Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcervera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Hi,
I'm looking for personal budgeting software. I've done several hours worth of research on these three and cant seem to find a clear winner.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has had experience with a couple of these and can point me in the right direction. Thank you!!

MaxBeagleton

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Upstate NY
Moneydance

I have purchased both iBank and Moneydance. iBank was okay, but reconciling was awkward, in my opinon. I switched to Monedance and found it a little better. One very good thing about Moneydance is that the iPhone app is free AND works very well, while iBank charges $4.99.

Coming from a long history of PCs, there is simply nothing that has yet compared to MS Money. Sadly, MS decided to kill MS Money and is one of the reasons I have switched to MACs.

fcervera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thank you for the input everyone

It looks like I might have found a winner. It's a little on the pricey side but seems to get the job done. It's YNOB.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
When I switched nearly 3 years ago, moving from Windows/Quicken to OS X, I had to find a financial program that fit my needs.

After downloading and trying both MoneyDance and iBank, I paid for MoneyDance. Importing my Quicken 10+ year file proved pretty easy and setting up an extension to check some stocks was also pretty easy.

Updates so far have been free and have been very pleased with it.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I've been using Quicken on a PC for well over 10 years. Just recently made the switch to a Macbook Pro. Love it, but was shocked to find no Quicken for Mac.

My solution? I plan to bootcamp or do parallels for Win 7, but in the meantime, I decided to give mint.com a try. I love it! No reconciling, has a great iPhone app. I like how it consolidates my credit cards and checking account all in one view. Pretty slick interface, nice budgeting. It's free, why don;t you give it a try and see if it could work for you?

The only downside is no online bill pay. But, I can do that through my banks web interface, which is not too bad.

I see no reason to keep using Quicken.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I bought ibank last xmas and could never get it to import files from Wells Fargo. I just installed the trial version of the new version and same problem. Totally useless for me.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I've been using Quicken on a PC for well over 10 years. Just recently made the switch to a Macbook Pro. Love it, but was shocked to find no Quicken for Mac.

My solution? I plan to bootcamp or do parallels for Win 7, but in the meantime, I decided to give mint.com a try. I love it! No reconciling, has a great iPhone app. I like how it consolidates my credit cards and checking account all in one view. Pretty slick interface, nice budgeting. It's free, why don;t you give it a try and see if it could work for you?

The only downside is no online bill pay. But, I can do that through my banks web interface, which is not too bad.

I see no reason to keep using Quicken.

There is a version for the Mac - Quicken Essentials. It's missing a lot compared to the Windows version, but it is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.