Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
aranhamo said:
Well can you blame me for getting discouraged when my mom has 10 (yes 10!) Apple stores within an hour and a half of her house, and the nearest one to me is 6 hours away? There are 24 Apple stores within 6 hours of my mom's house, depending on traffic, and she's not even a Mac user. She's never been to an Apple store, and I've been to six of those 24 stores.

Our local CompUSA is getting better at not putting the giant ladder right in the middle of the Apple section, and I haven't seen a totally smashed up Mac in there in a few months...but it's not the same as having an Apple store.

No, I can't blame you for getting discouraged. I was trying to point out that cities like Salt Lake have a good chance in the next wave of expansion of being included. For your sake, I hope you get a store next door.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
aranhamo said:
I think they should open a store in the Gateway; it's a fairly new, upscale mall with some big names in it. Also, next year some major remodeling work will start in the other two older downtown malls, so traffic at the Gateway will probably increase. Or is Apple waiting for the downtown malls to finish remodeling so they can open a store in Crossroads Mall?
I think an Apple store at the Gateway mall would be really successful! I'd rather see it there than the Crossroads mall. If there was an Apple Store in Salt Lake I would be happy, it's still about four-five hours from me but I go to Salt Lake probably six or seven times a year to see family and friends. That's more than enough times for me to get my fix. ;)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
aranhamo said:
Who is montgomerymall?

At my old job, our assigned Apple rep teased us for months saying that Apple was planning on opening a store in Park City, but eventually she said she didn't think Apple would ever open a store in Utah. I think they should open a store in the Gateway; it's a fairly new, upscale mall with some big names in it. Also, next year some major remodeling work will start in the other two older downtown malls, so traffic at the Gateway will probably increase. Or is Apple waiting for the downtown malls to finish remodeling so they can open a store in Crossroads Mall?

Or is Steve shunning Utah because we haven't voted Democrat in like ever? He did give that interview a while ago indicating that he thought most Mac users were democrats, and Utah is solidly republican. He might be forgetting though that in Salt Lake City itself, the mayor is a democrat, as well as a majority of the city council. And the only democrat elected to national office is the congressman representing Salt Lake City.

Whatever the case, there's a million people in the Salt Lake valley, and if you add Utah valley, it's more than 1.5 million. All those people currently have to drive all the way to Las Vegas to visit an Apple store.

Montgomery Mall is the suggestions e-mail box at the managers desk at the retail Montgomery Mall Maryland Apple Store.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
OK, with all the openings this weekend (6 mini-stores and the first store in Delaware) I thought it might be good to post the stores we know from job listings that are to be opened soon. Apple has said it will have 100 retail stores opened by the end of 2004 - that means, with 93 stores opened by this weekend, that at least seven of the following 13 locations will be opened by Dec. 31st.

1. Danbury Fair Mall - Danbury, Connecticut*
  2. Victoria Gardens - Rancho Cucamonga, California*
  3. Alderwood - Lynnwood, Washington*
  4. South Shore Plaza - Braintree, Massachusetts*
  5. Century City - Los Angeles, California*
  6. Jordan Creek Town Center - West Des Moines, Iowa
  7. St. Louis Galleria - St. Louis, Missouri*
  8. Carousel Center - Syracuse, New York*
  9. Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida
  10. Bethesda Row - Bethesda, Maryland*
  11. Regent Street - London, England*
  12. Bullring - Birmingham, England
  13. St. John's Town Center - Jacksonville, Florida

* indicates stores that are most likely to be opened by year's end. The others, such as St. John's Town Center, have either a projected 2005 opening date or because of their new listing dates are unlikely to make the 2004 time frame. The Regent Street store will almost certainly be among those opened this year.

In addition, Apple has announced, with no date or exact location, that it will open a store in Nagoya, Japan.

There are many, many rumors of other store locations including ones in Toronto, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Providence, and on and on. None of these have yet been confirmed by Apple. For information on these check out ifoAppleStore's website.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Monster.com has a new listing for a store manger job at a Dallas Apple store. There are no listings yet on Apple's site to confirm whether this is for one of the existing stores or for a new store in the Dallas area. We will wait and see.

update: Apple now has Manager openings for both Dallas area stores - looks like no new Dallas stores in the immediate future.

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Sayhey said:
  1. Danbury Fair Mall - Danbury, Connecticut*
  2. Victoria Gardens - Rancho Cucamonga, California*
  3. Alderwood - Lynnwood, Washington*
  4. South Shore Plaza - Braintree, Massachusetts*
  5. Century City - Los Angeles, California*
  6. Jordan Creek Town Center - West Des Moines, Iowa
  7. St. Louis Galleria - St. Louis, Missouri*
  8. Carousel Center - Syracuse, New York*
  9. Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida
  10. Bethesda Row - Bethesda, Maryland*
  11. Regent Street - London, England*
  12. Bullring - Birmingham, England
  13. St. John's Town Center - Jacksonville, Florida

Great...two more stores within a stone's throw of my mom's house... :mad:

(I've got to keep up the whining until Apple opens a store in my state.)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Apple has officially announced the opening dates for two new stores. The Victoria Gardens store in Rancho Cucamonga, California will open on Thursday, October, 28th at 10:00 am. The Danbury Fair Mall store, in Danbury, Connecticut, will open the following Saturday, October, 30th also at 10:00 am. These will be the 24th store in California and the 2nd in Connecticut. They are also 11th store in the New York metro area and the 9th store in the Los Angeles area.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Sayhey said:
Apple has officially announced the opening dates for two new stores. The Victoria Gardens store in Rancho Cucamonga, California will open on Thursday, October, 28th at 10:00 am. The Danbury Fair Mall store, in Danbury, Connecticut, will open the following Saturday, October, 30th also at 10:00 am. These will be the 24th store in California and the 2nd in Connecticut. They are also 11th store in the New York metro area and the 9th store in the Los Angeles area.

I have a good friend that lives in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, but sadly he's not a Mac person. With all these stores in New York, come on Apple where is our Flag Ship Store in Boston? :D

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
Danbury Store -- Woooohooooo!!!!

So happy to see the annoucment finally that the Apple store in the Danbury Fair Mall is opening this Saturday.

The mall stores open at 9am, and the Apple store is opening at 10am.

I'm thinking of getting there around 7:30am, to be in line for the first 1000 free tshirt give away.

I'm very excited about this because in this area we haven't had anything for an Apple store. I used to drive to southern New Hampshire for a cool Apple Reseller.

I'm a bit afraid of being bombarded by guys/girls who worship Steve Jobs as God. But it should be worth it.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
criana said:
I'm a bit afraid of being bombarded by guys/girls who worship Steve Jobs as God. But it should be worth it.

The Church of Jobs? Nah! Now if it was the Church of Woz that might make some sense! :D If they get to be too much of a problem just dazzle them with stories of free black U2 iPods and they will too busy wiping the drool from their mouths to bother you anymore. ;)

Enjoy the store and if can get any pictures post some here.

johnnyAPPLEchip

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2004
criana,

Do you not know there is a store at the West Farms Mall in West Hartford/Farmington, CT? Why drive all the way to Southern New Hampshire?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
johnnyAPPLEchip said:
criana,

Do you not know there is a store at the West Farms Mall in West Hartford/Farmington, CT? Why drive all the way to Southern New Hampshire?

There is a really great explanation for the trip to Southern New Hampshire. Any purchases there are Sales Tax Free. What is you Sales Tax in CT?

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Apple has announced the opening dates of three new stores. The Alderwood Mall store (in Lynnwood, Washington) will open next Thursday, November 4th at 10:00 am. The Jordan Creek Mall (in West Des Moines, Iowa) and the Carousel Center (in Syracuse, New York) stores will both open on Saturday, November 6th at 10:00 am.

The Jordan Creek store is the first store in the state of Iowa. The Alderwood Mall store is the fourth store in Washington state and in the Seattle metro area. The Carousel Center store, the only mini-store of the three, will be the eighth store in New York state.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
New stores in Toronto?

Apple Insider is reporting that Apple is negotiating for space in Toronto with an opening in mid 2005 with 3 additional stores planned in Canada.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Ugg said:
Apple Insider is reporting that Apple is negotiating for space in Toronto with an opening in mid 2005 with 3 additional stores planned in Canada.

Nice, finally! I wonder where the additional stores will be... Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary would be cool... I wouldn't complain if they opened one here in Regina either!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
~Shard~ said:
Nice, finally! I wonder where the additional stores will be... Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary would be cool... I wouldn't complain if they opened one here in Regina either!

Yeah I saw this too. They name Yorkdale Mall (a 5 minute drive from my place :) ) as the site. Yorkdale is undergoing renovations and it's likely the store will be going in there, but the store map of the "to be renovated" area didn't list the apple store. Maybe I'll take my girlfriend to a movie or something this weekend and see if there are any map updates.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Here's a semi-random question, and kinda on topic.

What's the deal with the Goodie Bags? Aren't they just random bags of merchandise that you buy for whatever price?

So, if I'm right, when are these available and how much do they typically cost? They don't offer them at every Store opening, right?

Thanks!

...oh, and GO CANADA! :D

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
Danbury Store Grand Opening

Well I went to the Grand Opening of the Danbury Store.

Everyone was very cool. We got there at 8:30 and there were about 30 people lined up, we got in line. By 10:00 there were easily the 1000 people.

They let people in in shifts, as we went in all the Apple store employees were lined up and gave everyone a high 5 as they came in, kinda like a team roster. LOL.

Also I've lived in this area all my life and never saw people at this mall clapping and screaming for a store opening. But people were today.

Also, people kept coming up asking if we were all waiting to see a celebrity. We got our t-shirts.

-------

When I referred to the store in New Hamsphire, this was before Apple had their corporate stores. Back in like 1995.

Yes I'm aware of the West Farms store, and that has been my store for some time, because it's either that or White Plains (which is a very small store). West Farms isn't bad, but right now I have to drive through Waterbury with all it's construction, so I'm looking at a good 45-60 minutes to get there and then that again to go back.

The new store in Danbury is only 2 minutes from my work and 20 minutes from home.

Below are some pics of the Danbury Store Grand Opening.

03_frontofapplestore.jpg

This was around 8:30am

07_preparingtogoin.jpg

This was about to go in, if you look to the right that's the line behind us and it went all the way back to the macy's.

09_goingin.jpg

Going in

16_softwarewall.jpg

18_geniusbar.jpg

So anyways -- it was pretty cool!! and I wouldn't have known about it, if for not reading it on here.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Criana, thanks for the pics! It looks as if fun was had by one and all. Hmmm.... two minutes from the store - not bad, not bad. Except maybe for your boss. :D

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
(not much of a) Yorkdale update....

~Shard~ said:
Good excuse to see if there are any updates, nice one! ;)

Well I took my girlfriend to see "Ray" on Saturday, (I would definately recommend the film if you're interested in his music) and I went by the map they had of the renovation. It was pretty disappointing... there was even less information shown! I remember a list of places and approximate dates that were scheduled to open up the last time I saw the board, now they just have the layout with only two store spaces saying they'll be "opening in Spring 2005". :(

...mind you they are rather big stores... I wonder if Apple is going into one of them. I'm hoping that they do!!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Raid said:
Well I took my girlfriend to see "Ray" on Saturday, (I would definately recommend the film if you're interested in his music) and I went by the map they had of the renovation. It was pretty disappointing... there was even less information shown! I remember a list of places and approximate dates that were scheduled to open up the last time I saw the board, now they just have the layout with only two store spaces saying they'll be "opening in Spring 2005". :(

...mind you they are rather big stores... I wonder if Apple is going into one of them. I'm hoping that they do!!

Keep us posted. Although Toronto is too far away for me to go regardless if they open an Apple Store or not, it's still nice to know from a Canadian perspective!

And thanks for the movie review on "Ray". :)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
ThinkSecret is reporting the following:

Apple plans to open 40 new retail stores in 2005, sources say, including its first locations in Canada, while retail store employees will sport a collared shirt in place of their T-shirts at the turn of the year. Also in the works: a radio/walkie-talkie system to ease retail employee communication.

Toronto and a yet unknown location in Quebec will be the first Canadian cities to sport Apple retail stores, according to sources. Although unconfirmed, Montreal is the likely location for the Quebec store--long-time Apple reseller B.Mac recently closed its two locations in the city.

These are the same folks who told us that there would be a Spanish Fort store open by now - so take their predictions with a grain of salt. However, this jump of near 60% in openings maybe possible with the new mini-stores as part of the plan. The two Canadian locations are certainly possible.

yuckyuck

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2004
A Second NYC Store

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned on the forum, but Apple will be opening a second store in Manhattan...somewhere in the 50s (streets). So, that means there will be both a SoHo store and midtown store. I believe it will open in 2005. Sorry for those of you who live hours from the nearest Apple store...New Yorkers will soon have multiple stores to choose from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.