Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xray328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I bought a bum emac a week or so ago and the seller (our sons school) is letting us exchange it for another. They have 1.0 Ghz - 1.42 Ghz models. I'd especially like to avoid the 1.25 Ghz ones because of the capacitor issues, but the 1.42 Ghz would be pretty nice if I have the choice. Is there any difference on the outsides of the emacs to know which is which? I assume I'm going to a big room full of these and I'd like to be sure I pick the right one.

Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
^ There is no description at the bottom of eMac. Specs sticker is on inner side of optical drive cover ->here

Thanks, never saw an eMac in person and the Macs I have, had at least some model information on the bottom. Hopefully the eMacs are powered up to open the ODD, but if that is the case, one can easily look at the ABOUT THIS MAC window or into the System Profiler.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
^ Someone with long fingernails is able to open optical cover when eMac is unpowered :D Otherwise, any thin tool will do.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
On our eMac, you can just press on one side of the optical drive door, and it will open a gap on the opposite side making it easier to open by hand.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
All the info (original configuration) is inside the optical cover like the others said. Also you can look up the serial number to find more info about it like the age and plant manufactured. But my eMac serial number says its a first gen Mac Pro. :cool:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
All the info (original configuration) is inside the optical cover like the others said. Also you can look up the serial number to find more info about it like the age and plant manufactured. But my eMac serial number says its a first gen Mac Pro. :cool:

because they changed the serial number at one point so you get that misleading info , so dont get the idea of selling your eMac as a Mac Pro now :D

but to the point part from that little sticker in the flap which is sometimes missing or if the flap was changed can be misleading there are no visible signs really apart from the first generations 700mhz had a silver ram door at the bottom , the later had a white one , but the last generations usb2.0 too had a white door, so unless you take them apart .. or power them up and ask "about this mac " they look the same really

and even the model number can be misleading even if its pointing out its a emac as for example the education only 1 ghz usb 2.0 model had the same MPN number as the 1.25 model usb 2.0 model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.