium from the internet, and simply restores my Adobe folder in my Applications folder using Time Machine. Both work fine and seem to remember my set preferences (so the library support files remained unchanged apparently).

Thanks,
Monica

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This is the among the weirdest problems I can remember reading about anywhere. Are you sure no one else was messing around with your Mac?

I'd say if it happens again, be concerned. If not, chalk it up to a mysterious malfunction. Computers don't really do things on their own, do they? I mean, someone has to do it to the computer!

polimorfos

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
This is happening to me as well on 10.6.3!

The most bizarre problem I've ever experienced. I went to open some apps on my dock and a grey question mark appeared. I opened my application folder and they were gone! Firefox, Skype, 4 different versions of the music app Ableton Live, MS Office, and more!

The apps I reinstalled seem to work OK so far but this is completely bizarre.
Booted from the install disk and repaired disk (showed no problems) and permissions and performed all AppleJack operations. The applications have dissappeared!!

Did you ever discover a solution Monica?

racedude

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Carmel, IN
This is happening to me as well on 10.6.3!

The most bizarre problem I've ever experienced. I went to open some apps on my dock and a grey question mark appeared. I opened my application folder and they were gone! Firefox, Skype, 4 different versions of the music app Ableton Live, MS Office, and more!

The apps I reinstalled seem to work OK so far but this is completely bizarre.
Booted from the install disk and repaired disk (showed no problems) and permissions and performed all AppleJack operations. The applications have dissappeared!!

Did you ever discover a solution Monica?

Same exact thing happened me today, I'm running 10.6.4. Luckily, I had my Time Cachine set up with my Time Capsule, but I lost about 14 applications randomly including Safari, Time Machine, iMovie, and more... Luckily I could still access Time Machine through my menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.