Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Hello - I recently picked up a 1.25 GHz (single processor) G4 MDD running Leopard and I'm having difficulty getting it to connect to my home wireless network via a trendnet TEW-424UB usb wireless adapter.

I installed the 10.5 drivers that came with the dongle and thought I was on the right track. I plugged in the TEW-424UB and a lil' orange icon appeared in my dock. Then a window popped open where I was going to put in my network info but I couldn't because it kept asking me to activate my WLAN in system preferences.

How / Where do I activate the wireless in Leopard?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Hello - I recently picked up a 1.25 GHz (single processor) G4 MDD running Leopard and I'm having difficulty getting it to connect to my home wireless network via a trendnet TEW-424UB usb wireless adapter.

I installed the 10.5 drivers that came with the dongle and thought I was on the right track. I plugged in the TEW-424UB and a lil' orange icon appeared in my dock. Then a window popped open where I was going to put in my network info but I couldn't because it kept asking me to activate my WLAN in system preferences.

How / Where do I activate the wireless in Leopard?
In System Preferences. Under Network.

sgrddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
McMurray, PA
Hey. I had a perhaps similar issue when I installed an ASUS wireless USB thing in my PMG4. Even when I went to the network window, the option to enable the new adapter was not there right away. I didn't realize it at first, but it seemed to take several moments for it to pop up. I think I might have had to restart the machine too.

Let us know if you get it working.

bitethe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
I haven't been able to get back to the issue yet, but when I went to system preferences > network I got a window that lists ethernet - internal modem - firewire - and another "ethernet" connection that showed up when I got the dongle to show up in the dock.

I've selected that & tried to go to the configure screen but I don't see anything that says wireless. The diagnostic feature won't do anything because it's not an airport product.

I see TCP/IP - Appletalk - PPPOE - 8021.x - Proxie - Ethernnet. * This list of tabs is from memory ... I'm not infront of my machine at the moment.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if its another ethernet connection (so it hows 2 ethernet connections) try one of them as its the same on my hackintosh netbook the wirelesscard is only shown as a second ethernet connection due to the fact that its not a airport card so my snow leopard doesnt think its wireless and shows it as ethernet
try one of these ethernets , wont harm ,but could bring your wireless to work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.